300g tank build

Looking at purchasing a protein skimmer.

I honestly haven't been big fans of these in the past. If I understand their purpose is really to remove organic material to decrease nitrate and slow algae growth. If I am able to control algae with chaeto in my sump do you guys think a protein skimmer offers any additional benefits?

Looking at purchasing a protein skimmer.

I honestly haven't been big fans of these in the past. If I understand their purpose is really to remove organic material to decrease nitrate and slow algae growth. If I am able to control algae with chaeto in my sump do you guys think a protein skimmer offers any additional benefits?

You might get better visibility starting a new thread (topic) for this question. I'm like you. I used one in the past but I don't think I will use one on my current tank.

Had some buddies over a few days ago. We decided to shim up the stand, fill in gaps with silicone calking. Tank is level now.
IMG_9620.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
IMG_9622.jpg
IMG_9621.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9627.jpg
    IMG_9627.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9624.jpg
    IMG_9624.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Trying to decide if I should
1- cut the tops off the screws. The metal is clued down
2- Paint the screws dark
3- remove the screws and fill in the hole with ???

Trying to decide if I should
1- cut the tops off the screws. The metal is clued down
2- Paint the screws dark
3- remove the screws and fill in the hole with ???

I love the steel. The completed look for me would actually be an oldschool round top rivet in the same raw steel colour. A round or truss head screw would be the next best and that option I might paint black to hide any screwdriver marks.

Purchased plumbing supplies online at Savko. Couldn't find flexible PVC or plastic gate valves anywhere here in Alaska. Shipping to Alaska was not offered by multiple online sites, one company wanted $160 to ship $180 worth of plumbing. So I resorted to shipping to my parent's in the lower 48 and having it brought up here when I go visit next in April. There certainly are some drawbacks to living in Alaska.

Purchased plumbing supplies online at Savko. Couldn't find flexible PVC or plastic gate valves anywhere here in Alaska. Shipping to Alaska was not offered by multiple online sites, one company wanted $160 to ship $180 worth of plumbing. So I resorted to shipping to my parent's in the lower 48 and having it brought up here when I go visit next in April. There certainly are some drawbacks to living in Alaska.

Amazon doesn't ship to Alaska? (it's where I got my pvc gatevalve). And hot tub/ pool suppliers are the place to get spaflex.

Probably start working on my lights while I wait for plumbing to arrive. I called the Spa stores here in Anchorage. I guess nobody repairs spas up here? Found someone driving up from the lower 48 to Alaska. Fingers crossed they will have room to bring up my plumbing.

Back