A BIG THANKS to Shawn at Wonders of Wildlife

John Kelly

Goniopora Aficionado
Thank you Shawn for a grreaattt WOW tour. We had an excellent and educational time.

Here are a few pics and some details from Saturday.

Big Pump
01%7E4.jpg

BioFilters
02%7E4.jpg

Bank o' Skimmers
03%7E4.jpg

Shark Tank
04%7E4.jpg

Got Salt?
05%7E4.jpg

Big Skimmer
06%7E3.jpg

Our tour headed to a large room downstairs where there were large fiberglass holding tanks, tall bio towers, and a bunch of individual biofilters and pumps. I think those were running the main displays upstairs. After that, Shawn showed us a couple of huge skimmers and described how they worked. From there, he showed us his coral room where he was keeping some donated corals (hint hint anyone have some corals to donate?) and all of the "touch tank" animals. We listened to Dr. Jonathan Trent, who is some type of astrozoologist?, or something crazy like that. Dr. Trent studies wild looking deep sea creatures and is funded by a grant from NASA. He was giving his presentation in the same room with the large curved shark/saltwater tank. I cant remember how many gallons Shawn said the shark tank was, but I think it is 200,000+ gallons(?). Shawn took us up behind the scene to the top of the large shark tank and we could walk around looking down into it. We then climbed up some stairs to a room directly above it where there was a HUGE skimmer, two huge refugiums, and a bank of large skimmers. It was wild. We also got to see behind the scenes of how all the food was stored and prepped for feeding. We also went into a reptile room with snakes and alligators. Shawn introduced us to the bobcats (from the outside of the glass:)). After the tour was over, Julia and I met back up with Shawn for a 3:00 Shark Tank feeding. We all put on some gloves and dipped into a bucket of chopped up fish/squid chum and fed the big display :D.

Thank you Shawn for your time and sharing all of your knowledge with us!:thumbsup: We had a super day.

John

hey there, Thank you to all that came for the tour. it was a real treat to get to talk to some reefers. If anyone would like to come check out the place, just shoot me an email.

the pics turned out great

thanks again.
shawn

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6898772#post6898772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Red Sea Purple Tang
Excellent pics! How big were those pallets of IO salt by the way?
I can't remember exactly how much saltwater they make up.....20,000g comes to mind. Probably weigh 1,000lbs each.
Now, if we all chipped in together.................:D

Those of you that didn't make the tour really missed out! The sheer size and capacity of everything is unreal. The neat part was seeing that basically everything we do with our tanks is similiar in many ways to how things are done there, just on a drastically different scale. On another note, I would have loved to be the PVC supplier for the project, check out John's second picture, literally a room full of plumbing!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6906072#post6906072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by je1683
check out John's second picture, literally a room full of plumbing!
......and those were the small pipes. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6906072#post6906072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by je1683
Those of you that didn't make the tour really missed out!
I'll second that!

Gray pvc is used for aquariums and white pvc is for tiolets. that is what the Lss (life support) guys always tell me.
shawn

Back