6055 Nanostream "clicking" noise

jglackin

I have my controller setting for my 6055s set at 00/100. I get some incredible flow from this, but the pump makes a clicking noise from the starting and stopping. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my wife and likely bothers the fish. I need to keep them both happy. I have heard that this is a common issue. Has anything ben done to correct this?

No, 00/100. I was told that you can do 00/100 or 30/100, but nothing in between. Is this not accurate?

I just received two new pumps last night, will they have the new drive unit? How do I get the updated drive unit for the two I have had?

What controller are you using? Normally you would set two speeds between 30 and 100% and the pumps would pulse between them. The new drive unit would be black except the propeller blades. There will be a lot of drag if you try to spin the prop while holding the magnets. Speeds between 0-30% result in a lot of noise on any of our pumps as the coil is not energized enough to suspend the magnet.

The blades are all white but on the new drive unit the shaft it mounts on is black and it fits very tightly on the shaft so if you hold the magnet of the drive unit on one hand and push the blades with the other it should take a small effort to move them. On the old drive unit they will free spin until they hit a stop.

Roger,

I have the same clicking noise. Just inspected my 2 6055's and they have the white shafts. Is there an update for the shafts? If so, please advise.

They are controlled by my 7095 set at 30-100%.

Thanks.

I haven't asked. I assume that he is off enjoying his weekend.

I have these babies cranking right now. They are making a nice rocking wave action in the tank. The problem is that they are on a 1 second interval in my 60" tank, so the clicking sounds like a loud clock. It doesn't bother me in the least, I like the sound, it tells me that the waves are rocking and it has a soothing rythm to it. OK, well, that's the story I tried to sell to my wife. She's not buying it. She's irritated and wants it to stop.

Just PM me your name and address and the number of clicking pumps and we will send the two parts you need.

No, the click comes from two things, the prop free spinning until it hits the stop, this can break the prop over a period of time but we are sending a replacement that won't have this problem. The other cause is the coil energizing and pulling the magnet down so it clanks against the bottom of the pump. The only problem with this on and off use is calcium builds up in the pump much faster because when it is off the heat of the coil radiates out and the water within the pump is heated to a higher temp than it would be in normal operation, you will have to clean them more often. In general it is best to never turn them off.

Thanks. My issue is, without 00/100, I really cannot get much wave action going in my tank. I have a 60" tank that is 30"+ deep, I have 4 6055s and anything less than 00/100 just doesn't cut it. Even with that, I have a 6045 in the center that flows to the front of the glass for more flow.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need bigger pumps that provide more flow than the 6055?

They aren't really designed to create a wave, you would need a wavebox to create an actual wave. What size tank are you using them on, is this the 170?

Yes. It is a 170. 60" long, by about 36 inches deep, by about 24" wide. I have a 6055 in each corner, facing the opposite end, on a Aquasurf pulsing 1 second on, 1 second off at 00/100.

Yeah, to really get a wave you are going to need stronger pumps, the 6055 just does not move enough water to do that. They are more of a flow pump. A wave is not a good sole source of flow though, it looks neat and gets flows to remote areas but it is a directionless flow that needs to be supplemented by a directional current.

I would use the 6055's but pulsing between 30-100% and just for linear flow, for a wave, I have no experience with the controller you are using, I would ask the manufacturer what they recommend but I would suspect at a minimum 2 6101 or a wavebox would be required.

Back