24 hour lighting question

Guzzetta

What timer set-up are people using for their 24 lighting systems. Anybody using the Coralife Power Center? Or anything better out there? I'm currently using 3 separate large timers, but hoping to make some room. It seemed like during the design stage I would have extra room. LOL!!!

Thanks

Forget those coralife things they are terrible. The timer on mine stopped working after a couple of months. I won't buy one again.

So your using multiple individual timers? Coralife and Current must buy from the same people. The 2 timers that came with the fixture are junk. For a light that cost nearly a thousand dollars why even include a POS timer...

Yup. I just piggy back a bunch of cheapo powerstrips and since I cant access all the outlets on them, I'm not risking overloading anything. I've been using one of those current ones for a bit that came w/ my sunpod. It seems alright. IMO nothing beats the mechanical Intermatic brand timers from depot. They are very tried and true. Make sure you get the ones with 3 prongs, though. Intermatic also makes digital timers available at depot which I have also used and are very good once you can figure out how to program them.

If you have the loot for it you could get a digital controller for your reef like a reef keeper or aqua controller. They can act as timers and do a whole lot more like monitor/control your PH, act as a wavemaker, control your ORP via ozone, etc..

+1 on digital controllers like Reef Keeper or Aqua Controller.

I got an AC Jr and it's been great. It saves me alot of room in my sump and makes things simple. It controls my 3 lights, pumps, ATO with kalkwasser, and temp. It can do alot more but I don't need them as yet.

I was thinking that might be the best route to go. How do you use the Jr. To handle your ATO? I was planning on buying a ATO really soon.

I bought a float ($7) and holder ($4) from aquahub, a round 9 pin male serial connector ($2) from my local Fry's Elect. store, and Aqualifter ($11) from marinedepot.

After soldering the wires from the float to 2 pins on the serial connector, I hung the float on the holder and molded the holder onto the sump. Connect the float to serial port on the AC Jr and Aqualifter to the DC8. The Aqualifter draws RO water mixed with kalkwasser from a reservoir. The AC Jr will sense the float and tell the pump to turn on or off.

Thanks. It's not my idea in anyway...I just follow instructions and advices from others on this site. Tons of great stuffs on here.

Back