50G tank questions...

yeloyoshi

i just bought a 50G tank with the dimensions 36-15-20(i think)with a 20g sump... what is a good size return pump for it?? something thats not too expensive and runs externally...

question2... is my aqua c urchin a good enough skimmer for this size tank??

question3... i'm thinking about gettig a phoenix 14k bulb for my 250de... do yoiu think i would need actinics?? if no anyone wanna buy my t5HO 24" x4 with brand new bulbs...

tia

yeloyoshi

Aqua c urchin is fine but if you can fit a asm g1 I'd go with that for about the same price. I run 14k 250watt phoenix and I like the color as is, I'd rather save the electricity for something else.

As for the return I like slow return pump. A strong return makes too much notice in the over flow. I have only about 300gall at head on my 90 and people are always commenting how quite my system is. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢d rather go with power heads or a close loop for the main flow.

i have a mag5 right now... would that be enough?? i want something quiet... i already have an aqua c urchin so no need to buy another one... not planning to go sps quiet yet... but how would you guys plumb the closed loop... it's acrylic so i can drill holes but i dont trust myself...

That is the setup I have - A 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I use a 250 watt 14k pheonix light. I also have a Remora aqua C skimmer and it seems to do OK (rated for up to 75 gallon tank). I have a mag 9 (internal) return - which makes the overflow a little loud. If you use a mag 5 for your return and have a closed loop for circulation - I think you would be good.

that is what i wanted to hear... ok now i just need to know what pump to use for the closed loop and any info on how to set one up...

I just took off a quiet one 3000, to much flow, and put in a via aqua 2300. I have a T in the line that feeds a small line to the fuge. The main line is 1 1/4 pvc to 3/4 hose to a scwd. I figure i'm getting 350 to 400 gph through the tank and sump. It runs well with little noise and few bubbles. My next project is Melevs closed loop. This is a 55 gal.

Well, you could use bulkheads for intakes so that it/they are less visible, and you could put the outputs just about wherever you wanted. Call me whimpy, but drilling kinda scares me: we're talkin' about 400 lbs. of water depending on the integrity of the tank.

Back