150 gallon build thread...avoid my mistakes

Nice thread. Looking to get back into the mix with a 150 and a Synergy. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is the Synergy.

Do you like the new overflow?
Yes, the exotic marine overflow it a well built unit. I do suggest anyone picking one up to take some fine grit sand paper and soften up the edge of the skimmer box a bit. I filled the tank this past weekend and when I was cleaning off all the build up from the sand on the back of the tank, I bumped it with my knuckle and it cut me wide open...instant organics in my newly filled tank to help with the cycling process.

I use a perforated panel on my server rack to mount controllers. Some of the holes need to be adjusted/widened to line up with the controller but overall it does the job and blends in seamlessly with the rack.

https://www.amazon.com/NavePoint-Ve...rds=perforated+8u+panel&qid=1616606172&sr=8-3
71C3CJ9KKpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And don't forget a power switch strip. Really handy and easily mountable inside the rack.
https://www.amazon.com/ADJ-Products...=1616606334&sprefix=DJ+switch+,aps,229&sr=8-4
Nice...I just ended up using a piece of plywood I had laying around but the perforated panel is a nice touch for sure! I picked up the power strip though...it does come in handy. I filled the tank this weekend and will have an update coming soon.

Yes, the exotic marine overflow it a well built unit. I do suggest anyone picking one up to take some fine grit sand paper and soften up the edge of the skimmer box a bit. I filled the tank this past weekend and when I was cleaning off all the build up from the sand on the back of the tank, I bumped it with my knuckle and it cut me wide open...instant organics in my newly filled tank to help with the cycling process.

Thanks for the info, I have also purchased the new overflow to replace the noisy 16" shadow based on the recommendation. Taylor from Exotic Marine is very accommodating to shorten their 20" inner skimmer box to 16" to go between the euro brace.

I hope sanding the 3 acrylic corners can go smoothly without forming the ugly swirl mark.

Good info. EM is the one I'm going with.

Some updated build pics...

Cutting out the slot for my power strip on my controller board
ACtC-3fgTv89T9_wK3HUg3hy2M6-2fEkfols7k5sCS-NasZF5mznCAhbC-9pD3QUn4L7yaFDRxxGuFxiLSnlllLaUfgHnJRvJsd7QKGkRv4yH8_EWcD64TiS-ti8YL4qLrYoi7mly4T48sr_HBhsAE4aUshG=w525-h700-no

Layout planning
ACtC-3dhd_W7DwSyXSEolvW4QY5Wr6HIDs9Yce62U3SQBm-9PTcmGAl4PWszgBFcw_DQ30c-ulIcIgpRpTxyLsopka2NJaYiD_seUdxyLTBjj-lkmIfNh_YXLwxfG0V38z_4tbvzLBNJ0LxJAcbFzcB5jZSM=w459-h700-no

Wiring inside the server cabinet...almost done.
ACtC-3c8olzdYWTGby3rP9CqpTKcrhHnXRbV4r4Vot8EBHmkEAu1COShz7SNncp4lUa4M5RztcMwh_zIhYyhsYCyT4dv6UcJX83eBuL7OJgkR9Y3FJFqDrwIVIp3hDpwCRohP-dZDnDPoPjNlFcJuNIfXrXS=w600-h800-no

A pic of the cabinet all done. I installed a shelf for the dosing container and sprayed the entire panel with Krylon Fusion in satin black.
ACtC-3figWNPdZG_hp0FONRCRWEVbz7NCxhTg0-cIZ2ik-PzEueN4bSVmMHDqaAjkuWfh-IjQODljgEJK0D2urBiAm4tRxvPMa4jGaKXl65CBo2vSELP78VGHXOXLR7bzWRU6GOCe0aDZL6mxzKSa3SGq0gQ=w750-h1001-no

I was getting ready to install my lighting rack and realized my supports ran parallel to my tank. I had to cut open the ceiling to install some blocking to support the setup...a real pain in the rear.

ACtC-3eKr3ZdttnTSmM5ebn9x-hcUBj6jv4lZOdb7E3Yrpm5Pb_PLtHEjZhaXS1FFVACfuDKEkk4p67qHo7qiNwFSSENLrB5njfMorfqTZDJck2I1Hhus_bODuaAp8hI-RLhWuchnRf1Ntvnid-bRDXJ6A6I=w450-h600-no

ACtC-3dqd2MXaCatRmx2_tYzxyiOPpWbOpv8QKLW_tAOyclFl9LQ3XJNaTkE7uRZvstLQh5maGXbbC4m1Hju7qIb1G0lAoJyQ-3ULEGvCRZryR_qNX5y4JDvrs5LTfqqpJljOF1pUjj8Wp8m7CrG8cmUZTM6=w450-h600-no

Lighting installed...just cleaning up all the wires.
ACtC-3e5AkZNFJj4TO1MNOfdYEtum3jQQpOYSqe-J_MdzTNtHevtMTFwN7Kk3tcHQaOdAyAl8LOW99mbstGdWAPFCNYtJ2VywHfFGzX8AmFSUp5IeYgPbyPSrmF7lLlK03YUVKL1wYW0AIzffzoXeec8-uW7=w600-h800-no

Filling the tank...took 2 days. The water was pretty cloudy so a buddy of mine gave me a canister filter...ran it for a week to clear it up
ACtC-3e-BJymhclX13xi35yz7A4eDHkBTXuE8yW3SZ3S73iH9GujUVmp8W4u__Do1nZoUYy8w3wYZCHsSEob-rsv7PIAIs7ByfUCyONeCBCoT_Y7jATlJguyAl6AGZsroHHt6utREHhV9sWYu2Q9iyavZrnV=w700-h717-no

ACtC-3flovxDRLNqcpuAoKZoHC-NuPIghc9idG6w3CwrbkrsFvyrEbZzsWnHzP1wEnrnJQTO4fnY4pFWRqhvDCXfwt4YuvQgs7zpOEySu-7-VBudOxsIy-EOwT0FoKyQCReu3czVPwWcEqQAI1FbF-qmJtp2=w384-h650-no

A couple of pics of the lighting rack. I'm pretty happy with it...came out better then I envisioned.
ACtC-3ftEsLdZhdQBIwdSLV-lNxEG7F4yLQrHn84JnFjJo0X1jSWvedpFhRgwWbzNyzdXxT4jBYng8w4MiHhKBbxKdt1b7bprEUyGREk0_Lp7_cbndjec7Hyoil3W96DQCovPq5EzgkUf_tjfXn24mJFRdGj=w667-h800-no

ACtC-3cqtxhnrsrBDITyXfdF4N1ZH5d93QrROpY4ZLSeyS9CcE2wP1Bj78h2nb-k_qHpsD2JhXF03WAueIppBtdnAV2r_WQIrNKz5uGvD9wD-tBA8DOn15gFllUd1L6uPuaNaKQNKqen8dPAsZm2ihsSu1Ut=w562-h750-no

Started painting my panels during the week we had nice weather. I didn't like the orange I originally sprayed so I decided to just respray with white to match the sides. It's not done yet but it is how it sits today. I still have to color sand and spray a few more coats then polish but it up.
ACtC-3dxVFJkclf3jmdwYmHZqDSyWfNEEIbuzsmfx0spz3QlavYHYAU3ogOwkcx-IWtd5Kv7sEKRB-rwuZRoZsSeX8GD-2BY6mDf8I2IrVIq1gWeyGSB8xwwMi5MgQTENPtJQhQ-5Q8hSUsNkc6SuDIiPf7I=w456-h800-no

ACtC-3dE50k-Yo4_LTCD_Ouy3x4qVy0KsWtqBP-zb5SU_4zTqSNbNZQ8y6GYprE8c5vylSdRrSpgnGc3YXyjoj_PVXpKDzIbsyAjlIvoNpgsyPunI8sDDjwd3q8RJ_JnfZh_WwWLtvYWB0z7Xzpv-_WzKavj=w602-h900-no

The tank has been cycling for a little over 2 weeks now. I dosed some Dr. Tim's ammonia chloride to get the cycle going. As of last night, no ammonia but my nitrites are through the roof. Not sure about my nitrates...will test for that when my nitrates test 0. I plan on running my tank empty for awhile. I'll post one more update when I get the final coats on my panels to show the final results with color sanding and polishing of the Krylon Fusion.

You really out did yourself on all aspect of reefing from routing the controller board to cutting through the ceiling for the support beams.

Can you comment on the choice of hydra 64 vs some other lights and easiness of lowering and elevating the light rack with 4 screws. it seems like you are 12 inch above the water level, is it recommended based on BRS measured PAR.

It's coming together very nicely. I must say very detailed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Galantra...I'm ecstatic to be at this stage where there's finally water in the tank! I still have a few things to button up but it's pretty much done.

You really out did yourself on all aspect of reefing from routing the controller board to cutting through the ceiling for the support beams.

Can you comment on the choice of hydra 64 vs some other lights and easiness of lowering and elevating the light rack with 4 screws. it seems like you are 12 inch above the water level, is it recommended based on BRS measured PAR.
I have the hydra 32hd's. I did a bunch of research prior to the purchase and it boiled down to either the AI or EcoTech Radions. I really like Kessil but they were more then I was willing to spend. I chose the AI setup strictly based on price...they were on sale back in Dec. when I made the purchase. I decided on four 32's instead of two 64's for a couple of reasons. First, with a 30" front to back depth, I'll get better coverage with 4 units and less overall shadowing then with two 64 units. Second, if one unit fails I still have 3 functional units until I get it repaired or replaced. All these "brand name" LED's work well for our systems. I'm a true believer that water chemistry and stability is the key to a successful reef tank...lighting is secondary from my experience. I'm sure this is debatable but this philosophy has always worked for me.

You are correct, the lights are suspended 12" above the water surface. I spaced the units out according to BRS's test on the hydra 32's. Their recommendation is 14" above the water surface, so i'll have to raise it up a couple of inches. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a par meter to confirm the par readings on my setup when the time comes. Raising the lights is quite easy. The lights with the lower part of the rack weighs around 14-15lbs...easily supported with one arm when loosening the bolts. They slide up the "track" with ease and pretty evenly. I just put a small level on the horizontal while I raise it. I hand tighten in place then finish it off with pliers. This lighting setup was actually my 4th concept design. I had 3 other ones prior to deciding on this one. My first two actually mounted to the rear of the stand and hung over the top of the tank. To be honest, I wasn't really sure if the ceiling rack with the "track" design would suspend the lights over the tank safely and not have it crashing down lol. The concept only worked in my head until I finally installed it and tested it. I'm highly confident it's not going to crash down onto my tank :lol2:

I'll try to post an update soon with some pics and possibly some vids. I made some modifications to my lighting setup and rearranged the the two rock structures. I purchased two new MP40's to add the existing gen1 and 2's that I already had. I put online a geo kalk reactor from my previous setup. I removed all the sand around the 2.5 month mark so I'm bare bottom now. The system is sps dominant but I do have a handful of LPS. My most recent LPS addition is an Indo gold and Dragon's breath torch...first time ever having a torch coral since I started in this hobby...hope i don't kill them. All parameters are in check but it's been quite a chore trying to keep my alk stable. It will stay solid for a week or two then plummet. I've been having good coralline growth everywhere but my rocks lol. I have a few small patches here and there but it's not growing as fast as everywhere else...go figure. I have decent coloration on my SPS...some better then others. My most difficult piece is my Lady in Pink acro. It's more like the lady in grey right now...it's literally grey colored but still polyps haha.

Back