A nano tank to replace my 140g setup

I just managed to get a Solana and stand home from my LFS in my Passat with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in the car. The tank, which in a box roughly 23" x 23" x 23" went in the front seat and the stand went in the trunk. I don't know what year your Jetta is but I don't thin the tank will go in your front seat because my passat is quite a bit wider than my old Jetta (2002). The main space constraint was the width....it had to sit on my center console so the door would close.

I hope this info helps. I just wanted offer up what I know since I just transported one of these in my car. Good luck to you, it is a beautiful tank you won;t be disappointed!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14254314#post14254314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
FYI, the dimensions and weights for a Solana setup are:
Tank: 27"x27"x25", 80 lb.
Stand: 34"x26"x9", 65 lb.
HQI light: 30"x16"x15", 25 lb.

I found a border parcel pickup place that only charges $5 for each parcel regardless of size/weight.

Now I just need to measure the 'ol Jetta to see how this will fit.

Put it on the roof if you have to, right? :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255415#post14255415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

I would if I were him! Melev, I have to thank you for recommending the Solana somewhere around here. It got me to hunt one down at a LFS and take a look. I bought it immediately (they gave me a pretty killer deal0 and I took back the BC 29 I hadn't set up yet. Much better looking and put together system if you asked me!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14254519#post14254519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
I just managed to get a Solana and stand home from my LFS in my Passat with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in the car. The tank, which in a box roughly 23" x 23" x 23" went in the front seat and the stand went in the trunk. I don't know what year your Jetta is but I don't thin the tank will go in your front seat because my passat is quite a bit wider than my old Jetta (2002). The main space constraint was the width....it had to sit on my center console so the door would close.

I hope this info helps. I just wanted offer up what I know since I just transported one of these in my car. Good luck to you, it is a beautiful tank you won;t be disappointed!

I've got a 2001 Jetta, so definitely not so wife.

Worse case I can always take the Olds Alero we have, but I'd prefer no to drive that beast if at all possible. :)

Absolute worse case I can borrow a minivan from a family member.

Thanks for the input though! :) As long as I can get the box into the door of the car I should be fine. I've always been amazed at the amount of stuff I can pack into this car! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

Borrow the minivan!! That way you can all go and everyone will be comfortable!!

Funny story.....when I picked mine up my wife waited inside while the guys helped me load up. When I told them to put the tank in the front seat the guy looked at me and said "Where is the wife going to sit?" LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255415#post14255415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

Haha, yeah and knowing my luck a passing car would kick up a chunk of ice that demolishes the tank.

I would if I were him! Melev, I have to thank you for recommending the Solana somewhere around here. It got me to hunt one down at a LFS and take a look. I bought it immediately (they gave me a pretty killer deal0 and I took back the BC 29 I hadn't set up yet. Much better looking and put together system if you asked me!

I started pricing out a tank at the LFS; a 20g nano:
Photo_012309_002.jpg

Its a nice enough setup, but the BIG problem is that there is NO room for lighting in the canopy. Width wise the 18" T5s by current-usa would fit, but the water would be probably 1/2" from the lights. Halides wouldn't work with that lid either; I'd have to build a new canopy or use a pendant.

That and the tank / stand together costs $500. For that I'd not want to be building a new canopy or trying to find an appropriate pendant.

So far I'm liking what I see about the Solana.

Tyler

I have a 150 w MH pendant hanging over my nano and love the growth. There is something to be said about having a hood and concealing the waterline, but check out the solana fixtures as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255542#post14255542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Borrow the minivan!! That way you can all go and everyone will be comfortable!!

Funny story.....when I picked mine up my wife waited inside while the guys helped me load up. When I told them to put the tank in the front seat the guy looked at me and said "Where is the wife going to sit?" LOL

I was thinking providing I can get the tank in the back and trunk that my wife and I would go alone and leave our daughter to visit Grandma (which would be plenty more fun). :)

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255626#post14255626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hebygb
I have a 150 w MH pendant hanging over my nano and love the growth. There is something to be said about having a hood and concealing the waterline, but check out the solana fixtures as well.

My wife loves the look of the pendant, so I think makes it an easy sell for both of us. :)

How long do you run the MH over your tank? I've never used just MH for lighting before. Always had T5s for supplement.

Tyler

Something to consider, Tyler.

Check out ReefConcept.com if you haven't already. I know they carry all the Current USA stuff at a better price than Big Al's. Then, call up Big Al's ask for the price match +5% deal. Big Al's also does free shipping.

I did this ordering my Sundial, and got it at $237CDN which is better than anything else I could get in Canada, and better than some US prices.

Here is the Solana link at Reef Concept: http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1047

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14255734#post14255734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Something to consider, Tyler.

Check out ReefConcept.com if you haven't already. I know they carry all the Current USA stuff at a better price than Big Al's. Then, call up Big Al's ask for the price match +5% deal. Big Al's also does free shipping.

I did this ordering my Sundial, and got it at $237CDN which is better than anything else I could get in Canada, and better than some US prices.

Here is the Solana link at Reef Concept: http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1047

Thanks for the idea... :)

I had called Reef Concept about the Solana tank and unfortunately the store owner said he is not able to ship to Winnipeg . Apparently no shipping companies will touch the shipping of the tank so he'd have to get a freight company to do it and that'd be around $300-350 for the tank alone.

I also called Big Al's online, who according to Current-USA carries their products. Big Al's apparently only stocks the tank in stores and not via their online presence. The sell the pendant online, but that is it. So I'm out of luck again there unless I want to drive to Calgary to pick up the tank. :)

:rolleyes: Ah the joys of living in Winnipeg.

Thanks,
Tyler

The funny thing is that Big Al's never verified shipping. Reef Concept also would not ship me the Sundial, but I didn't tell Big Al's that ;)

You could have Andy, Ewing or Jason make you a Nano of the right size and just go with a sump?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14258426#post14258426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
The funny thing is that Big Al's never verified shipping. Reef Concept also would not ship me the Sundial, but I didn't tell Big Al's that ;)

You could have Andy, Ewing or Jason make you a Nano of the right size and just go with a sump?

I don't understand why Reef Concept lists things on their online store if they won't ship them. :)

Yes, I could have a tank built, but I really am looking for a slick all in one solution I can use right out of the box. Busy busy! :)

Thanks,
Tyler

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with my 20g Nano that is in progress, but I had a specific size requirement, specifically shallow and wide. Ewing came through with a nice looking little tank!

leaktest-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14259302#post14259302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with my 20g Nano that is in progress, but I had a specific size requirement, specifically shallow and wide. Ewing came through with a nice looking little tank!

leaktest-1.jpg

The wide and shallow format is very neat. You can get away with less light and still have a pretty good footprint to put things in.

My biggest thing is I just don't have time to build a stand, canopy, plumb things up, etc. Thats not to say I wouldn't like to have the time of course. :)

Thanks,
Tyler

Nothing much to report.
I was all ready to go and order the Solana setup because I found a buyer for my 140g tank. Buying the Solana is contingent on offloading my 140g. Well, the guy appears to have backed out. So Solana for me.

On a side note, what does everyone think is a reasonable price for a 140g tank with canopy, powder coat stainless stand, a 4 T5 setup, starphire front on the tank, starboard piece precut for going "bare bottom"? Tank is 48wx28dx24t.

I do have a bunch of live rock sitting in a bucket of bleach to sterilize it completely. No bubble algae or aptasia will come over to the Nano!

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14302646#post14302646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I would hope to get 50% of the new price I paid.

That sounds about right.

Part of the problem is that "starphire front", and "powder coated steel stand" is completely lost on most of the aquarists in my area. There are not a lot of high end tanks to be had here.

Tyler

Doesn't matter. You just stick to your price, and explain the added value to would-be buyers. The right person will understand and purchase it, just like you did.

Back