Basement Sump Advice

chilake08

Hello Everyone,

The time has come to UPGRADE! I've had a 60Gal Peninsula aquarium for the last 10ish years and I moved, so now i'm trying to work a new aquarium into a new space. With access to a basement, i'm excited to use at least part of that as an aquarium room for the messiest of tasks. BUT i'm concerned with some aspects of my design, and I figured the best place to sort it out is here. Some things i'm thinking hard about:

1) Do I need a bean animal overflow drain system? Running 3 pipes all the way to the sump is a lot in this situation, so can that be simplified without drastically increasing risk
2) Return pump - i'm looking at 10-15 feet of verticle, but 20-25 feet of pipe. I know there are pumps that can handle this, but would the large ecotech pump I have be sufficient?
3) Around 15 feet of horizontal return pipe running across the ceiling in the basement seems like a place prime for a clog. Do I need cleanouts or breaks in that run?
4) Reasons why the aquarium isn't immediately overtop the sing/sump area are we didn't want to damage the old wood floors, layout of the 1st floor would put it in a wall or in the middle of a room, and structurally the aquarium would sit in the middle of the open floor span so without additional basement supports we'd worry about sagging.

My goal is to have a fun 1st-floor aquarium but with as much of the maintenance mess in the basement. Any and all advise is welcome, even if its "this is a bad idea".

Aquarium Basement Plan.jpg

I have a similar setup to your design. I attached pics of my drain system for reference. I merged to a 2" pipe after the drop and before the run across the basement to make sure the draw was strong and the Bean Animal System wasn't messed up by merging too close and screwing the syphon. I use a Hammerhead for a return pump. Only thing I'll add is that I used Spaflex and 45's on the return to reduce the pressure loss as much as possible. Best of luck!

1000002946.jpg

1000002947.jpg

I can’t help too much with the pump other than It looks like the vectra is maxed at 21.5 feet of head so you may need a stronger pump

Fluval sp6 should be able to push that high. If you buy on amazon ($200) you can return it worry free if you test and dont like it. I have 4 and these are the best damn pump I've ever seen. Most are dissatisfied with ecotech pumps at high head. 3434gph rated, but I swear it can do more. 135watts at full blast. I have my main one throttled back to about 115watts. Another runs a lifereef skimmer very well. Probably overkill as can be. Lol

Back