250watt Metal Halide too much for zoas?

reefer_for_life

im setting up a 65gallon tank (36x18x24), im wanting to keep zoa's, rics and sps corals. was all set on 175watters when i first started planning, but now that ive had time to think about it im not sure if i shouldnt go with 250's. would the 250's be too strong for zoa's and rics on a 24" deep tank? im going to run a 10k coralvue bulb, with 4x95watt VHO actinics. also, im going to have 2 4" icecap fans in the canopy. will the fans be enough to keep the temp down for 250's? what would be the best way to configure my fans? both blowing in? one blowing in, the other pulling air out? the canopy is going to have an open back, with light diffuser for the back of the canopy. any help suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

thats ALOT of light on a 65g. depending on how well the room with the tank is temperature controlled in the summer, you will most likely need excellent circulation above the water surface (like an open top tank), and/or possibly a chiller to ensure you dont have overheating.

i know people who keep SPS only tanks, that are 90g-120g with equal lighting to what you are describing. 250w SE moguls (10k), + VHO and/or T5 actinics. you will definitely be blasting all the corals in there.

its entirely possible you will do ok with keeping zoas/rics on the bottom, in the shade of rock cliffs and large sps structures.

your best bet is to get a chiller, to be absolutely sure you dont have overheating problems.

why not get a 75g, 90g or even 120g? your lighting is plenty sufficient for a larger tank.

finding a balance for lighting a mixed reef tank is a big challenge. i dont think anyone can tell you what will definitely work and what wont. it will just take some trial and error to find the right equipment setting to your liking.

I have a 250 watt MH with a Hamilton 14k supplemented with 1x110 watt VHO White actinic and 1x110 VHO 03 actinic. This is all on a 40g long I have the VHO about 2 inches off the water and the MH about 8inchs off the water and all of my zoanthids and lps and softies like it. I do have open tops and no actual canopy to trap heat.....I do run air conditioner in the summer so it never really has heat issues.

I run 2x250 14k Hamilton with 2x96 VHO actinics in an enclosed suspended canopy over an open top 72 bowfront. The tank is set up as an SPS/LPS/Zoa lagoonal reef.

I keep my zoas and mushrooms on the bottom. I've had to shade the yumas. The zoas like to be out in the open. I have a few zoas at the top of the tank but way off to the side.

I've had to move some candycane and chalice into the shade because of the brightness.

Short answer no.

Your zoas will do fine under that lighting, even near surface. I have a 250w DE setup on my 20g and I have my zoas within 4 inches of the surface and they have exploded with color.

Back