1050 Gallon Tank Pics

How much a skimmer pulls out is not based on system size, it is based on organic load. If the skimmer is skimming too much it is because there are a lot of organics still in the water. Once the skimmer starts to catch up to the organic load, you should be able to run it at full power.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6418030#post6418030 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aruba1334
I would love some bartletts and they are on the wish list with a few other things, Chromis will be one of the last things added I still have a lot of fairy wrasses I want as far as the skimmer I have it up to 3 pumps running but not full power, when I bought it I think deltec advertised that with the AP1003 3 pumps would do 900 gallons on a heavy load, and I thought with what I want to have I will need 4 and more so when I saw doug at the IMAC convention he had it set-up with 4 pumps I jumped on it thinking with the four pumps it will be allright for now, I can upgrade later I didn't realize this skimmer is a beast it will handle twice what I have and ask for more nog. I have not been able to turn the fourth pump on yet if I did it would overskim so much I would have water all over the floor from it running out the top so by overskimmimg I mean it will drain your sump very quickly if you are not careful. I am impressed with the skimmer and Doug's service was second to none all the way through the set-up and afterwards, I would recommend the deltec products to anyone.

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but wha you describe when turning all 4 pumps on is not overskimming, but rather a skimmer that needs the water level lowered so the water doesn't overflow. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to run your skimmer with 4 pumps on in even a 20g tank. Then again, I do not own a Deltec (some people behind my back claim I am "toocheap to fork out the money"), but based ont he pysics of the skimmer and the owrkings of others I ahve seen with multiple pumps, you should be able to run all the pumps.

On another note, your fish list rivals the budget of some smaller countries:lol: :lol: :lol: It does make me feel much better however as I thought I had too many fish already. I am nowehre near your list:lol:

Yes, I think it may be a question of terminology: almost every reef enthusiast has heard many times over that 'you can never over-skim' which I guess implies to most--get a bigger skimmer. When you get all those extra fish in there the 1004 should be the right beast for the job. What dgasmd did mention does bring up a point: what is a reasonable maximum fish load in that size of a tank? I would have no idea. Another question I was wondering about-in your tank is with those eels, can you keep any shrimps, crabs, stars etc. ?
I have been following a number of threads of large tanks and there has been some animated discussion about whether to use 250w or 400w but I have hardly seen anybody suggest using 1000w. I am sure a lot of people might now try after seeing your tank, if they want to spend the bucks for the results. Did you ever hear of someone else using the 1000w and finding it to be too much on a big tank?

1000 watters are not at all necessary for a tank this size. Just take a look at the 1700 in this same forum. His tank is lit with 400's and 250's and he is getting outstanding results. But hey, if you've got the money and don't mind dealing with the intense heat issues, then go for it.

Well, it goes to show that in keeping reef tanks there are some terms like needing, overskimming, too much or too little light, etc. that are still up for debate or interpretation LOL...........

Travis: I don't want to derail the many truly interesting topics covered in this thread back to the light discussion but what is mandatory and what makes a significent change for the better--which is what Aruba said happened when he upgraded to 1000w--is obviously quite different. Let's face it, everything in reefkeeping is an indulgence anyway so its just a matter of degree.

Travis-

I have had this skimmer for months now it has performed very well as far as it catching up it has had plenty of time to adjust or break in I could turn on all four pumps but in order to do so I would need to turn down the other three which does not make sence, so I am quite happy with how it performs maybe someone else out there has the same model and is getting more out of it but for me it is perfect. The 1000 watt lights are neccessary for my aquarium because I like how my corals look with them on there a lot of the other aquariums also supplment with flourescents to enchance I just run halides, and it works for me I am sure there is someone that will tell me I am wrong but I do not think we can ever match what the sun does to a reef, and I have been under 180 ft in the ocean and it is still pretty bright down there so in my opinion the more light the better. I am sure there are lots that will disagree but once again for me it works and I saw a huge difference in my corals from 400 watts to 1000 watts but not everyone has the same goals as I did.

DGASMD-

I would be happy to help you play catch-up if you wouldn't mind trading a few of mine for that Moorish Idol that you have there I would love to have one that would eat and not destroy my reef, when I was in Hawaii I followed a pair of them for a long time under water watching how they swam and what they eat it was cool to see them with the full streamers, so if the good doctor would like a few fairy wrasses for that pretty system I can help:rollface: :D :D

JumboShrimp,

The eel I have in the display has not bothered anything that I know of I feed him krill daily on a stick so he is always there waiting for food, I have quite a few cleaner shrimp and hundreds of crabs and snails and he has not bothered them, the other eels are in the sump I do have crabs and snails but I don't trust the triggers and the yellow moray I think they would eat cleaner shrimp. As far as lights I would not be afraid to add 1000's to anything just as long as you get rid of the heat it should be fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6424705#post6424705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aruba1334
DGASMD-

I would be happy to help you play catch-up if you wouldn't mind trading a few of mine for that Moorish Idol that you have there I would love to have one that would eat and not destroy my reef, when I was in Hawaii I followed a pair of them for a long time under water watching how they swam and what they eat it was cool to see them with the full streamers, so if the good doctor would like a few fairy wrasses for that pretty system I can help:rollface: :D :D

If you were nearby, I would gladly let you have the idol. Although he is eating well, doing just fine, and getting along with everyone, I am begining to think it actually looks out of place in the tank. So big compared to all the other smaller fish. Truth be told, I would even get the achiles and desjardini out too if I could.

It is funny that as I was reading you fish list, a friend at a LFS called me telling me he had a few fish coming in an order tomorrow. There are a few fish in that order he had ordered for me like a pair of rhomboid wrasses, some flame wrasses, and a black tang. The wrasses are such a strong temptation, but with my $25 solariensis being such a nasty wrasse to newcomers, it is hard to risk $800 in new fairy wrasses for him to assassinate.:lol: :lol:

Take a few shots when you get a chance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6424705#post6424705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aruba1334
Travis-

I have had this skimmer for months now it has performed very well as far as it catching up it has had plenty of time to adjust or break in I could turn on all four pumps but in order to do so I would need to turn down the other three which does not make sence, so I am quite happy with how it performs maybe someone else out there has the same model and is getting more out of it but for me it is perfect. The 1000 watt lights are neccessary for my aquarium because I like how my corals look with them on there a lot of the other aquariums also supplment with flourescents to enchance I just run halides, and it works for me I am sure there is someone that will tell me I am wrong but I do not think we can ever match what the sun does to a reef, and I have been under 180 ft in the ocean and it is still pretty bright down there so in my opinion the more light the better. I am sure there are lots that will disagree but once again for me it works and I saw a huge difference in my corals from 400 watts to 1000 watts but not everyone has the same goals as I did.

That is strange about the skimmer. I wouldn't think Deltec would put too much pump power on one skimmer as they are known for putting plug and play skimmers on the market that you pretty much just plug in and it pulls serious nog without much adjustment necessary. But I have never layed hands on a 1004 or any Deltec (yet) for that matter so you would know better than I. In regards to the 1000 watters, I agree, there is a point where they would benefit a tank, especially when running 20k's like you are. I was just pointing out that they weren't "needed" to have nice sps. Either way, what you are doing is working great for you and your tank shows it. I'm looking forward to more pics.:)

Anyway we could get an updated "full tank" shot?

really is coming along nice and i love the fish list also!

Nick

Agree w/ aforementioned, the Aruba club needs new pics of your awesome tank. :>) Just can't get enough of it! BTW: nominated you for TOTM.

MORE PICS

MORE PICS

66655CHRISTMAS__2005__BRANNON_444__2__Small.JPG
66655CHRIS_Small.jpg
66655CHRISTMAS__2005__BRANNON_467__2__Small.JPG
66655CHRT_Small.jpg

Here are a few more pics as requested.

the crosshatches wont touch the cleaners, neither will the dwarf eels.. I can't say for the brazilian golden moray.

Are you still interested in a male crosshatch? (you have 3 females right?)

I would love to have a male crosshatch and one day I will buy one I just wanted to get some anthias and other little fish in there first and I have been thinking about adding a school of 7 to 10 blue tangs if I can ever get the little ones through quarantine.

7-10 blue tangs added to the already crazy fish load!! Your insane! :) lol.. that is quite a list. What about bi-color anthias?

aruba1334, do you happen to know the name of the last coral you posted? I just bought a frag that looks similar to it.

I love Bi-Colors anthias just have not had luck with them yet but I would like to have some, I currently have Bartletts and they are eating so we will see what happens. That Acropora is a yongei I have 4 of them and they seem to grow very fast, I am having a problem with my lense for my camera I bought a cannon 100 macro lense for my rebel xt and I cannot get it to focus right so as soon as I get it figured out I will get some more coral shots up.

Back