A new start...

MacnReef

Well, my 58 has some sort of plant growing on the rocks..may be a macro algae. Either way, tanks water clarity is fair, but sand and rocks just look dirty all the time. I have two fish in the tank at this time, a clownfish and a foxface.

I have 80 lbs of Fiji Pink sand and 60 lbs of Fiji live rock. The tank currently has an ASM G1X, 20g sump, Quiet One 5000 return pump, a MaxiJet powerhead and a 36" Dual 250w, Dual 39W HQI/T5 Oceanlight fixture.

The changes for the upgrade will include.

Deltec APF600 Skimmer
Dual Tunze 6000 Streams on Multicontroller
Starboard bottom
Cooking my liverock for 6 months

My Deltec should be on its way soon and as soon as I find a pair of 6000 streams for a good price, I will be ordering them. I already have the starboard, it just needs to be cut. I will be picking up a Rubbermaid tub in the coming days which will hold all of my liverock. The tub will remain covered so there will be no light, I will also be using a smaller skimmer I have laying around. I will perform bi-weekly to monthly waterchanges of 100%, in which I will completely remove the rocks, perform a dunk and swish in old water and put the rock back in the tub with fresh saltwater.

The day the rock is removed from my 58, I will begin removing my sand. I plan to add two PVC racks, low and high to place my corals on. I will hook up the Deltec to the 58 so I can get it dialed in and I will shut down one of my halides as it won't be needed. I will also be building a small extension on both sides of my current cabinet to house my electronic devices such as DJ controllers and my Tunze Multicontroller. The other side will house a calcium reactor, once I get one.

I am trying to figure the best way to build the cabinets to the sides of my existing cabinet and have considered just building a new unit...almost like a wall unit to house everything.

Once everything is back up and running, sometime next year, I will evaluate the flow throughout the tank and possibly add two Tunze 6100 streams to the 2x6000 that will be in the tank.

These are my ideas...let me know what you think. Also, if you think 6 months is a little excessive on the cooking time, let me know. Ideally, I would like to have the tank back up and running by the first of the year.

Thanks for any help.

MacnReef

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a really good plan for restarting, I can't think of anything you overlooked :thumbsup: Good luck... you've got way more patience than I do :lol:

Sounds like your on target. I would let the rock tell you when its done. When it stops shedding and you can't find anything on it you don't like, its done.

Thanks guys for the positive reinforcements. I really want to do this right and it seems whenver I set up tanks, I take the easy route to get the tank up and running. I have decided, if I am going to have a tank, might as well put some effort and time into it.

I will watch my rock carefully and once it has stopped producing, I will give it another month...just to be sure.

Mike

Decided to get a Precision Marine CR622 Calcium Reactor. So I have now added that to my list.

I believe I am also going to put the 58g in a wall...I know it is a little small for a "in-wall" tank but its what I got.

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8123283#post8123283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MacnReef
Decided to get a Precision Marine CR622 Calcium Reactor. So I have now added that to my list.

I believe I am also going to put the 58g in a wall...I know it is a little small for a "in-wall" tank but its what I got.

Mike

lol My 280 like like a 90 inwall!

So here is the proposed layout of the new fish room. The room will be roughly 8x10 or so. I will get exact dims when I get home. I haven't decided where to put the door yet so for now, no door isn't shown, but it will most like go left of the tank.

13041room_layout.jpg

I also have some pictures of some of the equipment I bought.

Precision Marine CR622 Calcium Reactor...rated up to 500 gallons.
13041f322re2.jpg

Deltec APF600 Skimmer...rated for about 200 - 270 gallons.
13041P4130003.jpg

Light rack I got...planning on using it with dual halides (haven't decided on wattage yet) and dual VHO actinics...then selling my current pendant.
1304137565Img_8782.jpg

I will get an image up of how the tank looks now later tonight. Then I will shoot the room before construction.

Mike

Yep! I also plan to put the light rack on a rail system so I can slide it over the fuge to get it out of the way.

Any suggestions that anyone has...please, feel free to comment. Maybe even give me a suggestion on what sort of rail system to use on the light rack?

The fuge and sump will most likely be those rubbermaid troughs from Tractor Supply. They have a short (height wise) one that would be great for a fuge and it comes with a bulkhead I think so plumbing wouldn't be difficult at all.

Mike

Oh yeah, just over the sink there is a small window that I can install a window A/C unit in if I need to.

More pics coming tonight.

Mike

I just picked up two 32 gallon rubbermaid trash cans for my RO DI station. One will be put on the floor in that corner and the other will be on a stand just above it. The bottom one will be for mixing and the top will be RO DI storage. When i wanna mix water, I will open a valve near the bottom of the top one and it will travel down some pipe and enter the side near the top of the bottom container which will have a heater and power head for mixing.

Then from the bottom one, I will pump to the sump. I will use a pump in the sump to remove the water from the tank and pump it out the window.

Mike

The stand will be constructed out of 2x4's and 2x6's like most stands here on RC. Once the old bar room is cleared up, I will begin construction on the stand and the wall. Here is sort of the idea for the stand.

13041stand.jpg

Mike

My only advice... go with a larger tank! The tank itself will be virtually the least expensive part of the entire set-up. It seems like you're going all out in every area of your set-up, upgrading many things, but keeping the same small glass box. (Not the the 58g is small... just consider the opportunity in redesigning.) I am envious of your plan, but I say, bigger box! What's the one desire common to nearly every reef geek out there??? Someday.... bigger box. Anyway, the plan looks awesome! It's one thing to upgrade a piece of equipment, but when redoing everything, don't forget the easiest thing to change.

lol...how could you? Just because of your statement I just called a builder and got a quote on a 36x36x24 but also looking at other options...lol Just need to stay under 180 gallons as I would be concerned that my skimmer wouldn't be able to handle it.

Mike

Well I actually think I found a tank...

60"x24"x20"H
or
72"x21"x21"H

Either would do it! They are acrylic too, so I could drill it and put in a closed loop instead of going with Tunzes.

What do you think? I will measure the wall tonight and see what fits better then I might go that route.

Mike

This is why the 58 is coming down!
13041full-tank.jpg

This is where the new tank will go...the room is 11'10x10.
13041bar-area.jpg

In this picture you can see where the door will be. There is no A/C in this room so that window will become a window unit. Back to the door, see where the popcorn extends on the ceiling a few inches? That area is 39" which is big enough for a door.
13041new-tank-area.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Mike

Bar is beginning to come down. It must have 10,000 screws in it...lol Once I get the front bar down, then I can take out the back bar and move it for now. Then I will be pulling up all of the flooring in that area and laying down some new stuff. Then I will build the wall for the tank.

I think I have decided to get a larger tank...lol I am currently looking at the 60"x24"x20" one as it is a few dollars cheaper and I believe it will fit better and give more room on the one end for the fuge.

Finally, I picked up some angled aluminum and some aluminum pop-rivets to build a light rack for a larger tank.

Mike

Now you're makin' everybody jealous, well, everyone of us that doesn't have an in-wall with a dedicated room behind! Tell the wife I'm sorry if I'm the culprit for talking you in to the bigger box, but I think in the long run... all will acknowledge my greatness, er um, I mean I hope you'll be happy with that decision. :lol:

lol...its gonna be sweet!

Will probably get the new tank tomorrow but I might wait because right now it is in a warehouse about 20' up and I am sure it is better there than in my basement to get scratched.

Tomorrow, time willing, I will have the bar completely taken down. There is so much to do to get it there but its gonna keep me busy. Plus my rock will be cooking so its cool if it takes a little bit. I wouldn't see a problem with having the construction done by the middle of November.

Mike

Back