A.Nigripes? How Many People Have Them!

Tyler.L

Hey everyone a local supplier says hes able to get some from a sri lankan distributor just nervous on if they actually are nigripes....

if anyone has them post how some pics and how well they behave

thanks!

theyre a fantastic clown. i really enjoyed mine. but in my experience, theyre essentially impossible to acquire and have live. exceptionally delicate shipper.

ive been trying to find a swarm of them for some time, so good luck!

he said he can get them for $40 but what are the odds that they actually are nigripes? i have until thursday at noon to make the decision if i should get them or not...

IME nigripes are not that hard to "find" per say. Just hard to get them to survive shipping. I have a spawning pair, and they are great. However I lost several fish to shipping while trying to create the pair.

My lfs has them regularly and they are verry healthy and beautiful fish. I always wonder why they are cosnidered rare. they are 49$ but the place is generaly way over priced .. true percs are 49$ also..

Re: A.Nigripes? How Many People Have Them!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15473588#post15473588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tyler.L
Hey everyone a local supplier says hes able to get some from a sri lankan distributor just nervous on if they actually are nigripes....

if anyone has them post how some pics and how well they behave

thanks!

They aren't hard to get or rare so much that they are terrible shippers and the wholesalers are reluctant to get them. They succumb very readily to brook infections and things of the like that normal clowns do but they are especially sensitive to them. In my old days of working fish retail I got them in from time to time and I had a really hard time quarantining them and getting them to adjust.

But they are beautiful fish and are hardy once they get past the quarantine period and adjsut to captivity.

I ordered I ordered 7 from SWF.com for like $25 ea. Four died within hours of arrival. I had them re-shipped. Within about a week all but three were dead. I think one of those died within six months. Out of 11 fish, only a pair survived a year after purchase. It was all a matter of shipping and stress. I do not recall ever seeing any sign of disease on any of them.
The pair NEVER EVER come out of hiding when they can see me. I have had them for about two years.

I've kept almost every clown on the market at one time or another and these are by far the most difficult I have encountered. If I were you I would save my money and buy something else. They're easy to find but the odds are against them surviving. If you can find tank raised, I would get those.

I have had lots of trouble with these guys in the past. But the last three I got did just fine. They also set at the LFS for a few days in a crowded system. But this is NOT the norm. And even the tank raised don't always ship well. And I see them on list from time to time. They are not too hard to get. But yes like everyone has said they can be hard to keep alive.

Amy

Back