12g Fluval Edge Reef Build

mygirlsbelieve

Hello everyone. I am a noob and I am sure it will show. :eek:
I just started a 12g fluval edge reef tank. Here is what I have so far

9lb LR (will be buying more, but waiting for a friend to buy in bulk)
20lb LS
240 GPH powerhead
50W Heater
Stock HOB filter (Am waiting on a HOB filter/skimmer to replace it, but have since learned from another forum that I need to get rid of the filter all together. Need clarification on that from other experienced reefers).
Upgraded lighting to 2 65W equivalent T5s

Livestock

2 Percs (Selling one back to LFS)
1 Damsel (Selling to LFS)
1 Engineered Goby (Selling to LFS--did not know until recently they grow to a foot long...EEEK) :headwally: Think I was my local LFSs dream
1 BTA

Clean up Crew
5 blue legged crabs
3 Astrea snails
1 Skunk shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimp

I want to have an ATO as I was told this is important to have for the success of my tank. Anyone experienced with fluvals, what ATO switch can I use that is not ugly and that will work for my type of tank? I was looking at the Tunze Nano ATO model, but I read in reviews it is only used for a sump, which I have no idea what that even is. Could anyone shed some light on this. Do I need a sump?

Also, do I need to not replace my HOB stock filter with the HOB filter/skimmer that I am waiting to come in the mail? Do I need to get rid of the HOB filter altogether? I am currently doing a 2 gallon water change weekly. I would like to buy some prettier seasoned LR, which is why I am waiting on my friend, because my LFS does not have much pretty rock to choose from.

Another related question I have is how do I keep the fish waste off the top of my beautiful snow white sand bed. I have a battery powered siphon and it works well but it also sucks up a lot of my fine sand, which I don't think is good, nor do I like. Any tips on how to keep my sand bed nice and clean would be greatly appreciated.

I am proud to become a member to such a great forum, which I have read numerous threads, but just became a new member. I will get my profile done when time allows. :rollface::spin1:

pkirby

you don't "need" a sump; however, they are nice to have. A sump is a separate tank that's connected to your system. Normally held in the stand... you can put your protein skimmer and/or a refugium in that tank so that you don't have to see it in your display.

Assuming you don't know what a refugium is... it's basically a place where you can grow macro algae such as chaeto which will help keep your nutrient level low in the tank and hopefully prevent algae growth from the display.

you can use a HOB filter... They are mainly used for fish only systems.

If you keep up on water changes you can get by without any filtration...the bacteria in the live rock and sand bed is enough. I have a 29 gallon biocube that I do not run any filtration in and haven't for several years now. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly. It's a shallow sandbed, and when I syphon water out for the water changes I also syphon the sandbed... I do this in thirds, so one section is syphoned every three weeks. I keep both SPS (Acropora and Montipora) and LPS (hammers, candy canes, chalice).

welcome to reefcentral! read up, there is a lot of useful information on this site!

mygirlsbelieve

you don't "need" a sump; however, they are nice to have. A sump is a separate tank that's connected to your system. Normally held in the stand... you can put your protein skimmer and/or a refugium in that tank so that you don't have to see it in your display.

Assuming you don't know what a refugium is... it's basically a place where you can grow macro algae such as chaeto which will help keep your nutrient level low in the tank and hopefully prevent algae growth from the display.

you can use a HOB filter... They are mainly used for fish only systems.

If you keep up on water changes you can get by without any filtration...the bacteria in the live rock and sand bed is enough. I have a 29 gallon biocube that I do not run any filtration in and haven't for several years now. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly. It's a shallow sandbed, and when I syphon water out for the water changes I also syphon the sandbed... I do this in thirds, so one section is syphoned every three weeks. I keep both SPS (Acropora and Montipora) and LPS (hammers, candy canes, chalice).

welcome to reefcentral! read up, there is a lot of useful information on this site!

Thanks for all the helpful information and for the warm welcome, pkirby. I appreciate your time and help so much. Hope to see you around again soon. :wave:

jachrist

I have had my 12 gallon fluval edge cycling now for almost a month. Would love to work with you on the best way to set this thing up! I added my first zoas to it today and it will be interesting to see how the light works with corals.

How did you upgrade the lighting? Care to show a picture? I kept the stock lighting that came with the tank.

shiftline

New corals? Why yes! Yes there is a few new additions.

Panama blue zoa
57ff64a5d0f31ffe444dd04316abd472.jpg

Candy Apple red ZOA
b630b66a8a233edb286fd1efe746652f.jpg

God of war zoa
d4c158e95dd0149339867a4e8ad6a57c.jpg

Australian Duncan
f7d4d620ae9f9a11518124ced3cb58fb.jpg

jachrist

I'm loving that duncan!! Again though, I'm wondering if you could show your lighting set up for the fluval? I'm having issues finding a decent lighting upgrade for a cheaper price

shiftline

Define decent price. :)
It's a a custom blend. 36w leds
3x 10000k-12000k LEDs
4x Royal blue LEDs
2x Blue Leds
2x violet
1x Ultra violet
b03a4979edf558b532f9408832ff434c.jpg

3312fcf215cfb1c3b9fc57c8d7ffbf8f.jpg

2cabda113d7574bf2f6aaebc4b1ee2b5.jpg

And quick shot of the God of war that finally started to open up
77107655eb3e20c6c8ae21d1ba13b536.jpg

Last edited:

shiftline

Not 100%. Was a mix. You could prob diy one with some China leds for 150 ish if you want it dimmable and controllable. Depends how fancy too want to go :)

shiftline

Yea it's nice. It to pricey for me. I think my daily 1-2% automated water change project give me more overall benefit the less cost.