A ~19,000 Gallon Aquarium

this thing is better than sea world..... good job
Thanks, I really enjoy sitting in front of it.

Are you having any algae problems with how shallow it is?
I do have some algae problems partially because of the amount of sunlight the tank gets right now. What will happen though is that it will decrease once the seating area shading goes up and the partial coverage over the tank as well.

Geez, that's huge
I never thought it would look this big. I just hoped it would be a bit taller. :)

Official Collection Car

Official Collection Car

This is a work in progress and I still have a lot to do with this, but here is a 'middle-point' shots:

collection-box.jpg

Here is what I use to keep the fishes/coral alive until I get back to the truck. I have two of these and we keep changing the water while on the boat. It also floats so I can float next to me if need be. The air pump is battery AND electricity operated.

truck1.jpg

Here is it. It is quite big. Maroun can vouch for that :)

truck2.jpg

And here is the Collection HQ. What will eventually be in here:
  • A fresh water tank (50 gallons): It can be seen in on the right.
  • A ~50 gallons igloo-type container to move the fish to.
  • LED lights on the bottom of the cover for lighting (night-dives).

You can also see the inverter and battery. This is not the final placing.

truck3.jpg

Here is the inverter and the related wiring. I will eventually have 3 boxes that will hold the battery and inverter, a small water pump for the fresh water for when coming back from diving/snorkelling, and an additional box for something I haven't though of yet :D.

truck4.jpg

This is the connections this inverter takes. I'm planning to have a power outlet for it, maybe this ;).

Any other ideas?

I assume that's a deep charge maine battery and not a car battery?

I've seen those powerbar ads, and I believe them, but I'm still not going to watch TV in the shower :)

Kudos for taking the initiative to build a good transportation means for the livestock. Air lifts or Vortech low voltage pumps are the way to go for aeration.

Shear water volume should be enough thermal mass for temperature stability. Ice packs can be used for cooling and I'm sure you don't need heating. In some case you can use peroxide to increase dissolved oxygen and redox potential, but I don't deem it necessary.

You could use the transportation time to prophylactically treat fish to isolate pathogens. Copper sulphate, quinine, and nitrofurazone will help heal wounds from netting and trauma. Just make sure you don't put inverts in copper tanks. dedicated fish & invert tanks is a good idea.

Rocks ship best if they get a constant shower of water, rather than being submersed as it adds more oxygen. Sponges however need to stay submerged. Using less water will help with weight even with that monster truck.

I assume that's a deep charge maine battery and not a car battery?
The inverter is made to work on the car battery so I didn't want to change that considering I'm not that proficient in electrical matters. This battery is connected to the car electricity as well for it to charge when the car is running, but the inverter does not drain the main car battery in case this gets drained.

[/quote]Sponges however need to stay submerged. Using less water will help with weight even with that monster truck.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, is it normal for sponges to pop-up everywhere in the tank? I've seen half-a-dozen or more small ones in my tank today.

The inverter is made to work on the car battery so I didn't want to change that considering I'm not that proficient in electrical matters. This battery is connected to the car electricity as well for it to charge when the car is running, but the inverter does not drain the main car battery in case this gets drained.
Sponges however need to stay submerged. Using less water will help with weight even with that monster truck.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of which, is it normal for sponges to pop-up everywhere in the tank? I've seen half-a-dozen or more small ones in my tank today.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will last the relatively short distance you are travelling. If you are going farther afield try a marine battery with non-trickle charger like this... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826657

On the other hand, as long as that giant engine is running you will have more than enough power.

Are you having any algae problems with how shallow it is?

i don't think the depth causes algae. real reefs are shallow too. it is more a function of nutrients and grazers. i have read biomass on reefs of algae is actually higher than the biomass of corals.

what a great setup for transporting the livestock. i am jealous. but then i am jealous of so much.

good job.

Carl

i don't think the depth causes algae. real reefs are shallow too. it is more a function of nutrients and grazers. i have read biomass on reefs of algae is actually higher than the biomass of corals.

what a great setup for transporting the livestock. i am jealous. but then i am jealous of so much.

good job.

Carl

Thanks Carl for the information. I've said it might be helping with the algae (and cyano bacteria in my case) because under the seating area at the back of the tank, it is only the clear area that doesn't have any algae or cyano bacteria. This is also the only area in the tank that doesn't get direct sunlight ever.

New Lights

New Lights

I've installed 4 Ushio bulbs (20K). I was amazed by the difference:

ushio1.jpg

Want to guess which side is the Ushio side? :)

ushio2.jpg

I just love the difference.

I'll change the rest of the bulbs soon. The tank feels like a totally new tank now :D

Just give everyone 3D glasses when they come over, no one will know the colour.

Did you even try carbon yet??? It will do miracles.
I didn't, just used charcoal and it helped a bit. A friend gave me a name of a company that deals with chemicals and I am hoping they will be able to sell me activated carbon in bulk. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Amazing tank. What is the next step?
So much to do, so little time.

I am concentrating on clearing the water. I'm working on a DIY skimmer for that and also working on incorporating activated carbon.

There is also the DIY rock, which is a HUGE undertaking :). I'm planning to cover the side and back walls with DIY rock: a total of 21 meters (~70 feet), and that is without the rocks that need to be made for the middle sections.

The shade for the seating area is already ordered and should be up by the beginning of next week.

Populating the tank with fish and corals that are actually good to look at :) as oppose to groupers and other unattractive fish. I have a couple of nice looking fish but that is as if I didn't add anything because of the size of the tank. For example there is a lone sargent damsel. I would need 2 dozens of these to make it show. I also want a lot of butterfly fish. A small shark maybe :)

Back