A lot of people love this tank...

The Escaped Ape

In The Canopy
And I've just found a few (only a few) details, so I thought I'd share them.

Here are a few photos, one familiar to most and two which I've not seen before. Apologies for the large size, but given a lot of people already use the first photo as a desktop, I thought people would appreciate the larger size.

reeftank01_1024.jpg

reeftank02_1024.jpg

reeftank03_1024.jpg

Here is a quote from the website:

こちらの水槽は、C.P.Farmのリーフアクアリウム。
水槽サイズは、1,100×1,000×550(mm)、C.P.Farmオリジナルガラス水槽です。サンプは、1,200×450×450で、総水量は 約750リットル。

Which, if my Japanese is up to scratch, means:

This aquarium is CP Farm's reef aquarium. The aquarium is 1100x1000x550 (mm) [i.e. 43.3" x 39.4" x 21.7"]. It is an original CP Farm aquarium. With the sump 1200x450x450 [i.e. 47.2" x 17.7" x 17.7"], the total volume is about 750 liters [i.e. 198g].

There's even more at the bottom of the page. (I'm including the Japanese in case there are people rather better at translating than I am, plus it makes the translation easier for me!).

デザイン、強度、大きさ等の条件において、C.P.Farmが考える理想形の 水槽が市販されておらず自作しました。

CP Farm made for ourselves what we would think of as an ideal aquarium, in terms of design, strength and size.

上下のみステンレス枠のオールガラス水槽です。 この水槽のメリットとしては、一般的な細長の水槽に比べて、レイアウトの自由度が高く、奥行きのあるレイアウトが行える点。

It's an all glass aquarium with stainless steel frame at the top and bottom. The advantage of this aquarium is that, compared to the usual long and thin aquarium, you have a high degree of freedom and can put in place layouts with more depth.

また水流面において、背面コーナーに大型の水流ポンプを1ヶ設置して対角線上に水流を送ることで、全体的な力強い流れを作ることが出来ます。

Furthermore in terms of water flow, by putting a strong powerhead at the corner of the tank in one place, sending a strong flow diagonally across, you can get strong flow across the entire tank.

水槽全体の水が回るようなトルクのある流れの効果は非常に大きく、ライブロックの岩組みの隙間に入り込んだ流れも、そこで停滞することなく、後から押し寄 せる流れに押されて、出口を求めて迷路のような岩組の間を縦無尽に走り回ります。

The result of water flow with torque, circulating through the entire aquarium, is considerable, with flow pushing between the live rock, avoiding dead spots, as the flow pushes from behind and surges through, as if it is looking for an exit from the maze of gaps between the pieces of rock to circulate completely freely.

またデザイン面において、写真では写っていませんが、水槽上下の細い鉢巻状のステンレス枠が美しく、最近流行の枠なし水槽に比べて、見ていて安心感を感じ て気に入っています。

In addition, on the design side, you can't see it in the photos, but there is a beautiful stainless steel band at the top and the bottom, which, compared to the recent trend for tanks with no frame, is quite to our liking, given the feeling of reassurance you get when you look at the tank.

特に、タンクをアーティスティックな感覚で、一枚の絵として捉えたときに、最もバランス良く見える縦横の比率と額縁にあたる上下のステンレス枠が最もタンク内を引き立ててくれるようイメージして設計しました。

Particularly in terms of the artistic impression of the tank, although it's not really caught in any of these pictures, we planned it so that the stainless steel band, framing the dimensions of the tank from all directions, would be the most effective contrast with the contents of the tank.

大切なことは、ガラス面をピカピカに磨いておくこと。
コケの掃除はもちろんですが、外側のガラス面も「拭く」ではなく「磨く」感覚です。
また、周囲全面においてコケの掃除が行えるように、岩組とガラス面の間には若干の隙間を空けておくことも、タンクを綺麗に保つコツのようです。

It's important the glass is polished until it shines. Of course cleaning off algae inside is important, but also is the feeling of "polishing", not "wiping" the outside. Also, to enable cleaning of algae from every surface around the edge, there is an open area between the glass and rock, but this space also serves as a trick to preserve the tank's beauty.

I've been a bit thick, as I'd saved the picture myself from a thread here before and hadn't connected the title of the jpg (CP Farm) to this place, which is a company specializing in maricultured live rock, coral, clams etc on the island of Okinawa in Japan. Their website is on my favorites, as they are a potential supplier when we move to Japan next year and I start up a new tank, so I really should have realized earlier!

This is their home page. It was going to this page, instead of the online shop (which is actually the page on my favorites) that helped me twig, as a picture of the tank is right there!.

http://www.cpfarm.com/

This is the page with the photos. It has some higher resolution pics and a couple of pics which look to be from a different tank, unless the same tank was restocked/rescaped.

http://www.cpfarm.com/aquarium/gallery/reeftank.shtml

You're welcome! I need to keep my eye in on the Japanese and it was rather a rather more enjoyable way to do it than the usual options.

Yes, "Use it or lose it!"... they say. I personally use the osmosis method. My living room and office space are covered in Chinese scrolls. :D

I really like the coral choices in this tank. It goes to show that practicing restraint, avoiding the temptation to put in one of every coral, results in a more natural looking reef. And the Chromis combined with the Cardinals is a very nice choice.

This reminds me of the artist books-Nature Aquarium World. They were freshwater plant tanks that were set up as a photography subject. Most of the tanks were set up photoed and taken down, although some were long term tanks. This reef tank looks like it was set up very recent to the photo- and may be a similar situation.

Yes, "Use it or lose it!"... they say. I personally use the osmosis method. My living room and office space are covered in Chinese scrolls. :D

I really like the coral choices in this tank. It goes to show that practicing restraint, avoiding the temptation to put in one of every coral, results in a more natural looking reef. And the Chromis combined with the Cardinals is a very nice choice.

I'm lucky that I have a Japanese wife, which enables me to practice quite a bit! :love1: However, the only bit I had to get her help for was one word which translated as "mutual finance association". She was able to reassure me that whoever had typed it had clicked the wrong choice of characters! :lmao:

I know what you mean about the choice of corals as well. Really inspiring to see a tank looking so good that has a large number of softies. Not sure how they keep the Dendronephthya looking good though. Maybe that strengthens syrinx's case that this tank is not long set up, I don't know. The sump would certainly be big enough for a fuge, but I've not seen them used that much with Japanese tanks.

This reminds me of the artist books-Nature Aquarium World. They were freshwater plant tanks that were set up as a photography subject. Most of the tanks were set up photoed and taken down, although some were long term tanks. This reef tank looks like it was set up very recent to the photo- and may be a similar situation.

I know what you mean. The sand in particular is very pristine looking. On the other hand, the write-up seems to indicate that the shop is pretty anal about keeping it clean, so who knows?

You're welcome guys.

Snakebyt, I'm sorry, the largest resolution seems to be 1200x1024 and, even then, it looks like that's the size of the desktop, rather than a greatly improved resolution.

Here's a link to that size, in case you want to take a look yourself.

http://www.cpfarm.com/img/aquarium/gallery/reeftank/reeftank01_1280.jpg

They've got a whole page of some pretty decent shots of more general reef scenes as well.

Here's the link.

http://www.cpfarm.com/aquarium/gallery/

And here's an example.

kumanomi_02_1024.jpg

Does anyone know what fish it is that's "schooling" in the photos? The some-what translucent one? I really like that look in a reef tank but haven't found any reports of a fish that consistently sticks together (as opposed to going their own way unless threatened or killing each other off).

Does anyone know what fish it is that's "schooling" in the photos? The some-what translucent one? I really like that look in a reef tank but haven't found any reports of a fish that consistently sticks together (as opposed to going their own way unless threatened or killing each other off).

cardinal fish. not sure which species specifically but there are quite a few simular looking schooling cardinals.

I believe they are Apogon leptacanthus, the longspine cardinalfish.

I absolutely love that rockwork! I've had that first shot as my desktop at various times in the past. That tank is one of the main reasons my next tank will be deeper front to back.

Back