My SPS dominate 120

Mr. Right

My SPS dominate 120

Hi my name is Carlos and I'm addicted to SPS. In my 3 short years of reefing I've transitioned from a 12gal nano, 36 gal bow, 37 gal SPS/LPS dominate reef. My current system(s) consist of a SPS dominate illuminata and a 60 frag/quarantine tank.

Links to my older tanks

37gal

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647370

Rimless

http://www.reefcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1805284

In my new build I will try and keep my equipment list minimal. The heart of my filtration will be a large skimmer (obviously ). I decided on a gen III vertex IN 180. The reason I purchased this skimmer is because I feel that it is great value, has superior build quality, and from my previous experience Vertex is a solid performer. I currently use the gen II IN 100 on my system and from what I read the gen III is a great buy. For those who are interested in its performance I will post updates. Another method of filtration will be a refugium. I know people have mixed opinions on how effective they can be, but I still want to incorporate one in my system. Regardless of having or not having a fuge, I will have a reverse light cycle for my sump; with that considered I might as well use that light to grow algae and help reduce nutrients. Along with algae, I will fill the fuge chamber with excess LR, feather dusters, and a remote DSB. After reading Leonardo's threads, and having a chance to speak with him about it, I decided to attempt a remote DSB for myself. Chemical/ mechanical filtration will be handled by media reactors filled with carbon & gfo. In the event that my proposed filtration lacks, I may look into bacteria dosing. I will use MB7 to start but only to assist me with cycling.

Flow on this tank will come from a mag 9, MP 40, and Tunze 6100. With this combo my turnover will be around 57x per hour. I may change out the tunze and replace it with smaller powerheads to help with achieve a random flow.

As far as lighting I decided to go with a 6x39 watt Tek Elite fixture. Choosing a light for this tank has been a headache. I knew I wanted T5's and active cooling was a must. I originally decided on a 8x39 watt fixture, but buying the ATI PM was not practical; and at almost a grand I decided to keep researching. It was then I discovered that both LET lighting and the ATI SP would soon be releasing 8x39 watt fixtures. From what I was told, the LET fixture had proven to be a great competitor, showing like ATI PM PAR. I know ATI SP is a solid fixture, but I getting a date of release soon became an issue. With all things considered, I decided to try the Tek elite. I chose this light because of its great price and dimensions. It has over 2" on the ATI SP, and that was appealing because I wasn't completely sold on a 13" fixture lighting a 24" tank. Being wider, and costing almost $200.00 less than the SP, and almost $300.00 less than the PM, the choice was easy. The Tek appeared to be a good value all things considered. I hope I don't eat my words lol! I'm not completely sure on the bulb combo I will use but I'm sure I will use at least 3 Blue +. I recently decided to try the KZ new gen bulb which I really like. I will use them in place of any aqua blue specials I plan on using.

To keep my CA & DKH in line I plan on using kalk. It will be dispensed through a aqua-lifter hooked up to my ATO. I'm not sure on what your feelings are on kalk, but from using it in the past I find it a reliable and cost effective way to maintain levels. I have a feeling I still may have to dose calcium in which case I have purchased 3 BRS dosers to handle any additional dosing.

So far my equipment list is:

RR All glass 120 gal (48" x 24" x 24")

40 gal sump/fuge

Vertex IN 180

TLF 150 reactors x 2

6x39 watt Tek Elite

Mag 9

MP40

Tunze 6100 on a 7091 controller

BRS Drew dosers x3

RKL

The SPS in my tank will either be grown out colonies from my existing setup or maricultured pieces. I would like to only have a few number of fgras in my tank but I can't promise you anything :). I have been collecting several divers den SPS as well as hitting up my LFS for any eye catching gems.

Here is what I have so far

Acro's

Millepora (Pink w/ blue polyps)

Millepora (Red)

Millepora (Green)

Rosaria (Green w/ purple corallites)

Suharsonoi (Yellow)

Tenuis (Blue)

Tenuis (Bright green/yellow)

Tenuis (Beige w/ blue tips)

Humilis (Green)

Formosa (Blue Tips)

Solitaryensis (Green)

Tortuosa (ORA tort pre hurricane blue)

Oregon Tort

Cali Tort

Acropora sp. (Purple tips, green corallites)

Tri Color

And a few others

Montipora

Digitata (Purple w/ silver polyps)

Digitata (Fire-n-ice white base red polyps)

Undata

Cap (Green w/ purple rim)

Stylophora

Pink

FHI Sour apple

FHI Neon Green

Seriatopora

ORA BOP

Neon Green

A few zoa's will be scattered about the base of some rocks, along with a few LPS. I plan to add some suncorals in shaded areas to give the tank some what of a mixed look; but over all it will be a pronounced SPS tank. In addition I want to add a enchinata, some bottle brush and tabling across to my coral list. My rock scape will be clean, minimal, and open. I had planned and sketched a two island layout but now I'm leaning more towards 3. I plan to scape my tank where no rock is higher that 2/3rds of the tanks height.

My fish stocking is up in the air but I really want to have a VERY large number of schooling fish. I will most likely have at least 25-40 red firefish! I know it may sound weird but I have had them in smaller numbers (5-7) and I really enjoy the schooling effect they bring to the tank. If I decide to go with less firefish I may try some of the odd ball jawfish in small groups along with anthias. But who knows. Well that's it for now. I have mid-terms and work going on this week but I hope to finish the stand by the weekend and get some pictures up. If any of you have suggestions please feel free to post them. Happy reefing!

-Carlos

Carlos, I'm in man. Really glad to hear the tank is moving forward. Can't wait for updates. Let me know if you need anything at all. Has assembly started yet?

Thanks Aqua! No assembly yet, I still have to disassemble the frag tank and move my living room around. The stand is a major piece I plan to button up this weekend (hopefully). I gotta move the illuminata as well. Man I love new builds!!!

The plans look really good, looking forward to the pictures :) Will you use sand in the Display and/or Refugium?

Leonardo

Me too :spin2:. My schedule has been crazy lately. I finally had some time to work on the stand but I still have some things to finish up. My light is the only thing that has yet to come in but it should be here first thing next week. Other than that I should be posting pics next week along w/ my progress.

Happy Reefing

Well I have some updates for you all. First off, I finished scaping the tank; and as much as I wanted to stray from the two island look, I did it anyway. Not saying I don't like the two island look but I see a lot of tanks with it, so I guess I wanted to be different. I would have liked to try a three island layout but I feel my tank size is a little too small for three islands. I'll have wait and see what Leonardo comes up with;).

I received my light. My first thoughts were, it's ok. I can tell you the design doesn't stack up to the ATI. It uses two fans (one on each end), where the ATI uses them on one end. The fans suck in outside air creating a circular path. Between the fans are several vent holes; the ballasts are mounted directly bellow. With the 2 fans on each end the center vent also takes in air. I'm sure Tek did this to assist with ballast cooling. Under the ballast are nine 1" holes, which are approximately 1" above the reflectors. On the center of each reflector are three 1/8" slits. The slits are about 2" long, and run parallel with the bulb when it is mounted. The total length of the slits/vents is about 8-9". Having the acrylic shield allows the air to be pushed out either end of the fixture. IMO seems like a lot of holes/vents. Also, I'm not sure what ill effect the slits in the reflector will have. Being that the highest par on T5's is in the center of the bulb, why would you put slits in the center of the reflector? Any who, I did a quick example in microsoft paint for those interested. The red represents the fans, the black the vents holes, and of course the blue arrows are the way of travel. Please forgive the picture quality, these are just some quick cell phones pics.

Tek1.jpg

TekLight.jpg

Here are some of my future additions. I really need to move them to the new tank!!!
20gal.jpg

Some sump shots. I ditched the mag 9 and decided to go with a sicce syncra pump. After head loss, I will be about 1125-1200 gph, and with the MP40 and Tunze I will be about 7,500 gph :eek1:. I'll more than likely have to do some tuning but I rather have more flow than not enough.
Fuge.jpg

Sump.jpg

Thank you guys for reading! Promise to have some actual pictures up this weekend!

Happy Reefing

man thats alot of SPS for a 120g same as mine. don't forget about grow out.
they'll need room. personally I like larger colony's than more. just a thought.

Just a random thing to say, I thought it was hilarious how you started it out like an AA meeting. "Hi my name is Carlos and I’m addicted to SPS." lol

man thats alot of SPS for a 120g same as mine. don't forget about grow out.
they'll need room. personally I like larger colony's than more. just a thought.

Agreed. To clear things up, I don't plan on adding all the corals listed, nor do I plan on adding all the corals in quarantine. Most all corals will be put in the new system initially. I'll wait to see what colors and growth patterns develop. From that point I will permanently mount the corals that I think "œfit" my system. As for growth, it was defiantly taken in to account in my rock scape. The scape can be considered short or not enough. I tried to envision what I want to have in a couple years, not right off the bat. My rock is built about ½ way up the tank. I want the corals to fill in the rest. Some who have seen it say it's not enough rock; but I continue to emphasize that I want a coral tank not a rock tank. Along with my scape, my placement will be calculated. I plan to place corals based upon future growth patterns and formation. Granted, I'm not going to cover all future issues but I tried to take everything in to account. I appreciate your comments, and I hope this clears things up.

Just a random thing to say, I thought it was hilarious how you started it out like an AA meeting. "Hi my name is Carlos and I'm addicted to SPS." lol

Well it's the truth lol! :lolspin:

Happy reefing
Carlos

Here you go aqua. Yeah, it’s a cell phone pic but you get the idea. I have a lot of micro bubbles in the tank and I’m sure it’s because my skimmer is still breaking in.
IMG00391-20101111-1946.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates. The tank is well…kinda cluttered because I have too many corals. I need to decide which ones I’m going keep. But I did manage to pick up a yellowish-green mari-cultured eflo that I’m very happy about. On another note I have beefed up my fish load

2 True Perc’s
Purple Dottyback
Large Scopas Tang
3 Orange Anthias
Leopard Wrasse
Green Mandrin
5 Chromis
3 Red Firefish
Helfrichi
Yellow watchman

As far as the mandarin it seems to be doing well. I’ve had it for a month or so and I see it constantly picking off the rocks. My fuge is very populated so I hope I can support his appetite. All my corals seem well. My parameters are stable with the exception of my alk which is constantly at 7. My calcium is usually around 420-440 and Mg around 1300. I’m dosing kalk through my ato along with 8 ml’s of Ca, 16 ml’s of Mg, and 24 ml’s of Alk which is dosed daily through my brs dosers. I’ll have some pic’s up soon.

Back