20g high, need help

ebojo

I am very new to this whole idea of reef tanks. I have always been interested in them, but never looked into getting one until recently. The tank is in the very early stages of production, but I am eager to get going.

1) Any recommendations for a protein skimmer? preferably hob

2) How important is water filtration? A friend suggested a RO filter. Any suggestions as to which one?

I am looking for good equipment, new or used, but not overly expensive. Links would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am not the person to give any advice as to which skimmer to use because I do not use one on my pico so ill let someone else answer that. As far as water filtration goes id say its super important. I would definitely recommend an ro/di unit if at all possible. Your water is one of the most important things in your tank and the cleanener it is the better you will be in the long run. If you cant afford an ro/di unit find a place where you can find good ro/di water from. Please do not use tap water cause you will hate yourself for it eventually. There are tons of ro/di units out there just do your research and get the one that works with your budget.

I suggest you don't buy the 20gallon high. Fish likes swimming right to left, not up and down. Also, harder to find lights that fit a 20high

any suggestions on where to even begin looking for this? I really have no idea what I am even looking for.

Thanks

I suggest you don't buy the 20gallon high. Fish likes swimming right to left, not up and down. Also, harder to find lights that fight a 20high

I actually purchased the 20 high after the lights. I am currently running 2 x coralife t5's ( 4 x 24w). I actually dont plan on having all that many fish in it, as I am more interested in the corals. Also, this is somewhat of a tester tank, and will probably upgrade within the year if this tank is successful.

What kind of corals do you plan on keeping? A 20 high is a difficult tank because the taller it is the less light penetrates all the way to the sand bed meaning you have to plan your coral purchases and placement around the height of the tank.

I really don't know that either. I prefer the soft corals - frogspawn and anemone and such. Have any suggestions as to soft corals that would be fairly easy to keep but still fairly cool?

^^ I don't know if "soft" corals is the correct word. Maybe LPS? I'm not really sure. Like I said, I am new at this,

if your looking for a good skimmer go with a Tunze DOC 9002 Nano Protein
Skimmer by Tunze, they run around $125-150, it does a great job (rated up to 52 gallons).

with those lights you will be able to keep almost all soft corals, and some lps (lps might have to be higher in the tank but some will do fine at the bottom)

If your looking for cool soft corals, zoanthids are always a good choice, they come in millions of color combinations, and mushrooms are always cool, they also come in a bunch of colors. These are great beginner corals and are easy to take care of.

I just bought an aquamaxx hob1 from marine depot great skimmer.
I'm just waiting for the skimmer to break in so the bubbles will stop.
I will post pictures of my 20h.

Thank you for all your help. I plan to invest in a filter first, and then a skimmer. Time to start shopping.

Well I actually decide to just go with walmart's RO water for now. Any recommendations (link if possible) to a good skimmer?

Ahh that one seems really nice. I will have to start saving my income of $0 per....year. oh the college life...

Actually, is there another model that is cheaper? Maybe 100-150 as opposed to the 200 for that one?

20H is a nice size to start with...i loved mine...with those lights you will be able to grow pretty much ANY coral you want...HO t5 lighting is a great choice...

as for a skimmer i too would look at the Tunze DOC 9002...if you are not going to drill the tank then i would get a HOB filter as well...something like the aquaclear 110 or larger, and convert it into a refugium, put your heater in there and you will be set...not need for any further filtration once the skimmer is going...

here is apic of my 20H, i kept a completely mixed reef...but i had 150MH...with the t5's you will also be able to keep everything i had in my tank...best of luck...
IMG_5950.jpg

Back