A few underwater pics

jd474

I got to play around with a Sony shock-proof/underwater point and shoot last week at work. These are just uploaded factory presets, so the rendering is a bit off, but not too bad.

LARGE Diadema urching
P1280415.jpg

Large Hammer
P1280425.jpg

Large P. verrucosa (i think)
P1280426.jpg

Large Montipora sp.
P1280434.jpg

A. gomezi
P1280437.jpg

A. tenuis
P1280438.jpg

few Acropora sp.
P1280447.jpg

36" T. gigas clam
P1280430.jpg

a few more

a few more

part of a very large A. valida
P1280439.jpg

Large (I'm sensing a theme, here) A. youngeii
P1280441.jpg

as much of a FTS as I can get
P1280448.jpg

H. sapien :)
P1280442.jpg

It's always amazed me how much different these corals look inside the tank, as opposed to in the public side, so it's nice to get a few pics while I had the chance.

Amazing pics! I'm assuming you work at the Omaha zoo? If so, do you guys still have that huge Marine Betta?

do you guys still have that huge Marine Betta?

Yes, he is about 8 years old now, in the Beach tank, but usually only comes out briefly at feeding times, and late at night. Not sure how he has survived so long, but a really cool, underrated fish, IMO.

Yes, he is about 8 years old now, in the Beach tank, but usually only comes out briefly at feeding times, and late at night. Not sure how he has survived so long, but a really cool, underrated fish, IMO.

Unless it's a different fish than I'm thinking of, he's way older than that.

My brother owned a marine betta back in the early/mid 90's. He sold his tank (including the betta) to Scott Michael. Scott then, I believe, donated the fish to the zoo once it got too large. If it's the same fish it has to be close to ~15-17yrs old. I saw it a few years ago but haven't made it up to the zoo in awhile :(

Unless it's a different fish than I'm thinking of, he's way older than that.

My brother owned a marine betta back in the early/mid 90's. He sold his tank (including the betta) to Scott Michael. Scott then, I believe, donated the fish to the zoo once it got too large. If it's the same fish it has to be close to ~15-17yrs old. I saw it a few years ago but haven't made it up to the zoo in awhile :(

Probably one of the original Indo. exhibit fish, the Beach tank has only been set up as-is for 8-9 years. Before that it was all bluespot stingrays and about 1,000 blue damsels :spin3:

Probably one of the original Indo. exhibit fish, the Beach tank has only been set up as-is for 8-9 years. Before that it was all bluespot stingrays and about 1,000 blue damsels :spin3:

Nope, it's the fish he's talking about. Scott donated that fish about 9 years ago and it was one of the first fish put into the Beach tank. I didn't know Scott got him from someone else and he's that old! Crazy.

Mitch

Nope, it's the fish he's talking about. Scott donated that fish about 9 years ago and it was one of the first fish put into the Beach tank. I didn't know Scott got him from someone else and he's that old! Crazy.

Mitch

its funny you were telling us the story of that fish when we were touring the zoo last month, this fish is of legendary status now.

Man that is too cool! I'm sure my brother will be happy to hear his betta is still enjoying the good life. I may try to dig up an old picture of it (probably have to find a scanner though as I'm pretty sure it was pre-digital). It would be interesting to see how the patterning has changed over so many years.

Re: A few underwater pics

Wow that's really cool. I guess it shows how long some of these fish can live with proper care.

Back