118g Tank Project

Wow
Well then ,JF must know something Klaus & I don't know.;) ;)
Maybe he is talking Bubble Master ,which that be wrong too.
In any case enjoy your project things are looking Great ,hopefully we see you there ,Have you been to WF lately ,I heard they have done some changes ,ofcourse we saw the store last feb.
Have a good long weekend :D

It's nice to see another Canadian reefer on RC. Great setup and all the plans on CAD though it looks like SolidWorks to me. By any chance, can you show me the photo how you attach the light fixtures to the canopy? In the 3D CAD plan, you show the use of aircraft cable to hold the fixutres.

Thanks Lavith !

Cheers to another fellow Canadian reefer :)

I think this picture pretty much explains everything:

Picture026-2.jpg

The halides are suspended to a small wood "beam". The T5 are directly screwed in the top of my canopy.

Hope that helps ! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10479457#post10479457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lavith
It's nice to see another Canadian reefer on RC. Great setup and all the plans on CAD though it looks like SolidWorks to me. By any chance, can you show me the photo how you attach the light fixtures to the canopy? In the 3D CAD plan, you show the use of aircraft cable to hold the fixutres.

My tank has officially started to cycle a couple of minutes ago !!!

After a week of adding salt, measuring my salinity and pH and ensuring that everything was set on my Profilux controller, I decided tonight was the time to start the cycle.

So, I went to my local LFS and purchased 13lbs of the best quality live rock. For sure I got screwed on the price, since the guy was charging 15$ / lbs. :rolleyes: But hey, my motto is get screwed a little, screw a little :) hehe I also, feel confident that the rock has been completly cycled, since it's been at the LFS for months now..since almost half a year :) I must be the only crazy enough person, to purchase it :)

Anyways, it's just to start the cycle in my tank. I'm suppose to get so more live rock from my brother in law on the weekend. I might go searching for other sources of live rock. I like my rock to be small with lot of coraline algae on it. This rock, is very small and light weight.

I also reserved two true percula clown, that really looked in great shape.
When do you guys think I could add them to my tank, in a couple of days ?

Here's some pics (sorry for the low quality, my camera sucks big time!)

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

Super nice set up. Almost perfect! Wonderful patience. I worry about that dowel light support. I bet that it will bend with heat and steam. And if it bends enough, then the ends will come out of the holders on the ends. Maybe a galvanized steel pipe would be better. Or aluminum conduit.

Also You may want to trim off that extra cable from the lights just to keep the rust down, and they really aren't ever going to be used as indicated again. So no reason to keep them tied up nice like that. Just cut em out.

Your stand is stunning. You picked a great color. Truely Unique!

Almost perfect ! hehe :)

For sure, there's a lot of things I want to fix..but that will be for when I move (in 1-2 years). For instance, I want to redo all the plumbing in PVC.

It's noted, I will try and replace the light support, by something in metal or aluminium. I would be surprised if it bended (because it's covered in water proof stain), but just for safety measure :)

Thanks for the tips !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10571496#post10571496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dogstar74
Super nice set up. Almost perfect! Wonderful patience. I worry about that dowel light support. I bet that it will bend with heat and steam. And if it bends enough, then the ends will come out of the holders on the ends. Maybe a galvanized steel pipe would be better. Or aluminum conduit.

Also You may want to trim off that extra cable from the lights just to keep the rust down, and they really aren't ever going to be used as indicated again. So no reason to keep them tied up nice like that. Just cut em out.

Your stand is stunning. You picked a great color. Truely Unique!

Chris, it does helps. I use the pendants as well. Made by PFO. I am making some sort of hang over bracket for aluminum L shape beam (from canadian tire) and hope that it doesn't bow due to weight of fixtures.

I really like the gadget you have. :-D

Thanks Lavith ! :)

Happy it helped you !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10577249#post10577249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lavith
Chris, it does helps. I use the pendants as well. Made by PFO. I am making some sort of hang over bracket for aluminum L shape beam (from canadian tire) and hope that it doesn't bow due to weight of fixtures.

I really like the gadget you have. :-D

Water parameters this morning:

Temp: 80.8F
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.026

I need to get some Salifert test kits ! :)

Simply awesome setup! Glad you have planned so well/thoroughly. Took me 1.5 years from time I bought the tank to fillingwith water due to planning :)

Thanks everyone ! It's really encouraging all the great comments ! :)

I received 16lbs of tonga Nui live rock this afternoon from my brother in law.

At this point, I really need to receive my skimmer soon. Since it will help to cure my live rock. Hopefully, my LFS should be receiving my Bubble King mini 160 this week. I will also need to get more live rock. I really like the Figi premium live rock, with all it's purple coraline algae :)

What should I get other then the Salifert test kits ? I was told that they were pretty much the standard on the market ?

My tank has been running very well now for a couple of days, I haven't needed to touch anything (except for small refills of my RO/DI container) ! So I'm pretty happy about that, because on my previous tank, it was constant maintenance headache ! Now, with my Profilux, everything is taken care of :)

Only problem I have been having, is maintaining correctly the temperature of my tank. My nominal value would be 78-80F. But so far, my tank has been running from 82F (during the night) to up to 84-85F during the day. Also, since my Profilux automatically shutdown the MH if the temperature get's too high, well my Metal Halides haven't been on too much lately.

So to fix that problem, I've managed to purchase from "eBay" ;) the following Chiller:

Peltech Ocean Geotronic Thermotronic Reversible Conditioner model 400

Here's a description:

Rated for up to 106g
Super Quiet 27db
20" x 6" x 8"
300w
20lbs
Come complete with Digital Temp Controller
Simple to Install
Can be mounted Horizontial, Vertical, or even upside down

OCEAN GEOtronic, the most innovative solution for thermoregulating your aquarium, all year round. The thermotronic technology allows the continuous, constant, and smooth thermoregulation of your aquarium, without any thermal shocks.
OCEAN GEOtronic models do not have any annoying vibrations and do not use gas.
There are no moving parts to wear out on the inside, adn all the models are made of corrosion resistant materials and they do not require specific maintance
Easy to install, completely automatic and verversible, OCEAN GEOtronic heats and cools either salt and freshwater.

Actually, I like the flexible plumbing. It's just that it looks a little messy and since I'm a perfectionist well, I would feel better if it was in PVC and looked better :)

Since I'm going to be moving next year (buying a house) I'm already planning (not a new tank) but the modifications I can make to my current tank. Here's what I've planned so far:

1. Redo all plumbing in cleaner Sch80 grey PVC
  2. Replace Velocity T4 pump by Red Dragon m3 pump
    [/list=1]

Currently, I've turned off my Velocity T4 pump since it really does heat-up the tank.

Here's a couple of pics I took tonight while cleaning my Peltech Oceans 400 chiller :)

Hoping to hook it up this week:

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

Back