1st clam for me...suggestions, tips, help

Lunchbucket

Premium Member
ok i am thinking of getting my 1st clam. tank is set up and establish and thriviing. it is a 10gal w/ 2x36w power compacts on it. clam would be 11" or less from the lights.

thinking of a corcea or possibly a little maxima. like about 2.5"

would like to have right on the snad in the front of the tank. should i have a rock there for it to attach to?

suggestions, tips, and help would be great!
thanks
Lunchbucket

If you want hin to attach I like using half a clam shell, smooth side up for hime to attach to. You might have to source that from a LFS. If you use a rock find a smaller, smooth, flat looking one and lightly place in in the sand level with it and placce the clam there. In 4days to 2 weeks I would hope he'd attach. Good luck. Just remember small clams (sub 3") are predominantly filter feeders so dosing a good food like DT's phyto or similar food is a great idea.

Cameron

My recommendation would be to forget about clams, until you upgrade your lighting. Get a 175 watt MH over it, in addition to what you have, then we'll talk. The problem is that any clam that would work with your available PAR would outgrow the tank in too short a time. T croceas & maximas are definitely out. You just don't have the light output to maintain one long term.

DJ
= 8-->{I>

djreef you are the only one out of 15 or so people to suggest i don't have the light. everyone else has said i am ok.

so who is right?

later
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket said:
djreef you are the only one out of 15 or so people to suggest i don't have the light. everyone else has said i am ok.

so who is right?

I'd say that djreef is right.

A quote from Daniel Knop's book, Giant Clams, Chapter 6. Keeping Clams in the Aquarium, subsection Illumination (p. 131)...
I recommend metal halide "TS" lamps of 250 Watt (Osram TS 250W/D) and tube shaped lamps with the socket E 27 or E40 (Osram T 250W/D)...250 Watt are used for tanks 60cm high, 400 Watt with tanks of 80 cm, and 1000 Watt with tanks of 100 cm water column.

I would recommend buying Daniel Knop's book as it's the clam keeper's bible. You can grab it thru the Amazon link at the bottom of this page.

HTH

yes, but many have kept clams w/ things other than MH's! i know they are the best.

yeah i am gonna pic up that book w/ some x-mas money....heard it was great!

many clam farmers keep thier clams in PC holding tanks and they do perfectly fine. just wondering who used pc's for them

later
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket said:
many clam farmers keep thier clams in PC holding tanks and they do perfectly fine.
First off, the only true "clam farmers" are the farms in the south pacific, and other regions, where the "holding tank" is the ocean itself and lit by natural sunlight. Clams cannot currently be bred in captivity.

Secondly, those of us reputable livestock wholesalers, and retailers, light their clam holding and growout tanks with Metal Halide. I, for one, light my clam tanks with sunlight and suppliment with 400W Iwasakis.

- JT

I think my post said "no". ;-)

Put a 150W HQI over that tank and you will be all set for a nice clam. I don't like 175's for nanos, you get slightly more PAR out of the 150W HQI and you won't need any other supplimentation.

- JT

I think my post said "no". ;-)

Put a 150W HQI over that tank and you will be all set for a nice clam. I don't like 175's for nanos, you get slightly more PAR out of the 150W HQI and you won't need any other supplimentation.

- JT

I think the key isn't what light source you are using but the actual lumens or PAR that is reaching the clam. Depending on the distance from the light source a clam that is a shallow tank under 72W of PC just inches off the top of the water could actually be getting more light than a clam that is at the bottom of a deep tank under a 400W MH that is suspended several feet above the tank.

Do some research and determine if you are providing the clam with the lumens or PAR that it needs to thrive. I think you will find that MH will provide considerabley more lumens to the clam and allow it to thrive.

FWIW, Nathan

i have a 250w MH ballast laying here just staring at me :furious: LOL! i am thinking of using that on my 20L i might set up sometime in the future...though i would like to trade it for a 150.

thanks guys!
later
Lunchbucket

npaden i must admit i am jealous of your tank and your house w/ the view! very nice!!

Last edited:
I don't think your lighting would be an issue. I find many books to be a little one sided telling you to only keep clams under halides. Some coral books do the same. I feel it is more of having a well balanced system with good all around qualities. Not having tons of light can be slightly compensated for by having more filter feeding materials to use. Just my opinion. The only reason I have not tried a clam in my 7 bow yet is simply I am trying to figure out how I can keep my water qualites in check. I am trying some top-off systems but have yet to find one I like. So much water variations can occur in a small tank and clams don't tend to do well with that...

Sorry to ramble but I would go for it if everything is running well.

Cameron

Hey Lunchbucket,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. The reason why I took the stand I did is based purely on actual personal experience (more of which, I think, is genuinely needed on 'the boards' - way too much parroting of "he said", "she wrote" etc). Nathan nailed it, in that lumens are what drives clam growth. I didn't start having real 'luck' with clams until I stepped up to MH, in addition to the VHO & PC lighting that I already had. That's right, I was running 570watts of flourescent over my 120 (4'X2'X2') and was still losing clams - much to my dismay - in a system where everything else was thriving. When I installed the MH I did so as to spotlight the area I was going to keep the clams in. The reason why I did this is because MH penetrates the water better in a localised area. You're not going to get the spread that you do with flourescent, it's more pinpointed. I placed my light pigs about 12" form the MH source. This corrected the clam mortality problem. Everyone was happy.
Everything was going great, until I got cute, and tried lowering a couple of my Pohnpei maximas in the system, in order to get a better top view on them. Now keep in mind, both clams are roughly 14" form the flourescents, and 22" from the MH (only 10" further away from the MH penetration point) in the middle of the system (the MH is further back on the tank). Both clams began deteriorating after only a couple of weeks because the light penetration had dropped that dramatically. Long story short - I lost one clam, and saved the other by moving it back up in the tank. So, all said and done, 820 watts of combination lighting, at 18" depth, was not enough PAR to keep my T. maxes healthy. I guess my point is this, you could try one, but man, as much as clams cost and as beautiful as they are, it would be a shame to lose one the same way I lost mine. Learn from my mistakes. Anyway, all the clams are rocking now, and are putting on size.

DJ
= 8-->{I>

thanks for the advice djreef. that story/experience means more than "i heard" crap. thanks...i might try one if i find a cheap one...probably not...probably wait till i make my 20L w/ a 250w MH (maybe smaller but i have a 250w ballast and not smaller). who knows when that will be. for now i am content not having one and learning before i mess it up. they are beautiful creatures and i would like to keep them beautifully alive.

thanks everyone...gonna hold off for now.
Lunchbucket

Hey Lunchbucket,
I had a 12 gallon hex with four 27 watt PCs on it and I kept a deresa and a maxima in it and they were very happy. This had a little more lighting than your setup (9 watts/gallon as opposed to your 7.2 w/g). Just a little input to let you know that there is hope without metal halides.
-Max

how could you tell ? were the clams smiling ?

max101101 said:
Hey Lunchbucket,
I had a 12 gallon hex with four 27 watt PCs on it and I kept a deresa and a maxima in it and they were very happy. This had a little more lighting than your setup (9 watts/gallon as opposed to your 7.2 w/g). Just a little input to let you know that there is hope without metal halides.
-Max

Back