150w haligen vs 130w compact

weaselslucks

ok i'm setting up a 29 gallon 17" deep tank with 3 inces of sand. I want soft corals and a few fish. my question is what is the price diference in running the haligen as opposed to the compact and if the haligen is much more expensive is ther something that would justify the difference. Keep in mind that live rock will be stacked in such a way that there will be higher perches closer to the surface and lower light spots

I would use the PC with the legs or even sit it right on the glass top. MH are too hot for a 29. You have to hang them above the tank and this makes your tank look like it's lit with street lights like the Kmart parking lot. R

some people like the contemporary look of the pendant hanging over the tank. i think pcs on top of the glass would look even more ghetto.

but the pcs will be plenty for softies. you may get the fever for a little sps though. and with the mh you will be ready.

ps. i also have a nice 150w mh for sale

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7523854#post7523854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
I would use the PC with the legs or even sit it right on the glass top. MH are too hot for a 29. You have to hang them above the tank and this makes your tank look like it's lit with street lights like the Kmart parking lot. R

I kept a 20 for a year plus with a 250w MH, and NEVER had heat issues. I had way worse heat issues with PCS.

Open top and MH = no heat.

Back