9015 skimmer trips GFI

Schmall

I have the Tunze 9015 skimmer and it just tripped my GFI. I cleaned it up and just put the motor block of the unit in the water and that was fine, put the rest of it together and it runs for about 10 seconds and trips the GFI again. Is the drive unit /impeller bad ? or motor block. I bought it Sep of 07 , what's the warranty on this unit?

Thanks

Scott Erickson

2 years, just send the motor only, include your receipt as a skimmer bought at that time could be out of warranty if we go by manufacture date-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Thanks Roger , I just sent it UPS ground.

Just to add, I took it apart and could run the pump only but when I put my finger over the output the extra load on the pump causes the GFI to trip, I have never seen this before.

thanks again

Scott Erickson

That is odd, but I will check it out. I cannot think of a logical reason for that. GFCI's work by measuring a difference from hot to neutral, despite the common assumption that they detect stray current to ground they only assume current is being lost, but many items like ballasts and motors hold a charge and result in a delay on there own, in normal function. But this small motor shouldn't do that, the only delay would be if it was overheating and the thermal switch was opening.

Back