a couple of far-fetching requests

shiveley

Okay, so my 8-bulb Tek T5 needs to be sent back to Sunlight Supply for some repairs (which are hopefully covered by the warranty), which creates two problems. First, I have yet to find a box of the appropriate size in order to return the unit. and second, I need an alternative light source for the duration of the repair.
so, here it goes...

Does anyone happen to have a heavy duty cardboard box with the approximate dimensions of 48X20X3? Or, do you have any idea where I might be able to find one?

And, I don't have an alternative source of light for my tank at the moment, and considering that I just got hit with 2 unpaid furlough days a month for the next year I can't really afford a backup light at the moment...so does anyone happen to have a 48" light that I could either borrow or rent for the period of the Tek repair. I know it's a long shot, but I don't have a lot of options right now.

Thanks!

Jon

Jon - If someone can loan you single-end sockets/reflectors, you can borrow my 400W ballasts and bulbs.

Hey Jon, my husband used to ship framed artwork and they always had to cut and tape their boxes. The bike boxes were a good idea.

Sorry to hear about the furlough days!

Jon I have a dual 175W Hamilton Metal halide with dual actinic you could borrow. Kicker is you would have to drive down to Stocktonia to get it. I also have a box that will hold your tek at my work in S. Sac I could even ship it out from my work. Let me know.

really dumb q, have you tried going to light bulbs plus on auburn? they are SLS dealer. they might be able to help you out.

jon

I can offer you a hand on the fixture, I have replaced the ballast on mine before (unnecessarily) and getting to replace all the endcaps as soon as they come in....

1. can help you if you want
2. I have the fixture if you want to borrow it
3. I have lots of heavey duty styro and prob could get enough styro to make one..

LMK if I can do any of those things for you.

Bryan

Wow, you guys (and gals) are truly awesome. Thank you so much for all the offers of assistance. I truly appreciate it. It's great to know that when a need arises that there are people out there willing to help. Makes me proud to say I'm a member of MARS! Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor some time.

I have a metal halide in the garage I was going to put on my planted you are welcome to borrow.

I think that simpleman's got me covered on both a box and a light, so I should be good to go. thanks!

hey jon,

if for some reason simpleman's lights don't work out, I have an 8x54w Tek T5 fixture with legs that I'm not using right now...

jeff

thanks Jeff, I'll keep that in mind.
Now all I have to worry about is dealing with Sunlight Supply...hopefully they stand behind their warranties. Rob from UWP is helping me out on that front though, so I have confidence that things will work out.

one of my ballasts went out...it's still under warranty so i have to send it in for a repair/replacement...hopefully it gets fixed and returned without too much delay.

Hey Jon

In the off chance that all this generiousity doesn't pan out I have the parts to make up a SE 250w fixture that you can borrow. The ballast sucks but the reflector isn't too bad.

Last edited:
i have a 175W with attinic fixutre and icecap ballast you could barrow but it looks like you have some offers much closer. I'm thinking of selling it for $100 anyways .

Back