24" vs 20" Tall

fishsticks4sale

Sorry mods if i'm not posting in the correct section, this is just a vs question which i'm stuck on.
I called cadlights today and heard bad new, they tell me they no longer make the 25x24x20 cube tank and are replacing it with 24x24x24. i'm not thrillled and would like some input on the benefits of the taller tank? i know the 20" is easier to clean but that's all i can gather. i plan on having a coral filled tank.

my main thing is coral, will i be able to host a wider variety of coral since higher up the light will be really strong and weak at the bottom.

The Radon will be plenty of light, I run a HYDRA52 over my 24x24x24.

You will also have a larger, more stable, water volume and able to build a taller aquascape (if you wan to).

SCA Aquariums still offers a 50g "cube" in the dimensions you prefer - nice quality, good customer service, and less expensive...

SCA Aquariums still offers a 50g "cube" in the dimensions you prefer - nice quality, good customer service, and less expensive...

Do you own one? Where are they made? I was looking at those and they look pretty well made. I only picked cadlights because i owned one many years ago.
Come to find out they no longer manufacture in Ontario California, they said they have them made somewhere else i think even over seas to cut cost.

A cube should be equal length, height and depth. Perhaps there were issues with marketing it as a cube, when it's not?

Do you own one? Where are they made? I was looking at those and they look pretty well made. I only picked cadlights because i owned one many years ago.

SC Aquariums are made in China as of about a year ago. I think the guy here is named Steve. IIRC he is the brother of the guy in China who runs the factory that builds them.

If the built in China doesn't bother you, Steve is a great guy to deal with. The tanks look very well built. And I suggest springing for the all real wood stand. After travelling to their operation in SoCal to see them for myself I bought two 150s and stands. But I've not yet filled them so can't give an opinion beyond the low-iron glass looking great, the price being right, and the seams looking well done with black silicone. Except for the sumps, which were clear. The stand package is a great deal. If you don't want the pump or skimmer try asking for a credit. And they might do a Black Friday deal as well so ask.

Did I mention Steve seems like a really good guy? And if Ecotech is your brand, SCA may very well have the best prices you'll find.

Come to find out they no longer manufacture in Ontario California, they said they have them made somewhere else i think even over seas to cut cost.

Yes, I own one, and I believe they are Chinese in origin, but very well made. As suggested above, they offer a real wood stand (go with that), otherwise the MDF stand is acceptable, but not great.

Sump is actually serviceable, but I prefer a different skimmer than what they offer (either Eshopps S-120 or Bubble Magus Curve 5), and I am using a Sicce Syncra 2.0 for my return as the included pump is simply too noisy (serviceable as a utility pump for other duties).

The standard plumbing setup is a Durso and split return (2 holes drilled in overflow, 1" and 0.5"), but I believe they will also offer an additional Herbie layout for free if requested. The "freshwater" option is $60 cheaper with no skimmer ($635 shipped!).

I find that the sumps with SCA tanks just like cadlights basically suck. If you get the tank from them I would see about just getting the tank and stand with the overflow in herbie config vs durso with equal size holes. Get the sump, pump and skimmer elsewhere. The Skimz UP22 sump would fit along with the Icecap 15 or you can order a custom one.

Not sure if you can get the Planet Aquariums in your area? They make a crystaline series that is very nice. I went with the 36x20x21, but they also make a 24x20x21

It's all personal opinion. I've had a few 24" tanks and one 30" tank. Now I have a 14" deep, shallow reef and a 20" mixed reef and display refugium. IMHO, unless you have more than 2' front to back, 24" tall is more than enough and I like the 20" much better. Easier to work in and better proportions to look at.

Back