Sump in separate room: need plumbing help/advice

J Crew

Hello, I’m coming back to the hobby after a 20 year absence. A lot has changed! Haha.

I’m picking up a used Waterbox package (Reef 130.4) with stand, sump, LR, and various equipment like lights, pumps, and skimmer.

This tank will be for my office and I will not be with it everyday, so I want to automate as much as I can. Luckily, I also have a small shower room that is unused and that I can use for an equipment/tank room. This room is approx 12 feet away, with a necessary 8-10 feet run up the wall into the attic and then 6 feet down to the countertop of the equipment room.

I need help planning the basics of my plumbing. I can get into bulkheads and quick disconnects and all that details once I get some advice on basic layout and functionality first.

Here are my thoughts as I’m typing this
I use the current Waterbox sump for additional water volume, but I plump out of this sump and then over to the equipment room into a larger sump where Incan run all of my equipment. The sump being considered is the Trigger Systems Platinum Sump 39. This should give me all the room I need to place my equipment, and also easily try different equipment out as I get curious or new techniques emerge.

• First, is this a sound idea?
  • Second, what basic equipment and materials will I need to move water from the sump under the tank to the larger sump in the equipment room and then back?
  • Third, am I up against flow issues and will this be hard to calibrate the flow?
Thank you for your time and help. I’m sorry if I’m asking very basic questions or if I’m asking something without providing enough info. I’m just trying to get my head wrapped around everything and am trying to cut down on my learning curve by asking for advice from the amazing Reefer community. If you need more info to answer my questions then let me know and I’ll try to provide it. Thank you again! - Jason

Double Trouble! Just plumb into the equipment room.
Make sure you put the sump OFF THE FLOOR as high as you can without drain interference.
Sumps on the floor are a PITA to work on & your knees will thank you every time.
The drains function on atmospheric pressure with no help from us except starting them correctly.
The only suggestion is a GATE VALVE on the main drain, NOT a ball valve.
A drawing will help in planning out all fittings, etc.

I do not believe your idea will work. You are essentially pumping water in both directions and the pumps would have to match output for this to work. Over time I think you will find this is impossible to keep working right.
A tank normally drains to the sump. A drain can vary greatly in the amount of water it will allow to return to the sump.
Nothing has to be matched for it to work.

Back