29g vs 40breeder aqueon?

Slammed01

Hi all!

Looking to invest in a aqueon 29 or 40 breeder from petco since they have the aqueon for 1/2 off. May store it in a closet and piece together a setup for assembly in a year. Coming from salt reef just no time or $$$ with toddler and infant. Planned cichlids but a simple salt and soft corals. I don't think would be too bad and much funner! (Had 55, 29g, 46 bow, 75, 90, 46 bow)

Only thing that concerns me is 40B has no center brace but opens up many livestock options.

. Had a 46 bow I scored used but just sold as I didn't want to have it sitting in the garage in the heat. Trying to wait a year so our son will be 2 and tank will be in living room (main room with him crawling, in cruiser crashing into things currently lol)

Looking at

40Breeder

Petsmart 50/65 Marco stand (heard same dimensions as 40B)

Sunsun canister to save room from spacing from wall 6" or so (model undetermined)

Heater (undetermined)

Pool sand

36" aqueon modular led light or current USA?

Hydor power heads? Necessary in FW?

Any good job skimmers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd much rather have a 40b than the 29G
and I'd use proper aragonite sand (seafloor special grade)
add a decent HOB skimmer like an eshopps or reef octopus or aquamax..

But I wouldn't do any of it right now if I was needing to save money and don't see why you would buy it all just to store it in a closet either..Petco has that sale all the time.. It will come around again..

The 40 breeder is a better tank in many different ways. Just like you mentioned, it opens up more livestock options, It's easier to aquascape due to the footprint etc. the lack of a center brace isn't a problem due to the height. Any taller and it would need one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29g vs 40breeder aqueon?

I'd much rather have a 40b than the 29G
and I'd use proper aragonite sand (seafloor special grade)
add a decent HOB skimmer like an eshopps or reef octopus or aquamax..

But I wouldn't do any of it right now if I was needing to save money and don't see why you would buy it all just to store it in a closet either..Petco has that sale all the time.. It will come around again..

Sorry, started out as cichlids and a freshwater goal but after so many salt tanks idk if I can go FW lol. Well tank is $50 and card offer of 15 off $50 so $35 and slowly piece together over next few months.

Will def not go pool sand for salt I should have corrected but was late lol. Mix of live and dry most likely.

Last edited:
I think I've lost brain cells reading your sentences..
Not sure if its the iphone or cali.. :p

My vote is the 40. I'm in the process of upgrading my 20L to a 40. Bought a nice R&J stand and am in the process of getting some other components together before I swap the tanks out.

Link to stand? You get online or local? Just got a 15% off purchase so bought their last 40b and top glass for $67 after American Express deal. Figure I was across the street so hey! Money towards other goodies [emoji23]

Was considering 29 but that extra coupon on top of the tank sale pretty much got versa top for free even if I don't use it.

I bought the stand through my LFS. Paid around $220. Its oak with an espresso colored stain. Nice looking stand. They did have to special order it because I think it usually has only one door, but I waned two doors.

Stand opinions, found a used canopy and stand but I hear really good reviews on the aquatic fundamentals black from petco. My tank is 36x18x16.

CL find is 38Wx20Dx30t, said it's from a 60 but I would need to paint and not even sure if canopy would fit and I can built one cheap. Do like the double doors, tank leaks so I'd have to trash that but said stand is solid for $60

b5fddeadda6f90bdcbcd9076fab30b15.jpg

These have really great feedback online and YouTube and wouldn't have to hassle paint for around $100 with 1 door [emoji848]

9c75338fd382fb74f1b85affaddcc29a.jpg

I like the look of the single door stand, but if you are going to be running a sump, it will be a pain to access parts of it because of limited access to the inside of the cabinet.

29g vs 40breeder aqueon?

Thank you!think I'm set on the aquatic fundamentals stand, petsmarts Marco appears to be the same. No sump for this one.

So I got the green light from the fiancée, she mentioned she wish we could set one up now and have out of the way so I suggested the entry way nook and she said that works [emoji1307][emoji1303] prob a clown, crab and goby tank along with maybe a flame or another fish later. Not heavily stocked.

I saw dr foster and smith has $50 gift card if I spend $125 so that would the the aquatic fundamentals stand purchase haha.

Plan now, let me know any thoughts :

Aquaclear 70 for surface agitation and options $50

Live/dry sand mix

2-koralia 550 Powerheads $40

Eheim heater 125/150? Stays warm here in northern cali. Ideally run 2-125s $30

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light $139

Bucket O' salt

I would try to get a HOB skimmer on there too. Your going to have to do frequent, large, water changes without one. I assume your using live rock for bio filtration?

Good luck with your build.

Roy

Yea, would get live rock. Did 5 G changes on my 46 bow without issue running emperor 400/no skimmer.

To me u would need to decide if u would rather the aquaclear or a skimmer. To me it would be way to much stuff hanging on the tank to have both, especially if u don't use a canopy. It may not both u though. U can get creative to hide them for the most part if u decide to use a canopy. The skimmer would be way more useful then a hang on filter. The only good thing about the aquaclear is it gives u a place to run carbon or gfo if u choose. That is about all it's good for though

Back