3 years in and still fumbling about

Guber2881

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum as I’ve used it quite a lot for reference. Had to change my return pump after three years. Similar size and flow rate. Since then my skimmer is producing watery froth with hardly any waste. it’s a Red Sea skimmer and I’ve cleaned it and checked for blockages etc. The adjuster is on the lowest minus point and still large frothy bubbles. Does the skimmer need replacing (3 years old) Or should I try and raise the skimmer in the sump? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum as I’ve used it quite a lot for reference. Had to change my return pump after three years. Similar size and flow rate. Since then my skimmer is producing watery froth with hardly any waste. it’s a Red Sea skimmer and I’ve cleaned it and checked for blockages etc. The adjuster is on the lowest minus point and still large frothy bubbles. Does the skimmer need replacing (3 years old) Or should I try and raise the skimmer in the sump? Any help would be appreciated.
How long since you replaced the return pump? My first thought would be manufacturing oils from the pump interfering with skimming. It can take some time to clear. Running some activated carbon can help if that's what it is.

How long since you replaced the return pump? My first thought would be manufacturing oils from the pump interfering with skimming. It can take some time to clear. Running some activated carbon can help if that's what it is.
I think I’ve found the issue. Thought I’d given it a good clean until I rechecked the venturi which was full of rock hard build up. Problem solved now. Thank you for replying.

I think I’ve found the issue. Thought I’d given it a good clean until I rechecked the venturi which was full of rock hard build up. Problem solved now. Thank you for replying.

Yea the venturis can clog pretty fast on some skimmers. I usually pop them off every other month and clean them. I have had some after a month affect performance notably.

Back