90 gallon build with basement fish room.

Diamond Dave

Hello all. Starting a reef build and would love some input on the design. Recently acquired the display tank and decided to put all the filtration in the basement. The tank is a 90 gallon oceanic tech tank. Stalked Craig's list for months and finally found one, really needed the straphire glass.

The tank was missing some plumbing so I've decided to add all new. was hoping a bean animal would fit in the existing overflow box. Anyone out there modified their oceanic tank? So first noob question, all four holes are sized for one inch bulk heads, if I upsized the pipe to inch and a half (for future larger tank swap out) would I have flow issues? So would be two 1 1/2" drains and one 1 1/2 return split to two 3/4. Any advice appreciated will post pics soon.

Last edited:
Basement cleared out where fish room will be located.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1
Is it a standard Reef Ready tank, or all the holes drilled in the bottom, by the picture I'm gessing yes? If so use a herbie, if they are on the side give us your overflow dimensions to answer the initial question.

Changing pipe size won't make any difference go with 1.5" if you want, generally when people swap out tanks they don't use the same pipes so I'd just keep with 1" but it's not important just a bit cheaper and you won't close off your gate valve so much with 1".

The overflow inside dimensions are 4 x 17.5. The pairs of holes center points are 3.75 and they are 6 inches. Ordered the ro unit and bulkheads today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
Welcome, its an awesome adventure and you'll probably want to jump right in - In order to give you design input we need more information - Are you new to reef keeping? What type of tank do you want sps, softies, lps? The type will help guide you on equipment you'll want to run and costs. Their is so much to consider that it would be helpful if you tell us your level of experience, type of tank, how far the tank is from the sump, etc. A softie tank is less demanding thus requiring less equipment and maintenance whereas a SPS tank will require lots more - and most of all you budget.

Things you should consider for the pump room regardless of type of tank.

-multiple dedicated electrical curcuits with arc fault protection at panel and gfci outlets in room and DT.
-Room ventilation- fresh air fans, exhaust - pump rooms get humid
-PLumbing drainage for water changes and water supply for RO unit
- Pump Room Lighting
- Work station

System:
-Auto water change system, or an easy valve system to avoid bucket bergade
- RO unit - with mixing station
- If the pump room is in the basement figure out the vertical and horizontal distance to determine the pump size - May want to use an external pump with the 1.5" pipe as suggested and than reduce it at the tank to help head loss.
- Return manifolds
- Isolation valves & unions
- If you are using an apex (or other) controller - consider the wiring, devices, floats, etc. needed at both the DT and pump room.
- large sump at least a 30 gal for that size tank
- best skimmer you can afford
- ATO system
- may need a chiller unit depending on home and location

Depending on type of reef you may consider a:
fuge, lighting, Calcium and Alk supply, Carbon & GFO reactors, Powerheads for water movement in DT

Not sure your knowledge of reefing there's lots to consider.......

-

Had a good week of progress on the "tank" this week. Surface grinded the floors to prep for epoxy. Also did some exterior grading to fix water leaks. Next week I will be putting down a high solids epoxy and painting the walls with drylok. Then it's electrical, plumbing, framing....then fish at some point. Been thinking of finishing a larger space than originally planned. Working on a rough plumbing system plan. Thanks to seagals for the list of fish room ideas. More to come soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1
Finished the epoxy floor. And got on waiting list for lifereef. Going to work on electrical and plumbing next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Cyber Monday was good to me. Starting this back up. Got some pukani from bra. Wanted to finish aqua scape so I can start curing to remove phosphates. Was looking at concrete options to make it all one piece. Going with minimalist design. Was thinking I could cure the concrete same time as the rock. Can I safely use hydraulic cement or shid I just use Portland ? Also, do you think I should muratic acid bath after concrete or before? Would muratic acid soak weaken the concrete? Appreciate any info wanted to do this tomorrow.

What was the epoxy you used on the floor and what was your process/how would you describe the difficulty level? I keep threatening to take up the ugly tile and epoxy my basement floor.

What are you planning for a return pump? I'm planning out a similar deal. Going to use one of the 75s I've never found a use for and move it into my office. Think I'm going to toss a stock tank in the fish room for the sump. That should give me a ridiculous amount of room for a fuge and deep sand bed. Can't decide what I'm going to do for a return pump yet. Dealing with that much head height is a new one for me.

I used sherwin Williams hs 1000. Was difficult, took me a whole week. The return pump will be determined in the sump design stage. Looking for advice on glueing rocks together.

I would soak them before binding them together. If for no other reason than you'll need less to soak them in and it'll be easier to move pieces around than dealing with huge clumps.

That said I've never used concrete to bind rock work. I've always worked with really small tanks in the past, and just used the little putty epoxy tubes. Wouldn't be very economical in a larger system though.

Decided to take out the overflow box and replace it. Here it is on the operating table.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1
Removed a strip of the plastic overflow to reveal the seams in the glass. Used sonic tool on low so it didn't melt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
Back