178 hours with no heat or electricity---here's how I got my tank through it.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
I debated where to post this, but decided that NTTH was best.
What I used: 1 small plastic bucket, bottle of Prime, bottle of hydrogen peroxide typical strength, and a lot candles, a lot of lamp oil, two sheets, and a lot of 1-pound canisters of propane with a Mr. Heater from Ace, a hunter's propane heater.

4:30 pm Tuesday 17th Nov: ferocious windstorm takes out power for 300,000 homes in Spokane region. 71 mph winds, 4 miles short of hurricane force.
No electricity, no light, no heat, no tv, no internet, no phone except a cellphone we kept alive by recharging via usb off our laptop battery.
By 11 pm it was pretty sure we were in trouble. I checked everything I could and began dipping and pouring water into the fish tank. We hung bedsheets in the two doors of the living room to stop air flow, and lit enough candles to please a Shaolin monastery. That and the oil lamps provided a little warmth. But dipping and pouring was the only circulation we could manage for our two tanks, one reef, one freshwater planted, And the koi in their pond were on their own with no heaters. Temperature outside? 24 degrees.

4:30 pm Wednesday 18th Nov: hanging in, by dipping and pouring water.
Nov 19, 24 hours without power. We're getting info on the damage and know we are in deep trouble. But they say maybe power by Tomorrow. [They were wrong.] Tank temperature 68. Room temperature 65. Deliberately choosing to lower temperature in tanks to keep fish quiet, also withholding light and food.

Fri Nov 20, 36 hours without power, fish showing distress, near surface. We apply aggressive aeration (pouring) every few hours and from now on, this has to be around the clock. Dosed reef with 1 tsp per 10 gallons (105 gallon tank) of hydrogen peroxide, premixed in small dipping bucket. Also floated two liter bottles of hot water, but we are losing the hot water: hot water tank had to be shut down. We now have only the hot water that was in our lines. Tank temperature 66.6. Tried hunter’s handwarming packets—worthless in this size tank. Room temperature 61. Went searching for battery powered air bubblers, but all in town are sold out.

Friday Nov 21. 48 hours no power. News is passing in city mostly word of mouth at coffee houses and grocery stores, and power company is calling in other states, no word when damaged power infrastructure will be repaired. Massive 40-50 foot cedar and spruce trees are down across lines—everything disrupted. Many stores are shut, and shelves are going bare in some areas. Tried to buy a generator, but the only one I could find was 800.00 and too heavy for the two of us to get out of the SUV if I bought it.
Now using barbecue grill and charcoal to heat bricks in iron skillet to bring in and set in front of tank with open stand doors. Also using heated rocks to burn through ice on pond to give gas exchange to koi.

Saturday Nov 22. 72 hours no power. Tank temp 66.1. Managed to lay hands on a (rare, and selling out within an hour of every new shipment) Mr. Heater from Ace. Never used a propane heater, but they say keep a door or window cracked about 4" while using and beware of carbon monoxide symptoms. By noon, room temp up to 75. Tank temp 66.8. This brings additional risk—because as tank temperatures rise, oxygen-carrying capacity of the water (recharging from our pouring) grows less, and bacterial action (as in decay of dead) rises. We lost an angelfish (freshwater). We sighted 3 fish in the reef: golden domino, 2 chromis.
Here I made a mistake: I draped a sheet over the tank to try to protect it from propane and candle/oil fumes.

Sunday: Nov 23, 96 hours no power. Tank temp 67.8 Lost watchman goby. I blame the sheeting. Removed it. Redoubled manual aeration.

Monday Nov 24, 130 hours no power. Much same, 2 fish lost, domino still up swimming, no sight of others. Turned propane off to get some sleep, [dangerous to sleep with a propane stove going indoors, even with window open.] 3:30 am waked to find 2 chromis up and gasping, aerated again–a lot. Water is clouding. This has to be bacterial—the sump in the basement, not exposed to propane, is showing same condition. Saw alive: 2 chromis, domino, Fiji blue.
11 am Fish now in grave distress. Domino ok, Fiji blue is dying under a rock. Netted azure out to sump, to hopefully clearer water. Tried hydrogen peroxide and Prime, 3 hours apart, aerating manually. Tank temp 67.
Now using Weber grill charcoal starter, set on ice near rim of pond, to burn a hole in ice: a lot better than Sunday, when it took heating rocks 4 times to get a small hole. An 8 foot bamboo pole was also a great asset in this operation.

Tues. Nov 25, 154 hours no power. Now aerating at the rate of half total tank volume every 4 hours, by counting bucket pours. For a 105 gallon tank, this is 200 half gallon bucket pours every four hours. Whole town is running out of 1 pound propane cylinders. It snowed about 3". Also our new flooring arrived in the snow, can’t get wet. Two women moved 1537 pounds of flooring from back drive to various places in the house so as not to stress floor. Can it get crazier? Domino still swimming and sounding off (they do make racket when annoyed). Dosed Prime again, temp in tank 67.5. Tank murky and clouded. Dosed hydrogen peroxide. Lost another freshwater angel, big pleco unaccounted for.

Wednesday 4:30 am 178 hours no power—the lights come on.
Confirmed alive at end of blackout: 1 chromis, golden domino, three-stripe, maybe the royal gramma, who is a bit reclusive. The hammer coral, the acan, the frogspawn, and the candycane. And countless snails and crabs. Worms didn’t fare so well. Skimmer overflowing. Confirmed dead: fiji blue, watchman, azure—probably all others not listed as definitely alive. Now there’s s still a risk—from the accelerating biology. Tank temperature now 77.5, and rising; I’ll be guarding against ammonia, and feeding sparingly. The domino is eating. We lost everything in the fridge including the frozen fishfood, so I’ll be off to buy that to tempt the three-stripe into eating. He seems to want to, but is spooky. Haven’t seen the chromis eat.

So we’re alive. Saved the two tanks. Saved the pond.

I figure if it’s worth anything, it’s worth offering a routine that might help somebody else.

Last edited:
Last year I was out for 3 days.....after that I said "never again" and bought a 6000 watt generater.
Came to this conclusion while my mantis was floating in the tank....luckily she made it but scared the heck out of me,never want that feeling of helplessness.. glad you are well

Last edited:
Wow Sk8r you must be exhausted, I'm sorry for your losses. I was just saying the other day how there are some disasters in this hobby that cannot be overcome no matter how many failsafes we buy. But you did a really amazing job. I hope everything makes a full recovery.

Thanks for posting this experience so that others at least have some reference for this kind of disaster!

Yep, a generator would be the thing, if you're in a situation that can accommodate one. For those who don't know, you plug a generator, via big extension cord, into a socket that relates to ONE of your breakers, say, one of the living room power outlets; and that gives you power on that one circuit, but not on the others. And you have to stay within the limits of the generator. The 170 lbs weight of the one I could find meant we couldn't get it out of the SUV if we got it home. Help is not readily available hereabouts. There was also some profiteering going on, exorbitant prices from guys that would buy and resell during the city-wide emergency, plus theft, since they have to be outdoors (gasoline engine.) So if you're going to buy one, study your needs, where you would put it, and also don't wait until you have an emergency.

Reminds me. I haven't tested my little 2-cycle generator from Harbor-Freight since the last big outage we had here. (lasted 4 days I think.) I'd hate to be caught with my pants down again.

This thread should be titled, "Most important purchase for a tank is a generator". My LFS bands together when the power goes out. They all bring in generators to keep their numerous fish and coral alive. With the amount of money we spend on equipment and livestock, a generator is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

you can also just run a bunch of extension cords from the generator into your house.....I'm going to go test fire mine up right now....lol
And you not put gas with ethanol in them...!!!

It was a mess. I'm leaving my original fish list on my sig line so you can see what went missing somewhere in the rocks, so I'm watching the tank chemistry carefully as the biology heats up again. All the corals made it through. Only half the fish, in the marine tank, though I blame myself for that sheet: I thought it was porous enough. Wrong. I particularly mourn the watchman pair: they were my oldest fish, been with me quite a while.

We also had a problem of uncertainty as to how long the outage would last, people saying constantly it would be just one more day. Some people in our area are still without power, and may be for weeks. Thanks to crews from California, Montana, Oregon, and Canada, they're getting it fixed, but it took out major lines---infrastructure, not just the power lines, and many, many of the trees that went down were over 40 footers. Roof damage, cars damaged, two killed, and just a general mess. Hospitals have emergency generators, but they can't sustain the whole hospital indefinitely.

I watched the crabs picking at my tail spot blenny before I could retrieve him ,when my three day blackout was over.....I blamed myself for awhile. I'm sure you'll get everything back on track

Would battery operated live well bubblers have helped? I mean I have a bunch of those kicking around from summer and ice fishing trips. Could those be helpful

Really tired. The pleco has shown up healthy and happy in the freshwater tank. I was out shopping for a paint stirrer today and went to 4 hardware stores before I got home to be told oops! it's Thanksgiving!---no rest for us. We had the plumber yesterday, after a water backup in the basement (very small one), where the sump is; but this time it wasn't my fault: line had clogged. And we're in mid house reflooring, living on plywood in places, and now I'm scheduled for eye surgery. It's just a zoo around here! We did get the hot water heater pilot relit ourselves, yay us! And for some reason or supernatural cause, the garage door opener arm that we had to disconnect from the chain so we could get the car in and out during the outage---just spontaneously reconnected itself instead of necessitating climbing on a ladder and fussing with it. Let us be grateful for things we take for granted!

So sorry to read this. I'm glad you all made it through and it sounds like you did all you could have done. I hope you are able to enjoy your Thanksgiving!

I think the takeaway from this---is if you lose power, cold is your friend, even to the extent of trying to lower the temp into the 60's even if it's summer. Corals and fish will survive---but keep it between 67 and 63. Don't let it reach 62, which is where things start dying.
Don't feed the fish. They're exotherms, meaning when the temperature goes down, their digestion doesn't work and the food rots in their bellies, lethally so. Do not feed!
I can say that at least lps coral doesn't mind this temperature. They do mind the dark. But the fish are quieter and safer asleep, using less oxygen. So keep the blinds drawn unless you absolutely need the warmth for yourself to survive.
Figure the size of your pouring bucket and oxygenate by dipping up pouring in the equivalent of half your tank volume about every 4 hours. Eg, for a 60 gallon tank, this will be equivalent to 30 gallons. This interval will afford time for you to get a little sleep.
If pouring isn't enough, you can add 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide to one dipped-up bucket per 10 gallons of tank volume, eg 6 teaspoons for a 60 gallon, and continue dipping and pouring tank water until you're sure you've mixed it well: it's strong stuff. Water is H20. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. So it's viciously 'mean' water. And a strong oxidant. But it will increase the oxygen in your tank water. And remember NOT to include your sump (which isn't active) in the calculation for total tank volume.
Prime, a dechlorinator, also neutralizes ammonia and prevents nitrate from hurting your tank, if you have dead fish under the rockwork. Use it if you suspect this is being a problem. Watch your salinity.
Rising temperatures once the problem is over and power is on ---can be deadly in themselves, as the water LOSES oxygen and fish wake up and need more oxygen. And as dead things decay.
So keep the Prime handy.
If your fish haven't eaten for all this time, they may have a little trouble getting started again. DO NOT give way to the temptation to feed again and again and again in hopes they will eat. Give them time. Don't contribute more biomass to the problem.
Net out any bodies you can find, but if you can't, just remain alert and use the Prime no more often than once daily, if that. Do not use it unless you're sure there's a problem. Test for ammonia.
Sk8r's rules of tank disaster....you can't read most tests in the dark. And you have no light. If disaster hits, it will involve a holiday or weekend when lfs is closed. And if it's city wide, they're in as much trouble as you are.
Once power does come on, let it and your heater make changes slowly. Haste makes waste, particularly in fish tanks: they don't like rapid changes.

One further pointer: if your power is seriously out, you can't get online, eh, and a smartphone really won't do it easily---if you have power enough to keep that fed [we fed ours off the laptop's battery and didn't use the laptop.] Have a printout tucked into the stand, with info and numbers you need.

Our whole house was going cold....so cold was my enemy. I was boiling water out of my fireplace and filling water bottles for 3 days.
10 minutes before the power came back on,I had decided to give up.

We were pretty cold, but the tank seemed to hit an equilibrium at about 66.1. Room temp could be lower, but the rock and sand tend to hold the previous state.

Back