3 Clownfish Questions

frogdog

Relentless Question-Asker
I have 3 questions for the experts:

In a 75G tank:

1. If you have a pair of clownfish (1 male and 1 female) that are happy together, will they be happy to together permanently or will one eventually turn on the other?

2. Is there a list somewhere of which species are the most peaceful and which are the most aggressive? (I haven't found one.)

3. Are there any fish other than clownfish that you can have in a 75G with a pair of clownfish, that the clownfish won't harass to death? If so, can I have an example?

THANKS!

I have 3 questions for the experts:

In a 75G tank:

1. If you have a pair of clownfish (1 male and 1 female) that are happy together, will they be happy to together permanently or will one eventually turn on the other?

Depends. Some species have a greater propensity for the female to want a new spouse. I have never seen the reverse happen.

2. Is there a list somewhere of which species are the most peaceful and which are the most aggressive? (I haven't found one.)

Not that I am aware of. There are some that are known to be super aggressive. But according to Joyce Wilkersen (Clownfish by Joyce Wilkersen) there is a direct relationship between adult female size and the distance they will leave their host anemone. The further they will "travel" seems to be directly related to level of aggression

3. Are there any fish other than clownfish that you can have in a 75G with a pair of clownfish, that the clownfish won't harass to death? If so, can I have an example? depends on species of clownfish. Premnas biaculeatus are the worst in my experience. I have had them come after me (when I was diving) and they can definitely draw blood.

THANKS!

The first two I don't know, but the last one, if you manage to have a very peaceful couple, peaceful fish are acceptable I'd think. I have a Chromis and a PJ Cardinal with my couple, and the Chromis swims with the couple... almost as if they were a threesome :lol: Sometimes if the female gets irritated at the Chromis she'll just push him away, no biting or smacking, just a nudge in the other direction and the Chromis goes. Of course, the Chromis and PJ were there before both clowns. :)

All depends on the couple I would say.

when clowns pair up its a very strong bond. the female does not harm the male once bonded . only on a rare occasion does a female turn on the male.

when clowns pair up its a very strong bond. the female does not harm the male once bonded . only on a rare occasion does a female turn on the male.

Well, my experience with Premnas biaculeatus indicates it does happen. Frequency? Who knows.

Thank you so much, Mynx, GG111, and snorvich, my hero. For what it's worth, Premnas biaculeatus would be my *last* choice.

One more question. Do clownfish fry ever survive in a display tank without being specially tended to in their own aquarium?

For what it's worth, Premnas biaculeatus would be my *last* choice.

Well, as a species only tank with anemone, they are pretty cool. But they guard about 50 gallons (estimated) tank space.

One more question. Do clownfish fry ever survive in a display tank without being specially tended to in their own aquarium?

No. Feeding requirements are the issue. But I have seen Bangaii cardinal fish babies which fell into the sump survive. And in fact that is the only reason they made it because they would have otherwise been eaten.

Back