14' of horizontal head + 10' vertical = pump?

stevenp

Premium Member
All,
I'm setting up a 110 with a 55 gallon basement sump. The distance from the top of the show tank to the top of the sump is 10', and there's an additional distance of 14' horizontal to travel as well. I've already run the plumbing to the basement; 2" drain and 1.5" return.

I'd like to be somewhere in the 1200gph area. I purchased a Barracuda with the intent of throttling it back a bit since it should be around 2200gph given the head.

Is this total overkill?

I'm looking for comments, opinions and even some critisism (if applicable) :)

Steve

Is that pump pressure rated? If so you should be able to use some penductors in the tank for flow. You might want to bypass the sump with most of that flow though, at least the part that has houses your skimmer. At 1200gph a skimmer will not process the water efficiently, unless its huge.

Do you have a 55g tank for the sump already?

The Barracuda is not pressure rated. I was doing some more reading and it looks like the GenX-Mak4 may be a good pump for the application. A little less flow than I'm looking for but that's probably a good thing.

Yep, already got the 55.

Steve

I just got an iwaki md100rlt for a simular situation. I'm using a 1.5 drian and 1" returns and the math figures out to be just under 1500gph w/13ft. of vertical head and 8 ft. of horizontal.

Yeow, that Iwaki is an expensive pump!

I think I'm going to rethink my strategy and shoot for 650 - 800gph. The GenX-Mak4's are only $120 so it's worth a shot.

Steve

I have a Mak4 I bought used. It seems like it is going to work out good. I'm glad its in the basement though...man, its loud!

Yeah it is an pricey pump for sure...i got lucky and found one used w/4 penductors for $220 in the used section! i love a great used deal;)

Back