480gl elos braceless earthquake trap

tylorarm

Premium Member
I promised Jesse at ELOS I would post a picture or two a couple months ago, better late than never. New tank will replace 125gl in same room that has broken top brace. Once I finally get the 480gl up and running i'll get rid of the 125gl. I'm on a snails pace is an understatement. Adding to the excitement though is the fact that I'm pretty close to the Hayward fault, keep those fingers crossed. I've never uploaded pic's before so let's see if this works:

Pre-water

P1010604.jpg

Post water

IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd109/tylorarm/P1010621.jpg[/IMG]

Took me a while to find someone to lug a 1,300lbs empty glass aquarium. Thanks to Crown Relocations:

P1010597.jpg

P1010597.jpg

Stand sits on 1.125" plywood. Under the floor in crawl space is bracing designed by structural engineer that is comprised of two 6" posts into 2'x2' concrete bases with microlam beem in between.

wow, amazing looking tank. Didn't even realize that ELOS made custom tanks at this point. What are the actual dimensions on that bad boy?

Yes, they do custom work but don't play it up. Tank is 84"x48"x28". Glass is 4 sides starfire (or Elos equivalent) with 19mm sides and 38mm bottom (about 1.5" thick bottom).

A little tough to tell from the picture but the glass is amazingly clear. When empty you could look out through the back window and hardly tell you were looking through 2 x 19mm glass panels.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11121070#post11121070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tylorarm
Worst case scenario is 2" deep 25' x 15' shallow tank

:lol:

Whats the small black boxes inside the tank?

Those are closed loop boxes. For some reason Elos was reluctant to drill the bottom but had no problem building their dry overflows. So, i asked them to build a couple dry overflow boxes in the middle to house my closed loop returns. All the closed loop intakes are on the bigger overflow boxes on the narrow sides, and protected by grills. I have 2 darts and 1 RD 82M3 for closed loops. The RD is split and part goes through 114w Aqua UV. I had a tarpon where the RD is but it was too noisy for the wife.

Awesome !!!
Jesse had mentioned this tank in a conversation....nice to finally see pictures of it ;)
good luck on your build :thumbsup

Thanks, i could use some luck. I've been spending too much of my very limited time on existing tank fighting all sorts of demons. I've gone from overcrowded 125gl sps dominated tank to sps free over the past summer. Certainly had monti nudi's, not sure on the AEFW, where my acros just went STN one at a time sort of like Kip's tank. i think it was more like a host of other issues rather than AEFW though, as i could never find any of the little buggers. Gave up and pulled all sps in late August. Looking forward to a fresh start, although that wasn't the plan.

Wow! This is the biggest Elos tank I have ever seen on RC. :eek1: Congrats on the beautiful tank and I hope your corals do better this time around. :) Subscribed...

Just got word from Jesse that they have one 10.5' in his warehouse. I hope they've got a fork lift cause mine was weighed by Crown at 1300lbs.

Back