300g tank build

Worked on the sump today. First removed all the equipment (lights, calcium reactor, circulation pump). There were a few corals growing in it and chaeto.

IMG_0996.jpg

I chose the Iwaki MD100RLT for its head pressure and durability. But man this thing is loud! I was able to use a submersible pump to pump water into the Iwaki pump and empty my sump into the above tank.

IMG_1364 (1).jpg

The Iwaki pump was then attached to my sump through the predrilled hole.
IMG_1365 (1).jpg

As you can see I share the basement with my kids lego area. Don't mind the mess. It will get cleaned up once this project is done.

Looking at purchasing a protein skimmer.

I honestly haven't been big fans of these in the past. If I understand their purpose is really to remove organic material to decrease nitrate and slow algae growth. If I am able to control algae with chaeto in my sump do you guys think a protein skimmer offers any additional benefits?
IMO, it isn't absolutely necessary. However, I choose to run one 24\7\365 as it pulls out so much from my water, helps keep it very clear and helps stabilize pH. I think YMMV with your setup. My tank also uses an algae turf scrubber. I'm heavy in and heavy out with an Acropora dominant tank. You will need a fairly robust protein skimmer for your setup. You can always allocate for one and add later, if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I likely will get one. It does seem that everyone who has a great tank uses a protein skimmer.

The sound of the iwaki pump is so load that I have decided to go another route. Purchased a used abyss a400. Shipping out of Colorado

I also purchased a used octo 5000. Shipping out of Florida.

Both should be coming shortly.

Worked on the sump and finished it off, once skimmer arrives.

IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
The 6 gallon bucket will be filled with ceramic media blocks for added filtration

Here is the cheat that I have kept alive for the last 6 months.

IMG_1478.jpeg

Now you can see the 6 gallon bucket is filled with ceramic media, and live rock. Cheat is next to it. It has a small light on it. I have tried red light but this works best.

I have a Jeboa DCT 4000 pumping water to my calcium reactor. A GEOreef nano, which I will have to upgrade once corals start to grow, and 2 UV lights. A 57w and a 25W.

The output of the UV light runs through an algae scrubber, DIY.

I made a divider to keep Chaeto and algae out of my pumps and return pump. Not sure I like it. May have to try something different.
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1484.jpg

Tank has been running for a couple of days and is starting to get brown algae. Will plan to throw a few snails in there. I used to buy large clean up crews. But found they would eat all the algae and then die. So now I just buy a few of what I think I need and go from there.

Also plan to throw an order at BIOTA and get some captive bred fish. Tend to be. hardier and cleaner.
Looking at yellow tangs, anthias, majestic angel, coral beauty, and goby

I got four fish from another reefer.
2 chromis
1 tomini tang
1 yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp.
Been in his tank for 6months
What would your quarantine be.
I was thinking TTM for the fish and just toss the shrimp in the tank.

Well I went against my own plan and bought a clean up crew.
reeftopia had clean up crews for so cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Back