29g bio cube lighting

Fishboy321

im thinking about upgrading my lights on my bio-cube, i was thinking about getting the Nanocustoms 4.36 series upgrade. does anybody have this upgrade for their biocube? what do you think of it and is it worth the money over just staying with the stock lights

I am still debating on my upgrade as well.

While I love the MH look and I am sure most corals would like that I need to keep my hood on the tank (2 young kids that throw things).

I see that NT's has a 4.36W kit and they offer MH kits now too. 1.70 and 1.150 but I am afraid that if I got a MH in that hood the tank would boil. Plus I do not have the electricity available for a chiller.

So what I really want to know is how does the 4.36 kits really work in terms of coral growth and color?

I installed this kit in August and since then my frogspawn has grown from 2 heads to over 12. My toadstool has gone from about the size of a quarter to about the size of the bottom of a popcan. GSP has grown really fast, luckily it isn't on the main rockwork. Polyps have gone from about 10 polyps to about 40. I'm not sure how fast most of these corals grow in general, but the growth has greatly improved over just the stock hood. I had the stock hood for about 6 months and hardly noticed any significant growth.

For the price it is a good deal at least to me because I have cats, like the closed top look, have no desire to put sps in a nano and it gives me good growth with good colors.

i was also looking at the sunpod, the only thing i didnt like was the fact that it leaves the top of the tank open so i was thinking that evap might be a problem. do you have glass tops on your cube with the sunpod?

i did the nanotuners upgrade and it was great - at first. when it comes time to replace the bulbs it's gonna be about $100 vs. $35 to replace a 150w sunpod bulb. Plus you can get a used sunpod for cheaper than the upgrade.

BTW, I know someone selling the upgraded hood if your interested. He's an RC member, so if your interested let me know and I'll shoot him a PM.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14772523#post14772523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxheadroom
i did the nanotuners upgrade and it was great - at first. when it comes time to replace the bulbs it's gonna be about $100 vs. $35 to replace a 150w sunpod bulb. Plus you can get a used sunpod for cheaper than the upgrade.

While this makes sense I need to have a top on my tank. That leaves me with the PC upgrades only.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14772523#post14772523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxheadroom

what sunpod are you using/ talking about, the size for the bio cube is like 400 bucks right? compared to 150 for the nano tuners upgrade? and to replace the bulb in the nano tuners upgrade its just the same bulbs as what comes stock? there only like twenty for the 10,00k and a little cheaper for the attics?

im confused:(

i picked up a 20" 150 watt sunpod for $150 used. i got a brand new bulb for $35. When i was looking for replacement pc bulbs for the BC hood, the bulbs were about $25 each shipped x 4 bulbs.

thats not too bad seeing how your in flordia, but i have a radient wrasse and would hate for him to jump out. do you know of any glass tops out there for the cube? ive seen pictures of them here but have no idea were people are getting them

Back