20+ year old tangs

Very interesting and encouraging.

Have recently been wondering how much longer I could expect my purple tang to live. It has been in the current tank about 12 years and I must have had it at least 3 years prior to that. Looks like I can hope for a few more years. A big (and now completely black) blue velvet damsel must be pretty close to that age as well. Both of those even survived a power outage that killed 1/2 the fish in the tank (but strangely no corals).

Steve

That's crazy. That's longer than most dogs live. I can only imagine the attachment to fish you've had for so long.

wait you put 2 tangs in a 75 gallon tank. the tang police will get you for this. telling you they will never live :) take that tang police lol

Your tangs outlived my previous 2 budgies, Cole & Ella. They lived to just about 12 years, and passed away in Feb. 2013.

Sadly I have to report the Yellow Tang is dead! :sad2: And sadder yet, not from natural causes. A family member who was visiting decided since everyone would be gone for the weekend it would be best to turn off the AC. Also lost was a several Montipora and Seratopora. Acros survived along with zoas, Xenia and other soft corals.

Purple Tang is still going strong also. Here's a current video:
https://youtu.be/rDpNOX9TphY
The Sailfin is getting rehomed after the holidays. After 8 years together it is trying to be dominate but the Purple isn't having it.

Those are some really fat and healthy tangs.

I am always startled at times when I see this or read about a fish living 20 some years. And my best friend (a German Shepherd Dog) lives roughly 10 and any year over 10 is considered a gift. Sometimes I don't understand how this works but never the less amazing with the longevity and care of those fish. Good job.

Back