125 lighting

chris1292

Right now I have a 8 x 80w t5ho fixture over a 125 gallon. The lights are 8 inches off the water and run from 11 30 to 8. Is this too much light. My sps look kind of pale not really vibrant

Not much chance of it. If it is the lights, then it might be the wrong kind of light. List your bulb mix and you might get more comments. Not all light is equal.

I have had 6 HQIs over a standard 120G and the coral all loved it.

There could be a million other things too... like water parameters, temps, stray current, etc. A whole breakdown of your tank, including tests for nitrate, phosphate, alk, mag, calcium, etc might be a good idea.

Right now bulbs are ati all 4 months old. Front to back.

Blue plus
Actinic
Aquablue
Purple plus
Blue plus
Actinic
Aquablue
Purple plus
Used up the test kits for nitrate and phosphate.
Calcium 420
Alk 9
Temp 79-82
I get good growth but not good color
What height should i out the lights at?

Used up the test kits for nitrate and phosphate.
What height should i out the lights at?
Before you go chasing down a possible lighting issue, get yourself a nitrate and phosphate test kit to rule out high nutrients. Your light height and on time seem normal to me.

Right now I have a 8 x 80w t5ho fixture over a 125 gallon. The lights are 8 inches off the water and run from 11 30 to 8. Is this too much light. My sps look kind of pale not really vibrant

Is this a standard 125 long footprint? If so, 8 bulbs over an 18" depth (front to back) is a lot of light. It wouldn't hurt to pull a couple of bulbs and see if colors darken.

Back