55 gallon parts list assistance

teddyzaper

Hey guys! Super long time no see, like 5 years or something.

I've finally settled into a place and want to get back into the hobby. I have a 55 gallon tank with stand sitting in my living room right now, slowly collecting parts for it. Before i go about ordering things, i'd like some input on my parts list.

I'm mainly going for softies/lps and maybe some SPS near the top of the tank (not sure about that yet).

Things i'm pretty sure about:

WATTSHINE 180w LED light x2. (My LFS uses these on all their show tanks, and while cheaply constructed seem to put out a good amount of light.)

Octopus nwb 110 skimmer (already own it)

Koralia evolution 600GPH x2

BRS GFO/carbon reactor

Tunze osmolator ATO

eheim jager 250w heater

375gph return pump (sicce)

I believe that covers most basics in terms of hardware, but i would like some input on an overflow for the tank and also a sump. I may just go with a 20g under the tank without baffles as i do not want to do a fuge. Do you think just a simple 20g would be a good idea, or should i go for something like the eshopps RS-100 sump?

As for overflows, looking for something that is sleek in the tank. I like the look of the eshopps eclipse s and the modularmarine 1200gph low profile overflow, but they are both quite expensive and the modularmarine one seems much bigger than i need. Are there any other brands that have the low profile overflows? (tank has not been drilled yet)

Also, am I missing anything? I'm sure I am but its been so long i cant remember all i need. Thanks!

Only suggestion I have is to either get a controller for the heater or get two heaters that are half the wattage. Dual metal thermostats fail on more than they fail off. It is easier to avoid a fish fry if you have two lower powered heaters if one fails on. I bought an HMX-S heater with a built in digital controller and it keeps the water within +/- .1 degree. I know my evidence is purely anecdotal, but I'm impressed so far. It was also much cheaper than a separate controller. I also keep a brand new Jager on the shelf in case this heater ever fails. The HMXs are fairly new and I couldn't find many reviews on them so I wanted a back up plan.

Only suggestion I have is to either get a controller for the heater or get two heaters that are half the wattage. Dual metal thermostats fail on more than they fail off. It is easier to avoid a fish fry if you have two lower powered heaters if one fails on. I bought an HMX-S heater with a built in digital controller and it keeps the water within +/- .1 degree. I know my evidence is purely anecdotal, but I'm impressed so far. It was also much cheaper than a separate controller. I also keep a brand new Jager on the shelf in case this heater ever fails. The HMXs are fairly new and I couldn't find many reviews on them so I wanted a back up plan.

I do actually plan on having an aquarium controller for the tank, so i will be using a temp controller as well. Thanks!

Back