480gl elos braceless earthquake trap

Personally, I would be perfectly content with yours! I love the 48" depth on your tank. That should provide a lot of possibilities when it comes time to aquascape.

BTW, what kind of lighting fixture is it and what kind of bulbs will you be running?

Many thanks to all the RC contributors, so many ideas picked up from so many sources difficult to give credit to them all. Something borrowed from pretty much everyone in my build to date (luckily no copyrights). Steve Weast's tank blew me away and was inspiring (but no proper spot for an inwall), all the great builds documented here including the Texas trio & now quad (Makoj, Naka, invincible and now Dudester), StLouisguy, Leonardo, bbrantley, goodwin9, jnarowe, ssparks, mflame, nyvp and so many others. Never mention the hundreds of highly useful threads on coral care, plumbing and all the other facets of this hobby.

Lighting fixture is Giesemann Specta 3x 400w MH and 4x 80w T5 alla Invincible's, although my wife actually picked out the fixture against alternative 400w choices of sfiligoi (filger) and luminarcs (my favored by veto'd pick). I'd have gone with Elos fixture but 400w'ers weren't out yet. I'll be running two 400w 14.5k giesemman coral bulbs with a 10k reflux in middle, and one Giesemann super actinic and one ATI blue plus 80w T5 on each side.

Lights:

P1010615.jpg

Another pic of the lights (note they're hung higher than will be once the tank is going when they'll be much closer to the water).

P1010616.jpg

Sweet fixture! I thought it looked familiar. :) I have a 48" Spectra running 2)250W Giesemann 14.5K coral bulbs with 4) 54W Giesemann actinic plus bulbs. To my eyes, it provides a nice white look with a tinge of blue to it.

Slovan; Ah, i didn't notice you also have the spectra, and an elso tank. I didn't notice your thread, but will certainly read it now. Maybe if i had i'd have gotten an KZ skimmer. Too late for that now...

Slovan; your old 210gl aquascaping is similar to what i plan to do, two islands over the overflow boxes.

I never did see what kind of skimmer you're going to run. I'm assuming it has to be super quiet since your wife doesn't like the noise from the Tarpon pump? BK?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11122138#post11122138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tylorarm
Slovan; your old 210gl aquascaping is similar to what i plan to do, two islands over the overflow boxes.
I hope you can make yours look better since you have double the width I had to work with. :)

Skimmer is in the 'new' sump room in the basement, about 50ft from the living room. I had a H&S A300 on order for ever but finally lost patience and bought a BK400ext. Sump room is really noisey right now even without the skimmer running (i don't really have anything to skim right now), but doesn't matter. Sump room also has 50gl frag and 75gl refugium, and garage has two 165gl cisterns, one FW and one online (fed off manifold and gravity flows back to sump). The cisterns add volume and automate W/Cs, which i hate. My previous setup the sump was in a shed outside the living room wall.

Oh, and the Tarpon was defective, you could hear it throughout the house. PA is giving me a full credit. It was 10x as loud as my Hammerhead that i use for the return, never mind the darts.

Here's a picture of BK400ext, well sort of. It's gravity fed from main return. You can also see manifold that feeds MRC fluidized reactors, Geo CA RX.

P1010650.jpg

Nice selection of equipment! Are you planning on putting any substrate in the tank? What about rock or livestock from the previous tank, any carryovers?

SSB for main display, DSB for refugium. SPS all dead, but I'll add some again and be more careful this time. You certainly added a nice SPS and Acan selection in a hurry, some of my favorites. In fact, i have many of their skeletal remains. I have a ton of zoas, live, mostly keepers but some that are ugly and out of control. I have a 12" fireworm that is a confirmed SPS eater, he will likely finally be vanquished in the near future, this time i mean it. I have a long-time hitch hiker crab, he's in the only rock in my new frag tank, he was in my 20gl current refugium. I still have my original clean up crew with large mex. turbos, astral, electric blue and scarlet hermits, and one emerald crab. Tons of baby snails, stomatella & others. They'll all be trasferred over. I plan on fresh water dipping rocks with zoas, and cleaning or cooking most of the rest. New Marcos rock just arrived today. Current fish are tangs; Duss, Chevron & Purple, Harlequin Tusk, Arabian Dotty, Marine Betta, Majestic Rabbit (confirmed SPS nibbler), Flame Hawk, all will be moved to new tank when ready. I'm not sure if I'll add some others prior, because current inhabitants are not new joiner friendly.

Thanks Bogg, just getting started i suppose although i've been going at it in pieces since I ordered the tank in May.

Boozeman, thanks, I'll definitely go to you for help when i actually get the BK running. Not much in the way of operating instructions.

Wow, you have the grand daddy of all elos tanks! Very nice! I was wondering what that little device is on the end of the water return nozzle?

Back