3 TDS good enough for SPS?

downhillbiker

Is 3 TDS after an RO/DI unit good enough to keep SPS corals? found a unit i want that does 300 TDS to 3 TDS, and want to know if that is good enough.

I only have 30-40 TDS tap water, but will eventually move, and don't know what my water will be like then.

So your monitor only goes as low as 3 TDS? So thats means you could have lower but the monitor cuts off at 3 . Is this correct? If you are at 3 that should be fine for SPS but you may want to look into a more accurate monitor that measures down to 0 if possible to get a better idea of what the make up is after the ro/di. I use an inline TDS monitor was only like $25 bucks. They have them listed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HM-Digital-DM-1...yZ117435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes, only 0 should come out of a DI unit, or something is wrong.

Those numbers would only be acceptable for RO only.

DI should always be zero, anything above could indicate a problem with the filter.

3 TDS could be 3 of anything that registers on the TDS meter. Could be 3 copper, could be 3 calcium, impossible to say.

actually i want to buy a unit that garentees 3ppm from 300ppm. i dont have a meter or unit, this is just what the company garenteees.

here is the link to the unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...:MEWA:IT&ih=001

heres a link to another unit made by the same company that does 0 tds:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...:MEWA:IT&ih=001

Is it really worth it? I mean how much does that 3 tds really matter?

Dont tell me I need to buy a unit from marinedepot or drsfosterandsmith for $300 thats BS. This unit for $100 will work just fine. I feel confident in their AMERICAN MADE unit.

I just dont know if I should go with the cheaper one, or if its really necessary to buy the 0ppm filter.

I can't get to the ebay listings for some reason, but as stated above, if this unit has di then you should get 0ppm until the di media is exhausted . My tap is around 250ppm and I get 0 after my di media. Actually it ran out last week and now I'm getting 3ppm after my media so I will be ordering a replacement today. Before I added the di part to my ro unit I was getting between 12ppm and 15ppm with no ill effects to my tank.

I think you have made up your mind and want us to confirm it. Given the amount of money I have invested in corals, there is no way I am going to buy a cheap RO/DI with no TDS meter. This is not a cheap hobby. Any time my TDS is greater than 0, I replace the filters.

I have on of the $100 dollar units from e-bay. I also purchased an in-line TDS meter as well. I have had 0ppm until lately. Replaced the nuclear resin last night and we are back at 0.

So if it's confimation you need here it is. IT WORKS!

I like the customer service of Air Water Ice too. I had a problem with it taking too long, and they helped troubleshoot it until it was fixed. And if you buy a unit from them and something goes wrong with it, they'll replace it for you. And I like the free TDS meter!! I think mine was 175

I would be less concerned about the product working, and more concerned with if it did break down, would the ebay people help fix it? In my experience, ebay sellers don't really stand by their products. Again, just my feeling.

Back