180 Stock List

amps

Hey guys!

I have a 180g (6x2x2) tank and I'd like it to be as peaceful as I can while maintaining diversity of color and shape/size. The tank will be a mixed reef, SPS and a metric ton of hammers, frogspawn and torches. I'd abslutely LOVE to have a regal angel and a Moorish Idol but I love my euphyllia too much.

My plan is as follows:

Dispar Anthias x5
Yellow Wrasse x1
mandarin goby x1
Royal Gramma x2
Clowfish x2
Yellow Tang x1
Bellus Angelfish x1
Sailfin Tang x1
Blue Tang x1
Foxface x1
diamond orange spot goby x1
Bartlet or Lyretail Anthias x2
Convict Tang x1

I already have a 3.5" Blue Tang, 2 small Picasso clowns and the Foxface in the tank. I have 5 dispar anthias in QT right now (eating BBS, mysis and a little flake) and they'll be put into the DT in 1 week if all continues to go well. My plan was to add the yellow tang and sailfin at the same time and last to avoid aggression.

Filtration is an 80g sump, Coral Box Cloud 9 skimmer, carbon, GFO, 40w UV and a 65g refugium growing chaeto. I have an automatic water change setup changing 3 gallons a day.

This is my first experience with a larger tank and despite all the research I've done, I'd love to get some feedback on the stocking levels and the compatibility of the fish.

Here's how the tank looks now (please ignore the clouds of hair algae, it's slowly disappearing):

HgTcrjp.jpg

Tank looks great so far.

I like most of your selections for fish. You will hear some nays on a couple of the tangs. Sailfins get quite large and probably would be best in a bigger tank. I'm okay with the regal, but most folks here will recommend a bigger tank for it as well.

It will definitely be action packed and heavily stocked, with 20 fish.

I would say drop the sailfin and one other tang. With such a big sump, you may be okay with water quality, which is important for sps

When you say Blue Tang, are you talking Blue Atlantic or Hippo Tang? IMO, both of them should be in a 8ft tank or bigger. Blue Atlantic can be a jerk. Also I think a 6ft tank is borderline for a Salfin. IMO, too many tangs, I think you should limit yourself to 3 smaller tangs. Maybe do a Orange Shoulder, Yellow, and a Kole/Tomini/Whitetail Bristletooth/Chevron. Also Convicts can be tricky to stay alive. I have read and heard that they don't compete with food and can be bullied easily.. just my 2 cents.

When you say Blue Tang, are you talking Blue Atlantic or Hippo Tang? IMO, both of them should be in a 8ft tank or bigger. Blue Atlantic can be a jerk. Also I think a 6ft tank is borderline for a Salfin. IMO, too many tangs, I think you should limit yourself to 3 smaller tangs. Maybe do a Orange Shoulder, Yellow, and a Kole/Tomini/Whitetail Bristletooth/Chevron. Also Convicts can be tricky to stay alive. I have read and heard that they don't compete with food and can be bullied easily.. just my 2 cents.

I meant Hippo Tang.

Thanks for the advice. The hippo is already in there so I'll wait a couple years and watch for aggression/craziness as he grows. I was already thinking of leaving the Sailfin out but a good friend has a 5" he needs rehomed for a while. That might mean leaving the convict out.

Back