600 gallon Acrylic and Glass Reef Construction.

there are 2 closed loops built into the system.

both are functional, but only 1 runs at a time.

P.

Paul, great tank. Just found the thread. You did an excellent job of utilizing your aquascaping frame and them completely covering it up. You stated (over a year ago), that you used a combination of ties, epoxy and acrylic rods.

Can you explain in a little more detail on how you actually attach them? When I looked at the setup, you have a ton of rock layered very closely together in steps going up the frame. Are all of these attached to the frame? Do you only have a couple base rocks attached to the frame, and then the additional rocks attached to those rocks? I can't see the frame anywhere so you did an excellent job of covering that up. I would think that if all the rocks were attached to the frame, you could see some of the frame through the cracks.

Thanks. Paul

They are pretty much all attached to the frame. I use zip ties and drill the rock with a small masonary bit to make a set of holes for the zip ties to go through. It can be a slow process trying to exclude all of the visible pipe, but its not particularly difficult. Any smaller holes or gaps I wedged a small piece of LR into to hide the pipe.

Does that help?

P.

Perfect, thanks

Perfect, thanks

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I wasn't sure if anything was used other than that and small pieces to fill in the gaps.

Did you use the Epoxy to glue the pieces together in addition to the ties? I assume that would give additional stability.

I'm pulling together plans for a 120 build. I'm thinking closed loop system as well with similar framing.

Just snapped a few shots of my tank... thought I would share,

Paul.

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

Following from Argentina !!
Amazing tank !! Top notch.

Question ... are the b&w clowns hosting a h. crispa ?

Hi Vlado,

Yes it is H. crispa, or as its commonly called a sebae anemone.

The clowns spawn frequently, every 3 weeks it seems.

Paul.

Can I say I hate you??? Haha I finally had time to go through the entire thread, and my jaw hasn't left the counter. I mean, when I started with my 55 gallon (a month ago today), i only expected to keep it going for a couple of years then getting rid of it... Now, I want to have more tanks and bigger ones...urg lol. I only wish I could afford something bigger, but will one day ;). Awesome tank though!!

Great build thread.

I checked out your aquascaping articles before starting my reef build on my 800 gallon L-shaped tank.

I'm almost half way done. It's hard to visualize what it could look like a year or so from now after corals have filled in all the empty space. Right now it looks bare.

It helped seeing your progression pics, you're tank looks stunning.

Back