2Tall 185g - Build

Finished the main column today and went with 1/2" PVC for the structural and base support. This column is 29" tall and I may add another smaller piece on top of that. It is very sturdy with very little flex, I had to beef up the base to remove the flex in the upper part.
The lower half is epoxied together and the upper half pieces will be slipped into place once the base column is it the tank. This will make for easier/safer install and removal when needed.
The closed loop intake strainer was screwed in and I was able to drill a 1.5" hole through a rock to help hide it. The CL return was also screwed into the bulkhead; I had to make a 3 foot tool out of 1.5" PVC to get it screwed in. After the CL plumbing, I dropped in the first 50# of Argagmax sugar-sized sand. I filled small bathroom trash bags with the rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed and...) sand and lowered to the bottom, this helped cut down on the foggy mess by dropping in from 38" up and allows specific placement.
Friend is coming over tomorrow to help get the column placed and will then get the rest of the sand in. I want to see how it looks in the water to decide where more rock will go if any.
More to come, thanks for following along!

10ifkop.jpg

2agj3og.jpg

apb2bn.jpg

2elqzip.jpg

Got the rock column safely placed in the tank today and I'm really liking it! Not sure yet on adding more rock, I will have to look at it for a few days - what do you think about more rock??
Going to add the rest of the sand tomorrow, probably not more than 2" total depth as I want a fairly shallow bed for easier maintenance.
Still a bit cloudy and using an old 2 bulb 96w Coralife for temporary light.

What do you think, any suggestions?
8xrlz5.jpg

1px8r4.jpg

zioak1.jpg

er0wsm.jpg

157gep0.jpg

28s3ear.jpg

25s8n7c.jpg

dm5fls.jpg

20gy8l.jpg

Looking good bugs! You have been putting in some work. I have a couple suggestions; I would make your DSB at least 3 to 4 inches, it will hide your PVC better, especially once you start adding flow the sand is going to move where it wants to. Also if you ever decide you want a sand dwelling anemone for your tank, you will need at least a 3 to 4 in. Sandbed. lastly I think the rock work looks great and I would leave it be. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!
I believe you are right on the 3-4" DSB!
I'm running about 2500gph flow right now and the CL will add another 1000gph and more if I decide to use one of my MP40's... I'm already seeing sand dunes form, so I 'm thinking more sugar sand and a step up in particle size to mix with it. With this much flow, I shouldn't have much problem with bottom muck.

I received my motor bearings from Reeflo today, so I'll tear down the Dart and get that done tonight. I'll do pictures of the bearings replacement in case anyone wants to see.
Here are a few more pics after the fog lifted:

2466wzb.jpg

34t3e44.jpg

Really like how this is taking shape. Is that all Marco Key Largo?
Thank you and yes, all Marco Key Largo. From other rock I have seen, this rock is light, easy to drill and per their website, can be rinsed and dropped in the tank no cooking/curing. I haven't tested the water for anything yet, but I will before I start the cycle.
I really like Marco rock!

Disassembled the Dart tonight and replaced the bearings with new from Reeflo; the bearings I removed were made in Poland, the bearings from Reeflo were made in China. Bought a puller from HF and tapped in the new ones using a right sized socket for the inside part of the bearing. Reassembled and still have noise! It is coming from the motor and not the fan or impeller as I ran it bare without the fan or wet side assembly. I'm thinking it is the cheap China made bearings and ordered sealed, better quality ones from VXB.com. Although Reeflo says to give them 48hrs to wear in, maybe they will quiet down??
I ordered 2 different kinds of the same size and will also do bearings in my Barracuda.
I took a bunch of pics and will post with part numbers when I am successful and finished.
Can't wait to get this thing cycling and see the diatoms come and go, then its fish time! Still haven't given much though as to what creatures will inhabit this chunk of fake reef... that time will come!

Replaced the bearings with better quality and installed new seals - now runs very quiet and is leak free finally!
I ordered the bearings from VXB Bearings,
Part # KIT8983
Size: S6203-RS2, Stainless Steal Bearings 17x40x12mm
$11.95 each
They have cheaper ones, but I hopefully got some that will last awhile and remain quiet.
http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

What I've learned from reasearch and doing this:
Bearings last longer if seals are regularly changed; leaky seals can cause premature failure of the front bearing. Worn bearings can cause premature failure of the seals do to excessive movement of the shaft. After completion, I had no movement at all from my shaft and it turned very smooth.

When installing the new bearings, set one bearing at a time on a 60w bulb for about 10 minutes to heat it up, then simply slip it on the shaft. It should go right against the retainer, hold the hot bearing in place wearing a glove (A sock worked for me) until it completely cools. If it moves out of place, you will not be able to move it without damaging the new bearing, so be patient! The first bearings I installed I used a socket to tap the bearings in, the light bulb method, courtesy of a BeanAnimal post, works WAY better and less chance of damaging the new bearings! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1902845&highlight=dart+bearings
I bought a $12 puller kit from Harbor Freight which worked perfectly for removing the old bearings. It took me about an hour to do, but let it set for another 5 hours so the silicone used on the seal replacement could cure.

I'm glad I did this myself as I can now add electric motor tech to my growing list of degrees I've earned in my reefing career....Plumber, chemist, electronics/LED, aquascapest, fish doctor, coral surgeon and woodworker.:mixed:
Will be starting the cycle tomorrow and begin adapting my RPS2000 skimmer
from metric to standard connections.

PICTURES PART 1
34ypkk9.jpg

abgw3a.jpg

2wnusdg.jpg

mmd7nk.jpg

2ljq1wh.jpg

dmfbk4.jpg

1rc5jq.jpg

Started the cycle yesterday with 3 medium raw shrimp and added another 60lbs medium fsize sand to the 120lbs sugar sand. It will now be a shallow DSB at about 3.5" or so deep. The sugar sand was making big dunes throughout the tank, exposing the PVC base on the rock column - thanks Rippinfrags!
Will get the CL hooked up and running in the next few days and then wait for the diatoms.

Hey Phil, thanks for the pictures of the pump rebuild. I have a little giant pump that has shot bearings. Now I know how to do it.

:thumbsup:

Finished the main column today and went with 1/2" PVC for the structural and base support. This column is 29" tall and I may add another smaller piece on top of that. It is very sturdy with very little flex, I had to beef up the base to remove the flex in the upper part.
The lower half is epoxied together and the upper half pieces will be slipped into place once the base column is it the tank. This will make for easier/safer install and removal when needed.
The closed loop intake strainer was screwed in and I was able to drill a 1.5" hole through a rock to help hide it. The CL return was also screwed into the bulkhead; I had to make a 3 foot tool out of 1.5" PVC to get it screwed in. After the CL plumbing, I dropped in the first 50# of Argagmax sugar-sized sand. I filled small bathroom trash bags with the rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed and...) sand and lowered to the bottom, this helped cut down on the foggy mess by dropping in from 38" up and allows specific placement.
Friend is coming over tomorrow to help get the column placed and will then get the rest of the sand in. I want to see how it looks in the water to decide where more rock will go if any.
More to come, thanks for following along!

10ifkop.jpg

2agj3og.jpg

apb2bn.jpg

2elqzip.jpg

I really like the idea of the pvc pipe. im gonna use this idea on my current project

Sweet build Phil, what a score on the tank!

With that depth, your MP's are gonna be a blast!
To accelerate coralline and critters, I'd fire at least one 400 w MH above the reef for at least a year......YEA! purpled-up from sand bed to wave crest! Keep On Reefin' On!! T

Thanks John!
I Will be doing a DIY LED build at this point, but may very well need a MH to supplement. Will see what happens with par readings when I get it built.
I just want all this white rock to turn purple like your beautiful rock/tank!:thumbsup:

great build so far! :thumbsup:

i saw your thread about closed-loop pumps and here I discovery you have a reeflo dart (gold one) for return, right? Try to make a test using this pump, I know it's overrated for your closed-loop size but give it a try - 800gph is too few for what you need and 4300gph is to big :D

but try it and tell us your experience! i bet you'll find the midway!

about the overflow systems, is it too noise? you can use beananimal overflow and mod it to connect the open-channel standpipe to the emergency one - visit his HUGE thread: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System

Last edited:
great build so far! :thumbsup:

i saw your thread about closed-loop pumps and here I discovery you have a reeflo dart (gold one) for return, right? Try to make a test using this pump, I know it's overrated for your closed-loop size but give it a try - 800gph is too few for what you need and 4300gph is to big :D

but try it and tell us your experience! i bet you'll find the midway!

about the overflow systems, is it too noise? you can use beananimal overflow and mod it to connect the open-channel standpipe to the emergency one - visit his HUGE thread: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System

Thanks Euler!
Really liking your mammoth build also!
This weekend will hookup a Snapper (2400gph) for the CL and see what happens. My plan of using 2 MP40WES is a no go as I have 1" thick panels, they are good up to .75". Will have to buy or trade the MP40's for an MP60, BUT may not need them with the added flow from the CL Snapper. Total flow minus head loss with both Dart and Snapper should be at minimum 3500gph which would be 18 x per hour turn over.

Been cycling about 6 days now, current numbers:
NH3: 1.0 ppm
NO2: 25
NO3: 0.00

2rdb14k.jpg

... Will have to buy or trade the MP40's for an MP60, BUT may not need them with the added flow from the CL Snapper. Total flow minus head loss with both Dart and Snapper should be at minimum 3500gph which would be 18 x per hour turn over.

Been cycling about 6 days now, current numbers:
NH3: 1.0 ppm
NO2: 25
NO3: 0.00

18x???? who need a powerhead with that??? :uzi:

btw, amazing tank and... cycle phase sucks :sad1: :spin1:

are you going to dose something? Prodibio, Zeo products?

:pYes, flow should not be a problem with this tank....
No dosing, just letting the raw shrimp do their thing; may take a bit longer but has always worked good for me.
As soon as the cycle is stable, I will add some Reefstew, then snails, crabs, then some cleaner shrimp. Then if all goes well it will be fish time.

Today, NO3 showed up and NH3 doubled. It's fun to watch the cycle in all its steps!
NH3: 2.0
NO2: .50
MO3: 5.0

Back