75g FOWLR tank.

slave-of-rock

I am looking to set up my 75g back to salt. I am thinking about what I would like to do for this tank, but I have no idea what I want. Any and all suggestions appriciated. Thanks in advanced (oh name any and all fish that you think would work well in a 75g tank together, I don't want to upgrade again in the future).
-Kyle Kaz

well since you have a bigger reef tank I'd make your 75gl a aggressive tank so you can have more of a variety of fish like a dwarf lion, snowflake eel, toadfish, some different types of wrasses have lots of color and are'nt to aggressive.

I have a 75 gal with dwarf angels. 1- bicolor angel 1 - flame angel

1-marron gold stripe clown

1- Ornate wrasse Halichoeres ornatissimus

1- Auriga (threadfin) butterfly

1 raccoon butterfly

With no probs.

I already have a nice varity of fish in my 90g. Leaf fish, snowflake moray, yellow tang, bristle tooth tang, molly miller, soldier fish, tomato clown and clarki clown. I have had all of these fish in my tank for at least a year, except for the leaf which was my final addition 2 sundays ago. I was thinking about an agressive tank tho.

Hard to do an agressive tank with a 75 gal. Will need to upgrade eventually or will be trading fish.

I have a Pork puffer, a powder blue tang, a marron gold strip clown and a lunare wrasse in my 90 gal. All getting of size and time to upgrade.

So we are planning either a 150 gal or a 155 gal Bow Aga tank.

Bow would be great may have to hold out an extra month for that one,

yeah, most aggressive fish grow up to need 150 gallon + tanks -- just do a nice communtiy tank w/ color. I like lions, panther groupers, and marine bettas too -but they are kind of a pain to keep compared to a nice tank with
royal gramma, purple or neon pseudochromis, royal gramma, potters or other dwarf angel --some kind of wrasse--
you have more varitey to choose from

my lion tank --you have to wean the lions on to dead -then make sure everyone is eating--they have to have a variety of food or they'll eventually die---the other tank, just throw in some flakes and algae-change the water , empty out the skimmer --no problems

You could make it a "trigger" tank with one main triggerfish as the centerpiece, such as a bluethroat, a pinktail, or a huma. Then throw some colorful damsels or other medium small aggressive suckers in there to fill any voids.

a humu would be a bad choice being its an open water swimmer. an undulated trigger could live in there with a flame angel or some dwarf angels, some small wrasse of some sort, and a monster eel. you could load some damsels in there to for some added color. i have multiple triggers with damsels and have never seen in aggression, just add the smaller fish first... it makes all the difference.

yeah and you have had your tank for 1yr or less, generally triggers will play nicely with others until they reach sexual maturity, and then they become really nasty, all triggers live off the reef as juveniles, and then progress to open water when they get bigger. the undulated is a really bad idea, they are definately one if not THE most agressive trigger out ther excluding the titan, i would personally go with a blue jaw, blue line, niger, or pink tail if you are wanting to keep a trigger.

I think most of those triggers will outgrow that tank, and he said he didn't want to upgrade. I think you could keep an undulated trigger in there for life, but that would pretty much be it, not only due to its size, but its temperament.

When you say you want an "aggressive" tank, what do you mean? Do you have a centerpiece fish you really want? Most people would consider your current tank to be aggressive :) (with the "leaf fish, snowflake moray, yellow tang, bristle tooth tang, molly miller, soldier fish, tomato clown and clarki clown".)

Some fish that I consider somewhat aggressive that you could keep in the 75 include:

wolf eel blenny (one of my favorite fish for unique, odd looks and engaging personality)

dwarf lionfish, especially the fuzzy dwarf

sharpnose puffers (tobies) - they can be fin nippers, but will not outgrow your tank and come in a variety of nice colors and patterns

dwarf angels

waspfish - you already have leaf fish, which I love. I have longspine waspfish too. they are a little more active, and have interesting behaviors. there are also many oddball small scorpionfish you could keep, but you have to look for them.

angler - peaceful in a way, but a fish and shrimp eating machine. anglers are the coolest fish around, IMO. you could get a commersonii, which gets football sized, and make it a species tank.

toadfish - I have an orange toadfish in a tank by itself at work. it is a voracious predator, but you can keep it with other fish as long as they don't fit in its mouth. I had mine with my waspfish for a while and they didn't have problems. the toadfish will swallow live fiddler crabs whole.

you couldn't mix all these fish, there are definitely compatibility issues to consider. but these are some smaller predators to think about.

If you do make the mistake of getting an Undulate

If you do make the mistake of getting an Undulate

If you do make the mistake of getting an Undulate... dispite what others say... they do and will kill everything, which to some people is cool. If you get one try to get two... a male and a female that way you wont have this massive tank with people asking you what the hell is in it.
I would aslo avoid lots and lots of live rock... to many places for the trigger to hide... I have a 4 year old female undulate which I picked because the coloring is better and there are stripes on the entire body. She hides a lot, which stinks... but feeding time the thing is a machine.
I have pics of mine in my gallery... I also have pics of the tank before the trigger killed everything. ( domino damsel, blue damsel, clarks clown, tomatoe clown, feather dusters, a giant clam, sea urchin, and every snail and crab in the tank )
Now I have a wonderful arrangment of live rock and a awesome killing machine.

I talked to the owner of my LFS yesterday and he suggested 2 blue spotted rays, he said he could get small ones that I would be able to keep in my tank for a couple years, then he would buy them back from me for his pond. Would you guys agree with that idea? I would have minimal rock in the tank, and my filtration would be a 40g rubbermaid refugium. Any input on this idea would be great, thanks.

Slave-of-rock, do really want to get rid of those rays after 2 years? Wouldn't you get attached?

How about this:

1 x Arc Eye Hawkfish (6" max.)

1 x Bluefin Angelfish (6" max.)

1 x Antennata Lionfish (7" max.)

1 x Maroon Clownfish (6 " max.)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6499403#post6499403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Greg129
Slave-of-rock, do really want to get rid of those rays after 2 years? Wouldn't you get attached?

How about this:

1 x Arc Eye Hawkfish (6" max.)

1 x Bluefin Angelfish (6" max.)

1 x Antennata Lionfish (7" max.)

1 x Maroon Clownfish (6 " max.)
After two years I will be moving out of my parents house and going to a big university anyway. For now I am staying at home going to a community college. Im a sr now in high school so after 2 1/2 or so years I will need to get rid of my 90g also, which I am also attached to. So no matter what I get they will be gone in time.

jcopp I would say owning an Undulate is not a mistake! You just have to know what you're getting,which is a very agressive trigger that generally isn't compatible with anything. I said 1 fish for the entire 75 which would be an Undy was my suggestion.Yes they are shy and generally over time they do warm up to the hand that feeds them. One nice aquascaped cave with 2 entrances is ideal,so you have some sight of Undy. A large Red-Starry would be the only invert that could survive with the possibility of being lunch.Who cares what company think of your tank, if you like it,know whats in it,and appreciate the attitude,look and behaviour of the Orange-lined Triggerfish.Did you research about the Undulated Trigger before putting it in a 40GL tank with other fish,clean-up crew,"Urchins",clams,dusters etc.? I know when this is read you might think I'm attacking you but in no way is this delivered in a negative or hostile way.Slave of rock if you go with the Undy save your money on a clean-up crew,and do it yourself!

I am going with the blue spotted ray. I started cycling the tank 2day with some LR in the refugium and LS from my 90g tank. Thanks for the idea guys.
-Kyle Kaz

That was the problem... I didnt know sites like this existed, and was still under the thoughts that the guy at the pet store knew what he was talking about.
So I didnt not know the devastation that was going to be at hand. :) Now that I understand him I love everything about him... kinda like taking in a PitBull... it helps to know what the hell you are getting into before you get your first one... then after that you'll never own anything else.

Back