40 breeder build (pictures/queations/first saltwater tank)

The labels are misleading. Even the ones that say 100% silicone will have "mold protection". If you look up the MSDS, they are not truly 100% silicone at all.

Yeah, I was over simplifying it. They can be misleading. Most Silicone 1 can be used, some really good ones are listed in the how-to section (including the one I'm speaking of). The one I used is a cheap silicone 1 found in 2.8 once tubes in most hardware stores. The seam you can get with the smaller tube is very nice, and helps to not make a mess.

example on one of my tanks.

Keep up the great thread man, I'm following :D
My newest tank build is here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495662

Cheers
Tom

Nice build man! I'm going to order the CPR retrofit rs12 so it will fit over my 2 bulkheads, that way I don't have to drill another whole.

Yea I'm going with black aquarium silicone sealant. It's 15 dollars a tube but it'll be worth it. I'm just dreading the tear down of my sump. It's gunna take forever for me to make sure there's no leftover GE2 silicone

just realized the silicone I used for my sump is mildew resistant, so I am now taking it apart and starting over...if I hadn't seen this, would have been a major mistake

Isaacs,
After long nights researching I have concluded that I need to just safer then sorry with the silicone lol. I went and got a tube of clear marineland aquarium silicone from my LFS and re-sealed my overflow. Its not as easy to work with but, oh well its done now.
The DAP I used the first time says food grade on the tube but I still just didn't feel right about it after reading all the other posts. So many conflicting points.

Good choice man! It'll probably be easier to sleep at night. I actually had a dream that my tank was finished and I kept the same silicone on but then my tank inhabitants quickly died lol it was pretty bad lol having aquarium nightmares already lol
I actually just baught this silicone so when I get back from taking my son to disneyland it's gunna my first project lol

Alright so disneyland was awesome! My son loved it! He got to hang out with all the disney characters and had breakfast with them and everything! His favorite ride was the pirates of the caribean lol anyways so my first project I did when I got back was to replace all the silicone I used to seal my overflow and sump. Made a trip to home Depot and got a few things...including the safest silicone home depot sells lol

So as I was starting to take off my overflow, I was shocked to see that it came off wayyy to easily lol well that's because the silicone I used. And of course because regular silicone won't adhere to acrylic. I literally just pulled lightly and it came off

So then I started thinking we'll maybe I'll just make my own overflow box...but then I started thinking again....I wanted teeth in my overflow but I didn't want acrylic, I wanted it to be glass. So I got out my diamond whole saw and started drilling teeth in my glass overflow. Now I know that teeth on any overflow reduces the surface skimming but I wanted teeth to keep critters out of the overflow box without putting something over it. So this is what I came up with. I know people may have already thought about it or have even done it...but this is my version lol

Idk how reliable or how effective or not effective it will be...but if not then that's ok I can just replace it. But I will be testing it out tomorrow.i made it bigger to allow for more water flow into the box because it's not the same as a regular box.

Awe man Tom lol you have no idea how many times I had to start over lol check this out...

And that's just one piece lol that happened to me so many times I almost gave up! But good thing I had a ton of glass from the first 40 breeder that I cracked and took apart!

Awesome! I love DIY and perseverance. ;)

Keep it up. Took me 3 months of planning, building, rebuilding, tearing apart, redoing, etc. Patience will have its reward.

Back