90 Gallon tank build first timer

hobbby3

Reef Junkie
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve and first let me just say I'm already addicted to reefing, and I have yet to make one ounce of saltwater. It all started when I received a 10 gallon fresh water setup from a friend I thought my 11 year old son would enjoy. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, ok I admit I enjoyed it more than my son, but after getting the little tank all setup it left a little to be desired. At the LFS they have a 120 gallon reef tank that stole our attention each time we visited. Dun dun dun"¦!

I spent the better part of the last couple months reading these boards and visiting the 3 LFS around town for options. I gathered a bunch of quotes and discovered it was going to cost an arm and a leg to get started with new gear, anywhere between 2k - 5k depending on equipment variables. So I hit craigslist in search of a deal and found a few.

$160
  • 90 gallon salt water tank and Stand
  • Single overflow
  • 30 gallon long sump
  • Return pump
Here it is in my basement after I cleaned it doing a leak test.
IMG-20120215-00035.jpg

$60
  • Skimmer (looks to be homemade) I bought it from the LFS and they let me try it before the purchase it made lots of little bubbles

$75
  • 2 175 watt MH w/ballast and used bulbs said 3mths
  • 2 VHO fixtures w/icecap ballast
  • 5 extra VHO bulbs to play with color variations also 3mths usage
I constructed a hood to mount the lighting system since the craigs list stand didn't come with one.
IMG-20120318-00227.jpg

IMG-20120318-00228.jpg

The sump will be getting a plumbing overhaul. The previous owner used rubber hose and I want to use PVC similar to this.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144886

I think I'll make the drain a long 45 degree angle slope to the right and have the return pump on the left to try and quiet down the overflow drain noise. Similar but opposite lol.

IMG-20120318-00181.jpg

IMG-20120318-00184.jpg

IMG-20120318-00183.jpg

Right now I'm finishing up construction of the hood and giving it a final sanding and coat of paint.
The room the tank is going in is being painted to match the reef tank (wife's request).
Salem-20120311-00146.jpg

Salem-20120311-00151.jpg

Salem-20120316-00154.jpg

Salem-20120316-00158.jpg

This is the rest of the list for construction and purchase. Please feel free to give any feedback or concerns you see about my setup.

Parts list to complete stand and tank hardware

• Sheetrock corners $2
  • Sheetrock texture $13
  • Slate gray paint interior paint $26
  • Reflective sheet under lighting $10
  • Halide reflector/heat shield hood $5
  • Plumbing for return and skimmer $20
  • regulation valve for return pump
  • return pump outlet tee and nozzle $15
  • 2 power heads for flow $70
  • 1 Wave controller $149
  • 30' pump garden hose no metal $20
  • Perform tank leak test and final cleaning
  • For Plenum Plastic egg crate $7
  • For Plenum ½ inch pvc pipe cut into 3 inch pieces $5
  • For Plenum Fiberglass screen $5
  • Ground the tank
  • Salinity tester
  • Phosphate tester
  • Calcium tester
  • Alkalinity tester
  • Ammonia tester
  • Nitrite tester
  • Nitrate tester
  • Dead Rock 50lbs from Reef rocks $135 Pinnacle design and sand
  • Live Rock Tampa bay salt water "œThe Package" 20 lbs live. rock and 10 lbs sand & critters $155

Tank start up procedure

• Just before securing the live rock and sand
  • Fill 2 can(s) with RO/DI
  • Mix both with salt to 1.025
  • Use heater and power head in 1 can
  • Heat and let mix to ~76-82 degrees 1-2 days
  • Put live rock in can(s) for a few days to cure if necessary
  • Install plenum
  • Rinse sand and live sand w/ clean saltwater
  • Aquascape dead rock on the plenum then add sand
  • Add Live rock and Live sand
  • Fill display tank enough to cover live rock with all the clean salt water
  • Keep tank water 76-82 degrees install power heads

It looks like a nice set up and it has lots of potential.

My only points of concern are just the unknowns such as.

Does the sump have a bubble trap to keep the skimmer bubbles from being circulated back to the DT?

Are you planning to run a Refugium in the sump?

What types of livestock are you planning for the DT?

What is the big black box in the bottom right corner of the stand?

I would adjust the temp to 78 to 85

For heat I would use a temp controller or a tank controller with the total heat output required spread between a couple of heaters. I like one heater in the DT and one in the sump. Cheap heater failure results in lots of tank crashes. It's an easy thing to avoid.

How much turnover thru the sump will you be getting after the headloss is taken into account and how much flow do you expect in the DT from all sources?

Does the sump have a bubble trap to keep the skimmer bubbles from being circulated back to the DT?

Are you planning to run a Refugium in the sump?

What types of livestock are you planning for the DT?

What is the big black box in the bottom right corner of the stand?

I would adjust the temp to 78 to 85

For heat I would use a temp controller or a tank controller with the total heat output required spread between a couple of heaters. I like one heater in the DT and one in the sump. Cheap heater failure results in lots of tank crashes. It's an easy thing to avoid.

How much turnover thru the sump will you be getting after the headloss is taken into account and how much flow do you expect in the DT from all sources?

Great questions Playa some of which I don't have an answer for yet.

I don't plan on using a bubble trap in the sump. I may regret it but it's an easy addon down the road should I decide I need it. The theory I subscribe to is those dividers create unnecesary dead spots in the sump. I know I'm probably in the minorty on this based on reading I've done here.

The sump will be clear of everything except a few clumps of Caulerpa and a few pieces of live rock (with all the Coralline algae colors I can find) I'll add from the LFS. I'm hopeful these items will slow all those bubble down.

Haven't thought much about livestock yet. I'm mostly interested in Coral and inverts. I'll put a few fish in like a clown pair perhaps. Love the way they wiggle.

I definately plan on 2 heaters. Jaeger's are a fine product I hear prob 200 watt...?

The sump has a 700GPH pump headloss raising 3 feet up a 3/4 inch pipe...? Wouldnt be too much I suspect.

The black boxes on the right are the metal halide ballasts. They will be on two different shelves not yet mounted in that corner. I thought about installing them on the outside of the tank on the left between the wall and tank stand.

Not sure how much I desire a tank controller yet. I like to fiddle with things perhaps after I'm all dialed in and I dont feel like looking at it every 30 minutes that may change :)

Thanks for the feedback every bit of it helps.

Just food for thought, these cheap hobby heaters a known to stick in the "On" position. People come home from work or get up in the morning to a 95 degree tank. Unfortunately it's not that rare of an occurance and Jaeger's are no exception. Something like a Ranco temp controller or a tank controller can prevent those types of issues.

The baffles in the sump do more then just act as bubble traps. Protein skimmers need a measured consistent water level to work effectively and the baffles can stabilize the water level for the skimmer section otherwise the water level in the entire sump will fluctuate. The baffles also act to compartmentalize areas such as the refugium which has it's pros and cons as you already know ;)

FYI: Most reefers (but not all) steer clear of Caulerpa for good reason, something you might want to look into.

Another consideration for you, Water will likely evaporate at roughly a gallon per day from your system, so you will want to consider how your going to replace the evaporation. Toting a gallon jug to the tank everyday to pour it in is going to get old real fast, but it is doable.

I would recommend that the ballast be remotely located out of the stand as you mentioned earlier.

Just food for thought, these cheap hobby heaters a known to stick in the "On" position. People come home from work or get up in the morning to a 95 degree tank. Unfortunately it's not that rare of an occurance and Jaeger's are no exception. Something like a Ranco temp controller or a tank controller can prevent those types of issues.

The baffles in the sump do more then just act as bubble traps. Protein skimmers need a measured consistent water level to work effectively and the baffles can stabilize the water level for the skimmer section otherwise the water level in the entire sump will fluctuate. The baffles also act to compartmentalize areas such as the refugium which has it's pros and cons as you already know ;)

FYI: Most reefers (but not all) steer clear of Caulerpa for good reason, something you might want to look into.

Another consideration for you, Water will likely evaporate at roughly a gallon per day from your system, so you will want to consider how your going to replace the evaporation. Toting a gallon jug to the tank everyday to pour it in is going to get old real fast, but it is doable.

I would recommend that the ballast be remotely located out of the stand as you mentioned earlier.

Woops I meant Chaeto not Caulerpa my noob colors are showing :)

Good thought on the heaters I can't I'm imagine loosing hundreds of dollars of livestock due to a 30 dollar heater talk about frustrating.

My RODI line reaches right around the corner to replace evaporation loss no buckets, but its not automatic like I've seen with other tanks either. Automaticly adding water using a float valve sounds like a potential disaster to me.

I hadn't thought of the water level consistancy for the skimmer thats a great point. Why would a skimmer need a specific water level, I would think as long as the venturi water pickup was completely submerged it wouldnt matter.

Looks like your on your way good luck. And btw I love the way you made you canopy simple yet sleek

Thanks Dragon my wife inspired the design. I just hope the lighting is high enough off the surface of the water (about 6-7 inches)so my wave maker doesnt splash water all over the bulbs! :)

I agree that RO/DI line completely automated to the sump could be a big problem as float valves can fail. Many people use a float valve on a water storage container in a wet area. Then manually fill an auto top off storage tank with that water so that the potential for disaster is somewhat limited.

As far as why the skimmers work that way I couldn't give you a scientific answer, but the different water levels cause the skimmers to perform differently. There is usually a sweet spot at around 8" to 10" but it can vary by mfg.

Looks like you are doing your research. Good for you! So many people jump in without doing any research at all. I have another question to add to Playa-1's list. I notice that your tank is sitting part on carpet and part on hardwood flooring (or did you cut the carpeting around the tank so it's all on hardwood). If it is sitting on carpeting, it might cause a problem in the future as the carpet starts to settle. You don't want the tank getting off level at all. That could be a potential disaster.

Good question.

The tank is mounted and leveled entirely on the subfloor both the carpet and hardwood are up just a little higher. I had a bookshelf there just about the same size as the tank. I stripped it out and had to remove a bit of carpet to fit the tank.

The tank is on the second floor and sits directly on top of a 4x6 main joist. That area of the floor will support well over 900lbs. Which is what I estimated the tank weighs.

Great set up. Looks like you are on your way to being addicted!!! For what it is worth, I handle my top off using a Reef Fanatics Level Controller. Not terribly expensive, about $75. It has one sensor in the sump and calls for water when the water level drops and a second sensor in the top off tank to prevent the pump from running dry. I realize that is down the road for you, but something to think about. I will tag along for the ride. I am 13 weeks into the build for my second tank. Somehow 2 tanks feels like more than double the work!!!

P.S. - I run felt filter socks on the drain. They catch a lot of junk so that is good. After 13 weeks my wife just figured out I was washing them in the washing machine :D

As far as why the skimmers work that way I couldn't give you a scientific answer, but the different water levels cause the skimmers to perform differently. There is usually a sweet spot at around 8" to 10" but it can vary by mfg.

I did some reading and research and found out when the venturi is at a greater depth in the water its harder for the pump to suck air and the lower the depth the easier it is for it to suck air. Creating the sweet spot you see for most skimmer manufactures depending on the pumps power they come with.

Should be interesting in my case since the skimmer looks to be homemade I'll have to try and find the "sweet spot". I'll start off with a 9 or 10 inch baffle and adjust the skimmer hight with egg crate to find the sweet spot. Then perhaps adjust the air intake with a valve to really fine tune it once things get cycled.

Thank you for brining this up Playa I think you saved me some time and heartache :)

I'll take some pictures of the sump baffle addition when complete. My wife has me painting the room to match the tank this weekend so my next tank update might be a few weeks out.

Changes to the master plan so far...

• heater controler
  • sump baffle addition
  • relocate ballasts and power strip timmer
  • hood fan that comes on with the halide lighting

P.S. - I run felt filter socks on the drain. They catch a lot of junk so that is good. After 13 weeks my wife just figured out I was washing them in the washing machine :D

The guy I bought the tank from had a bunch of filter socks he threw in. I had plans of doing the same lol. I'm guessing the washing machine soap at that level isnt toxic?

Do people ever run a filter sock on the return pump instead of or in addition to the overflow filter sock? I've read somewhere I forget where that ICH is 300 micron so if your filter sock is say 200 micron or smaller it would catch the ICH... does this have any validity you think?

The guy I bought the tank from had a bunch of filter socks he threw in. I had plans of doing the same lol. I'm guessing the washing machine soap at that level isnt toxic?

Do people ever run a filter sock on the return pump instead of or in addition to the overflow filter sock? I've read somewhere I forget where that ICH is 300 micron so if your filter sock is say 200 micron or smaller it would catch the ICH... does this have any validity you think?

I would wash the filter socks seperately...with NO soap. I'm 99% sure thats how most people do it. And some people don't use filter socks at all just because they require very frequent changing and if it went unchecked could cause issues from clogging, etc.

In regards to the ich question...not sure but would love to know the answer.

I would wash the filter socks seperately...with NO soap. I'm 99% sure thats how most people do it. And some people don't use filter socks at all just because they require very frequent changing and if it went unchecked could cause issues from clogging, etc.

In regards to the ich question...not sure but would love to know the answer.

No soap! Thought that might be the case, thanks Icedtc. Could probably just blast it out backwards with the garden hose keep the wife happier :)

No soap! Thought that might be the case, thanks Icedtc. Could probably just blast it out backwards with the garden hose keep the wife happier :)

I do not use soap. I add a cup or so of bleach, that is it, and then let them air dry. Once they are dry the bleach is not longer an issue for the tank. Been doing it this way for a few weeks with no trouble whatsoever.

Skimmer (looks to be homemade) I bought it from the LFS and they let me try it before the purchase it made lots of little bubbles
It's not homemade. It is an ASM G2 or G3. For the price it is a great Skimmer. Be sure to check out the Mods for it.
The sump will be getting a plumbing overhaul. The previous owner used rubber hose and I want to use PVC similar to this.
Some Vinyl tubing in the system can reduce noise. Don't replace all of it with PVC.
30' pump garden hose no metal $20
You might want to re-think this...Go with Vinyl. It won't leach anything into the system. Take a drink from a Garden hose...What do you taste?
For Plenum Plastic egg crate $7
For Plenum ½ inch pvc pipe cut into 3 inch pieces $5

For Plenum Fiberglass screen $5
You might want to read up on Plenums, and why they are not widely used anymore. They CAN cause major problems if not taken care of properly.

It's not homemade. It is an ASM G2 or G3. For the price it is a great Skimmer. Be sure to check out the Mods for it.

Some Vinyl tubing in the system can reduce noise. Don't replace all of it with PVC.

You might want to re-think this...Go with Vinyl. It won't leach anything into the system. Take a drink from a Garden hose...What do you taste?

You might want to read up on Plenums, and why they are not widely used anymore. They CAN cause major problems if not taken care of properly.

Awesome I was hoping somone might identify that skimmer, if it happend to be a brand name.

On the return and overflow or just the overflow?

Great point, water out of a hose is nasty tasting! I've got about 30 feet of clear 3/4 inch vinyl. I'ts had freshwater from my other tank in it. No meds have ever been used. Is that an issue?

My LFS suggested a plenum and had some sound reasoning. I'll do a forum search here but other than that can you think of a specific article or post I should look at?

Thanks for the reply I love the feedback!

Back