600 gallon Acrylic and Glass Reef Construction.

Thankyou, I really appreciate the comment.

I am actually in the process of stripping my tank down, it is so overgrown with corals that many of the lower pieces have died from lack of light. The large red plate is close to 24 inches across,

I have yet to decide what i want to do as regards a new aquascape, but once I do- I will begin to post again.

You've got your work cut out for you with all of that coral. :lmao: Be sure to snag some pics for everyone before you cut down that forrest. lol Let me know if you need a hand with aquascape.

Wow..... finished all your threads.... your journey of Reef keeping in so interesting..... amazing tank. Love the colors and growth..... :thumbsup:

sorry to hear that your stripping the tank, looked great

now i am in the middle of a build and thinking closed loop, seeing what you did was a great idea, now that you have ran it for a few years would you run the same setup or would you go a different route??????

my tank is going to be sps with a emporer angel and i know i need the flow for corals, i have a acrylic tank with a drain in the overflow and the two returns from the sump come up into the floor of the DT close to front glass, i am thinking over the top in the rear of the tank for my closed loop drawing and returning

Hi Paul,

What an amazing and fascinating and most of all BEAUTIFUL build you have documented in this thread... through to the end of its initial lifecycle it would seem. Good luck with the rebuild!

Having only recently stumbled upon this thread, and a) contemplating the use of a closed loop for my own upcoming build (210 - 250g); and b) thinking of trying to mimic tidal flows in my own tank, do you mind if I pose a few questions?

1) Why did you place your 4 holes at the top of your tank and then run pvc down into your tank to connect with your two loops? Why not lower to begin with? Was it for failsafe reasons in case there was a leak? Other reason?

2) What size pvc piping did you use on the loops?

3) What size intake holes to the pumps did you use? I notice that you only used one per pump. Any problem with suction? Most reefers seem to be recommending two inlets per loop to reduce suction.

4) Would you redo the racetrack cycle motion again? Myself, I'm thinking of incorporating such motion, but perhaps with a bit more oppositional flow mixed in... in other words, were I to do an 8 penductor loop as you have, perhaps I'd have 6 going in one direction and two in the other thereby maintaining the general direction of the flow by virtue of the 3 to 1 ratio, but perhaps allowing for a little bit more chaotic action as well. Do you think this would work? Or would it just destroy the racetrack effect?

Thanks for any feedback you could offer. Your tank is an inspiration. Truly.

Nick

Paul- Any updates? Would love to see how the rebuild has turned out and what is going on with your tank these days.

Side question- have you ever battled Ich in your DT or have you always quarantined?

Paul- Any updates? Would love to see how the rebuild has turned out and what is going on with your tank these days.

Side question- have you ever battled Ich in your DT or have you always quarantined?

It appears that he hasn't been on RC in almost a year!

Great video. What camera are you using in the tank?

I use both the GoPro Hero Black and a canon d10.
the canon is mostly used for the photographs.

The canon was used for the "rockwork" sequence. The rest of that video was done with the gopro.

First of all, Awesome tank. I am sure it is buried in the forum somewhere but if I can ask what you are using for flow and roughly how much turnover rate you have?

thanks

8 Jebao WP40. 2 reeflo hammerheads on a closed loop system.

Turnover approx 50,000gph- but you wouldnt think that looking at it.

Back