24/7 ??

x947

I have a closed loop system, a carbon reactor, and a GFO reactor that I am setting up on my apex. Should these systems run 24/7, or should they be scheduled to run for portions of the day ?

I'm thinking of tying the closed loop to a feeding program to run the loop for a period following feeding to keep the foods suspended. Does it matter if I run the loop all the time (besides energy $$)?

If these should be intervaled, how many hours should each run a day ?

Thanks

Can't help you on the closed loop as I don't have one. I run my carbon 24/7, because I have a mixed reef, and some corals are pretty close with some SPS actually touching, so there is always the risk of chemical warfare. I used to run GFO 24/7, but I stopped once I had a healthy thriving refugium. With the refugium eating up the stuff, the GFO reactor became redundant, so I took it off-line several months ago.

Yes you should run all three 24/7.

Why? Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to run it. Many people have great tanks and never run any GFO, or Carbon or a CL. I really dislike simple, short answers that don't offer any explanation as to WHY!

I have all 3. I shut my CL off 3 nights a week and I feed corals one of those nights. My CL moves a lot of water and I like to 'quiet' the tank down for those that need/like/want some down time. I have a 7 day timer programed to do it all automatically. They cost $17-20 at HD.

The GFO and Carbon only get run when I see a need. I ran GFO quite a bit until I got my fuge and DSB running for some time. Now I think it's just for emergencies.

IMO, if you have them running, they should stay running 24/7 if for no other reason than to prevent the water in the plumbing from becoming stagnant. It can happen pretty quickly and make quite a mess of things.

JM.02

Why? Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to run it. Many people have great tanks and never run any GFO, or Carbon or a CL. I really dislike simple, short answers that don't offer any explanation as to WHY!

The question was not if they need to run them but rather how long should they run them during the day if they were already planning on using them. I personally do not use carbon unless it's needed, maybe twice a year. GFO is great and I highly recommend running if you any problems with phosphates. A closed loop is a debatable subject but I prefer Vortechs and/or Tunze. Now if you have the equipment already setup and attached to your tank then it should be run 24/7. I do not feel that it is a good idea to have any device just sitting there with stagnant water in it. I would also question what benefit you get from having a device off.

I am installing an apex lite as we speak so I believe I can have an ultimately flexible scheduling tool to turn these things off and on. I have read that the tr\urning on the closed loop will suspend food for filter feeders and some turn their loops on for a period after feeding while turning their main pump (filtration) off. Then the closed loop is valuable when running to keep detritus from building up in the display tank.

Anyway, you guys with more experience with these systems know their value (or not)better than I. I am just interested in using these tools in the most efficient way in my tank. I don't want to over process my water so that it is "stripped" of nutrients to the point that is detrimental to the tank inhabitants. At this point, there are no inhabitants in the tank as my cycle is not yet finished.

I was just wondering what the experience is from those who use these systems in their tanks. If you run the GFO and carbon 24/7 is it overkill ? Should I run it in 12 hours shifts ? Would it be ideal to run it 1 hour on and 1 hour off ? I think I should have that kind of flexibility with the apex.

I must say that since my goal is is "mixed" reef with some corals liking moderate flows and some liking high flows I can provide that kind of environment with the loop. I wouldn't think that I would want the loop running 24/7 but again I have -0- experience with a closed loop.

I was just looking for the real life experiences of reefers who have some knowledge of using these things to give me some advice on how best to use them.

Again, thank you all very much for your responses !!

The question was not if they need to run them but rather how long should they run them during the day if they were already planning on using them. I personally do not use carbon unless it’s needed, maybe twice a year. GFO is great and I highly recommend running if you any problems with phosphates. A closed loop is a debatable subject but I prefer Vortechs and/or Tunze. Now if you have the equipment already setup and attached to your tank then it should be run 24/7. I do not feel that it is a good idea to have any device just sitting there with stagnant water in it. I would also question what benefit you get from having a device off.

Mark,

It wasn't that the OP asked about if he needed to run it 24/7, it was your first answer that I was responding to. You just said,"Yes you should run all three 24/7." Your secnod answer is MUCH better. And you don't run all 3 items 24/7, so why did you recommend that x947 should? See my point?

As for the CL. Shuting it down for 8 hours 3 nights a week will hardly cause any stagnant water! Remember there is a return pump in the sump still running (although I do shut it off for an hour when I feed corals). The CL system holds maybe 1 or 2 gallons in a system that is how big? Mine is 350g. And even in a small system (most CL systems are 75g or more) it's only a few % of the total. And I have a friend with a great 180g tank that shuts his CL off for 8 hours every night. No side effects. As for why do it? Have you ever been on a reef at night? Sometimes at slack tide there is no water movement at all, and all kinds of life comes out of hiding. That's why!

Last edited:
I am installing an apex lite as we speak so I believe I can have an ultimately flexible scheduling tool to turn these things off and on. I have read that the tr\urning on the closed loop will suspend food for filter feeders and some turn their loops on for a period after feeding while turning their main pump (filtration) off. Then the closed loop is valuable when running to keep detritus from building up in the display tank.

Anyway, you guys with more experience with these systems know their value (or not)better than I. I am just interested in using these tools in the most efficient way in my tank. I don't want to over process my water so that it is "stripped" of nutrients to the point that is detrimental to the tank inhabitants. At this point, there are no inhabitants in the tank as my cycle is not yet finished.

I was just wondering what the experience is from those who use these systems in their tanks. If you run the GFO and carbon 24/7 is it overkill ? Should I run it in 12 hours shifts ? Would it be ideal to run it 1 hour on and 1 hour off ? I think I should have that kind of flexibility with the apex.

I must say that since my goal is is "mixed" reef with some corals liking moderate flows and some liking high flows I can provide that kind of environment with the loop. I wouldn't think that I would want the loop running 24/7 but again I have -0- experience with a closed loop.

I was just looking for the real life experiences of reefers who have some knowledge of using these things to give me some advice on how best to use them.

Again, thank you all very much for your responses !!

If you have a good skimmer, a good refugium, good RO/DI water, maybe even have a DSB, don't over feed and keep a clean system, you probably never need to run carbon or GFO. If you don't have phosphate issues, running GFO is like throwing money down a drain, litterally. And the same goes for carbon. If you have the need, use them, if you don't have the need, why water the resourses? I have both just in case I need it, but I don't even set them up unless I have the need. However, if you don't have all those other things in place, AND you have water quality issues that carbon or GFO can help with, by all means, use them. I do too.

As for the CL and stagnant water comments above??? They know not of what they talk (see my answer above). I don't normally try to be pushy about my advise here on RC, but the CL and stagnant water talk above is pure 'bovine escrement!"

I don't normally try to be pushy about my advise here on RC, but the CL and stagnant water talk above is pure 'bovine escrement!"
One thing I learned on reef central is to ignore people when they feel that their opinion is the absolute correct answer.

If you have a good skimmer, a good refugium, good RO/DI water, maybe even have a DSB, don't over feed and keep a clean system, you probably never need to run carbon or GFO. If you don't have phosphate issues, running GFO is like throwing money down a drain, litterally. And the same goes for carbon. If you have the need, use them, if you don't have the need, why water the resourses? I have both just in case I need it, but I don't even set them up unless I have the need. However, if you don't have all those other things in place, AND you have water quality issues that carbon or GFO can help with, by all means, use them. I do too.
I do agree with you here.

As for the CL and stagnant water comments above??? They know not of what they talk (see my answer above). I don't normally try to be pushy about my advise here on RC, but the CL and stagnant water talk above is pure 'bovine escrement!"

Agree . closed loop off < 24h will be no prob. I suggest that you stop worrying/over planning. Let your cycle comlete, add some life, get to know your system. then worry about the minor stuff. $0.02

Back