40 Gal. Breeder plan, fish pictures

jmoney 402

Bought the stand and tank for $125, Odyssea T5 fixture with replacment bulbs(so 8 total, 4 at once) for $90, Aquaclear 110 and 50w heater for 60ish?

About 25# Caribsea sand white 25# black, 20# live rock from Premium Aquatics(10# Manado 10# Fiji).

Let the rock sit in the tank for a month, added blue damsel for a week and took it back to LFS. Bought a Scooter Blenny "Rufus"(only thing with a name so far), Royal Gramma, both from LFS.

Bought a CUC from ReefCleaners- 20 Ceriths; 10 Dwarf ten Florida, but recieved probably 25+ Dwarf, 10 Nerites, 10 Nassarius, also have 5+ hermits, 1 Emerald Crab, 1 Fire Shrimp, 3 Peppermint Shrimp.

I bought a 20 Gal. Long tank from Petco 1$/Gal. in plan of a Sump,
*This is a down the road thing, any input?? on sump design, or where to buy overflow box and pumps for return, I have been looking at designs and reading, and looking at the eshopps overflow boxes, and rio pumps. I also plan on getting a Octopus Protien Skimmer like one on my friend's 75 gallon(30 Sump), do not know the exact model though.

Right now i am just running Chemipure elite and generic phos ban with the filter sponge, doing weekly water changes, and dosing Purple Up.

I have been reading up on 2 part Calcium/Alk solutions, and Iodide, and other suppliments but have been overwhelmed with different brands having differnet elements and different brands that are better so any input here as well would be greatly appreciated!

I plan on adding coral soon, after testing water, starting with some Mushrooms, Xenia's, Ricordia/Mushrooms, Zoas/Palys, and eventually work up to Acans, Euphyllias, Wellsos then go from there.

Really this just a general welcome for input, with some picture of my fish

Attachments

• Scooter Blenny.jpg
    Scooter Blenny.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Royal Gramma Scooter.jpg
    Royal Gramma Scooter.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Royal Gramma 2.jpg
    Royal Gramma 2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Royal Gramma 1.jpg
    Royal Gramma 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Royal Gramma 6.jpg
    Royal Gramma 6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
pictures of my Green Clown Goby i have in a 8 Gallon.
thoughts on me adding it to the 40b tank?

Attachments

• GCG1.jpg
    GCG1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
How long has this tank been up total? What are your tests like?

For a sump, get 2 pieces of glass cut from a glass shop, buy GE Silicon I from HD or Lowe's and separate the baffles to leave enough room for skimmer, fuge, and return pump. I used tape to hold the baffles while I applied the silicone and for it to dry/cure for a couple days.

How long has this tank been up total? What are your tests like?

For a sump, get 2 pieces of glass cut from a glass shop, buy GE Silicon I from HD or Lowe's and separate the baffles to leave enough room for skimmer, fuge, and return pump. I used tape to hold the baffles while I applied the silicone and for it to dry/cure for a couple days.

The water and sand have been in there for over 2 months, live rock about a month and a half.

So if my overflow drains on left side of sump do i want to have enough room in that first chamber for the skimmer, then baffles to second chamber-fuge, third chamber- return?

I have read how some people put the fuge on the far right and return center but do not understand how this would work or if there are advantages?

You definitely want to research your skimmer on the minimum water level and keep it at that level constantly by making that first baffle at that height. Make the 2nd baffle about an inch shorter so you have a short waterfall effect to each chamber. So yes, skimmer-fuge-return.

You can do return in the middle and fuge on the right. You would need to T off the return line to supply water to the fuge. You will want to make both baffles the same height or make the right baffle higher if you go this route.

No problem adding the green clown goby to the tank. I have one in my 40b and nobody bothers it.

You definitely want to research your skimmer on the minimum water level and keep it at that level constantly by making that first baffle at that height. Make the 2nd baffle about an inch shorter so you have a short waterfall effect to each chamber. So yes, skimmer-fuge-return.

You can do return in the middle and fuge on the right. You would need to T off the return line to supply water to the fuge. You will want to make both baffles the same height or make the right baffle higher if you go this route.

Thank you for the input, now i just have to figure out how to setup some kind of rack or way of running media.

I am looking into buying eshopps pf800 overflow box of a guy from craigslist.
Then i need to get a pump, was looking at the Rio 2100. I dont know the exact height it would have to run but i would say under 4 and a half feet.
Opinions on the Rio 2100?

Back