6000 versus 6100 make a case

playa

In Memoriam
So what really is the advantage of the 6100 ove rthe 6000?

Does it really make that much of a difference?
A friend has 2x6100 and runs them at 30% on a 180 then why buy the 6100 and you cant even use the full strength.

My reef is 180

Advice needed please, before I place the order.

Regards,

playa

I think the challenge many people face when buying these pumps is not having a clear idea of how powerful they are, or how the current residents of their tanks will respond to the new flow conditions when the pumps are installed and running.

If you had purchased a 6100 and, for whatever reason, only felt comfortable running it at 30%, you, probably, would have been better off buying a 6000. 30% flow rate on a 6100 is equivalent to about 50% flow on a 6000.

I have two tanks, both 6ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢x2ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢x2ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢. On one of the tanks, I run a 6000 at 30% to 100% at a 6 second interval, and it produces what I would consider to be a nice, ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œgentleââ"šÂ¬Ã‚, turbulent flow. With proper placement the pump, relative to where the coral are placed, itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s a good choice for my softie and LPS tank. However, I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised that the flow was as gentle as it was after reading some other peopleââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s experiences with Tunze Streams. For a 6ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢x2ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢x2ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ tank, I, almost, consider the 6000s to be too gentle if you want to keep SPSs that like brisk flow.

Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m looking forward to the arrival of a couple of 6100 pumps for the tank in which I intend to house SPSs. I also intend to run those pumps at 30% to 100%, but will only introduce corals into that tank that can handle to flow (now that I have a general idea of what to expect). Corals that prefer lower flow conditions will go into the tank with the 6000s.

They are great pumps, but for those of us who are thinking of buying them, itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s too bad we have so few opportunities to see them in action first. It would make the choice between going with a 6000, or a 6100, so much easier.

Back