Return to the hobby after 12 years

serpentman

part time superhero
Thinking about getting back into the hobby after a long 12-year hiatus (long story). Prior to my departure, I had a 300g SPS in-wall reef (link below) that I very much miss. Unfortunately, this go-around, I'm looking at a much more modest build due to limited space. I am thinking a 40g breeder or a similar sized all-in-one design. I'm still an equipment junkie so don't need turnkey but like the finished look of the pricier all-in-one setups (any recommendations?). In the meantime, I'm sure a lot has changed. When I shut my old tank down, LED lighting was in its infancy so looking for a decent tutorial on LED lighting. Also, what about protein skimmers? Are people still using them a lot. I'm thinking that this will largely determine whether I go with a sump or not.

EDIT:

Will continue to research but so far, here is what I think I'm going to go with:

My old build:

Last edited:
Welcome back to the hobby.

Skimmers are hit or miss. I don’t run one. Others run them full time. Others run them only some of the time.

Lighting is all going to depend on budget and coverage.

At the top price end: a Radion XR15, Neptune Sky, or AI Hydra 32.

Mid Range Price: Reefi Uno 2.0

Low End: Viparspectra, SmatFarm, NiCrew, Noopsyche or similar would work.

In the end it boils down to price, features, warranty and related support (or lack thereof), and ultimately coverage. In the low price point I didn’t specify models (some models will have better coverage, features, etc than others).

For example, the Viparspectra is 2 channel control and does not have an app last I knew. SmatFarm is 6 channel control but no app and as I have one of the G5 models, quite frankly the spectrum leaves a bit to be desired to really get that color “pop,” but it grows coral and anemones just fine. NiCrew, I personally wouldn’t buy another NiCrew product unless significant advancements have been made but that’s just my personal experience with the lack of control in the one light I’ve purchased. Noopsyche has a decent reputation but the app and UI can be a bit clunky.

Welcome back to the hobby.

Skimmers are hit or miss. I don’t run one. Others run them full time. Others run them only some of the time.

Lighting is all going to depend on budget and coverage.

At the top price end: a Radion XR15, Neptune Sky, or AI Hydra 32.

Mid Range Price: Reefi Uno 2.0

Low End: Viparspectra, SmatFarm, NiCrew, Noopsyche or similar would work.

In the end it boils down to price, features, warranty and related support (or lack thereof), and ultimately coverage. In the low price point I didn’t specify models (some models will have better coverage, features, etc than others).

For example, the Viparspectra is 2 channel control and does not have an app last I knew. SmatFarm is 6 channel control but no app and as I have one of the G5 models, quite frankly the spectrum leaves a bit to be desired to really get that color “pop,” but it grows coral and anemones just fine. NiCrew, I personally wouldn’t buy another NiCrew product unless significant advancements have been made but that’s just my personal experience with the lack of control in the one light I’ve purchased. Noopsyche has a decent reputation but the app and UI can be a bit clunky.
Thanks. Looking at the Reefi Uno as an option. I'm guessing I would need 2. Do you think I'd need two for a 36" wide tank?

Hey, welcome back. I remember you as well.

I can't really talk about LEDs as I'm still running MH;)

As far as skimmers, as Shane mentioned, some don't use them at all, some use them full time and others use them occasionally. I personally run an older eShopps cone skimmer full time on my 40 breeder...just because🤷‍♂️

Hey, welcome back. I remember you as well.

I can't really talk about LEDs as I'm still running MH;)

As far as skimmers, as Shane mentioned, some don't use them at all, some use them full time and others use them occasionally. I personally run an older eShopps cone skimmer full time on my 40 breeder...just because🤷‍♂️
Thanks. Looking forward to returning. My wallet not so much lol.

I recognize that handle as well. Welcome back. If I were buying lights right now, I’d go with the Reefi…lots of bang for the bucks. As others mentioned, super clean/extremely low nutrient water is no longer considered a “good” thing. On the other hand, a skimmer allows you to feed your fish and coral heavily and often. You could always get a skimmer that is underrated for the size of your tank. I just dusted off my old precision marine skimmer and it’s doing great. Corals look happier due to feeding.

I recognize that handle as well. Welcome back. If I were buying lights right now, I’d go with the Reefi…lots of bang for the bucks. As others mentioned, super clean/extremely low nutrient water is no longer considered a “good” thing. On the other hand, a skimmer allows you to feed your fish and coral heavily and often. You could always get a skimmer that is underrated for the size of your tank. I just dusted off my old precision marine skimmer and it’s doing great. Corals look happier due to feeding.
Thanks! I may have to "de-program" my old school brain! I've always been a super low nutrient proponent. I also like to run a higher bioload and feed stuff.

Thanks! I may have to "de-program" my old school brain! I've always been a super low nutrient proponent. I also like to run a higher bioload and feed stuff.
Yes, yes you will. I actually *shudder* add Nitrate to my system:eek:

1709751239808.png

With regards to the uno, at 11 inches above the water it has a spread of 24x24. A common thing it seems with most LEDs is shadowing, so I personally would get two to get even better coverage.

Edit to add, if you keep rock off the glass, could likely suffice with one provided no cross brace. But I’m also a guy running 2x250 w halides on my 65 plus LED blue bars

Last edited:
Thinking about getting back into the hobby after a long 12-year hiatus (long story). Prior to my departure, I had a 300g SPS in-wall reef (link below) that I very much miss. Unfortunately, this go-around, I'm looking at a much more modest build due to limited space. I am thinking a 40g breeder or a similar sized all-in-one design. I'm still an equipment junkie so don't need turnkey but like the finished look of the pricier all-in-one setups (any recommendations?). In the meantime, I'm sure a lot has changed. When I shut my old tank down, LED lighting was in its infancy so looking for a decent tutorial on LED lighting. Also, what about protein skimmers? Are people still using them a lot. I'm thinking that this will largely determine whether I go with a sump or not.

EDIT:

Will continue to research but so far, here is what I think I'm going to go with:

My old build:

i went to a local fish store for the first time in about 5 years...my jaw dropped at the fish prices....a foxface was $150....cleaner wrasse $50, six-line wrasse $60...omg...rethinking getting back into this...

Back